or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Am I Crazy - Page 3

post #61 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vcize View Post
 

Do people really pick their tips up every time they get on a lift? 

Skied at Whistler last week and Peak Chair was close enough to the cornice at the top that you had to pick up the tips, which was fine except that everyone who skis at Whistler seems to bring the bar down--one of those bars with the foot rests--and everyone wants to leave the bar down until the last possible second, which is past the cornice. My legs are too long to get my skis up on the foot rests--my knees hit the bar--and with skis under the footrests the tips barely clear the cornice. Had a few close calls. That place is gaper central, but some mightly fine skiing to be had. 

post #62 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgoat View Post
 

Skied at Whistler last week and Peak Chair was close enough to the cornice at the top that you had to pick up the tips, which was fine except that everyone who skis at Whistler seems to bring the bar down--one of those bars with the foot rests--and everyone wants to leave the bar down until the last possible second, which is past the cornice. My legs are too long to get my skis up on the foot rests--my knees hit the bar--and with skis under the footrests the tips barely clear the cornice. Had a few close calls. That place is gaper central, but some mightly fine skiing to be had. 


It's quite different, Canada vs USA in this regard.  We religiously put the bar down..you can be ejected from the resort and have your ticket revoked for not putting the bar down and leaving it down until the last tower.  I have to remember that in the US there isn't the same bar doctrine..

post #63 of 84
Go to a dealer that sells the ski. Ask them to send the skis back. You have a better chance of getting them replaced.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoabMtnBiker View Post

I have tried to contact them, they have yet to respond.  I actually just sent a second e-mail the other day after having waited a week.  I informed them that a ski had been damaged and inquired about the cost of replacement.  It was not the ski manufactures fault and they don't owe me anything.  Hopefully they will take pity on me and give me a deal.
post #64 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott43 View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgoat View Post
 

Skied at Whistler last week and Peak Chair was close enough to the cornice at the top that you had to pick up the tips, which was fine except that everyone who skis at Whistler seems to bring the bar down--one of those bars with the foot rests--and everyone wants to leave the bar down until the last possible second, which is past the cornice. My legs are too long to get my skis up on the foot rests--my knees hit the bar--and with skis under the footrests the tips barely clear the cornice. Had a few close calls. That place is gaper central, but some mightly fine skiing to be had. 


It's quite different, Canada vs USA in this regard.  We religiously put the bar down..you can be ejected from the resort and have your ticket revoked for not putting the bar down and leaving it down until the last tower.  I have to remember that in the US there isn't the same bar doctrine..

Not everywhere in the US. New Hahmpsheer for example, they are not bar puller downers. Esp the race kids. Never use it. Meanwhile, next door in Vermont, it's a State law to put it down.

 

The west is all over the place I think. Baring things like the cornice clearance, I don't get why people wouldn't want to rest their legs as long as the footrest has rubber on it. It's good for your knees not to dangle the skis.

post #65 of 84
I'm 6'4. I hate people who use the bar with a passion, for obvious reasons.
post #66 of 84
Many lifts have no bars in the west.
post #67 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by MastersRacer View Post

Many lifts have no bars in the west.


Oak St. in Telluride..and it's such a cool lift too!  :D

post #68 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by levy1 View Post

can't hurt to ask for a new pair also I've sent them back to the manufacture bent before and received a new pair that way

I had a pair of K2 skis bend directly behind the heel binding after a really nasty high speed crash years ago. K2 replaced them with a brand new pair even though they were a couple of years old.

So it's worth giving them a call and asking.
post #69 of 84
I had a pair of Volkls fall off the top of the car get run over by a truck. I was working in a ski shop sent them back and vokl replaced them
post #70 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by MastersRacer View Post

Many lifts have no bars in the west.
I still kinda resent the safety bars at Alta, which only went in a few years ago. I'm glad we don't have foot rests, though; the make me nervous because it always seems awkward to disentangle my skis when it's time to unload.

OTOH, I know some people don't like their heels hanging above an abyss or whose knees or ankles hurt with their skis hanging beneath them, so I try to be sympathetic with others when they insist on using lift accoutrements. The first time it happened at Alta I made some kind of comment, and the poor guy who pulled the bar down told me a scary lift story that sounded so bad that I ended up congratulating him on getting on a ski lift so soon. I don't remember anything about the story, just how rigid his face got when he told it.

So I try to be nice. It's not easy, though.
post #71 of 84

I would really like to know what binding he had, so I would know what not to buy.  Even my Solomon 202 would have eventually forced my foot to one side or the other before ripping me off the chair.

post #72 of 84
Salomon.

Seems to be a common problem with that brand..
post #73 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by clink83 View Post

I'm 6'4. I hate people who use the bar with a passion, for obvious reasons.

I'm only 6' (or at least I used to be--I was down to 5'11 5/8 last I checked) but I have the legs of a 7 footer and the trunk of a five footer, so the foot rests are very tough for me. (For you climbers out there my ape index is +6 inches).

 

As far as releasing, the only binding that would have released in the OP's scenario would be a KNEE BINDING ( here we go :D).

post #74 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by clink83 View Post

I'm 6'4. I hate people who use the bar with a passion, for obvious reasons.


Get over it and learn to put your hand up in case someone is going to pull the bar down.

 

You can bet it's the sue happy american culture with a lack of "personal responsibility" being taken by skiers that all the bars are being installed.

 

It's tragic also but Alta had a fatality a few years back from a child sliding off the chair.

Sugarbowl last season had a fatality. I think it was 7 yr old.

Many of the other resorts that put them in suddenly probably had fatalities or close calls as well.

 

I know Snowmass, the lift operators lower the bar for kids riding alone on several of the chairs. They also try to pair up kids with willing adults so that kids are not riding alone.

Sugarbowl has very strict policy on bar usage for kids. If a child is under a certain height without an adult, the lift op is mandated to assist with loading and to lower the bar.

For our ski school instructors, We have to call out to the lift ops person that "we will handle the bar" if we don't want them to lower it automatically. When I'm working with real small kids, Often I'm bent over making sure the kids are all the way on and if the lift op doesn't see that they lower the bar before I get a chance to sit back so I always take responsibility for lowering the bar. If I'm one on one and having to lift a child into the chair, I'm happy that the lift op is lowering the bar so I can concentrate on the child.

post #75 of 84

and except for a few specific bindings, (knee being one of them) I don't think very many have a straight up release on the toe. Most have to be diagonal or sideways then up.

 

Salomon Drivers were pivot diagonally. I still have a few of them.;

 

Almont ((sp)now defunct) had a toe piece that actually pivoted straight up as well as had wings to the side.

Burt, Moog, and Spademan come to mind as bindings that released in all directions, Heel and toe.

I believe Look had an integrated boot/binding system at one point that also had full release in all directions but someone can correct me on that.

post #76 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by dchan View Post


It's tragic also but Alta had a fatality a few years back from a child sliding off the chair.
Sugarbowl last season had a fatality. I think it was 7 yr old.
Many of the other resorts that put them in suddenly probably had fatalities or close calls as well.

I'm 6'3", and I don't hate the bar, but do hate people who lower it without warning.

I'm glad they are adding bars for the reason listed above. I have a three year old who I take skiing, and I know I feel safer with the bar down when he's on the chair. I can only imagine how much safer it'll make it when he's just a bit older and riding the chair with friends or in a ski school class. Or even when his sister is old enough and I need to worry about keeping two little ones safe on the chair.

Even if little kids are riding properly, they're small and their rear ends don't slide as far back onto the chair as an adult's or even an older kid's.
post #77 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeRourke View Post


I'm 6'3", and I don't hate the bar, but do hate people who lower it without warning.

I'm glad they are adding bars for the reason listed above. I have a three year old who I take skiing, and I know I feel safer with the bar down when he's on the chair. I can only imagine how much safer it'll make it when he's just a bit older and riding the chair with friends or in a ski school class. Or even when his sister is old enough and I need to worry about keeping two little ones safe on the chair.

Even if little kids are riding properly, they're small and their rear ends don't slide as far back onto the chair as an adult's or even an older kid's.

I'll give you that.

 

The Alta bars have "hooks" that hit the chair between each person's legs so a kid can't slide out from under the bar..

 

I believe a few of the major accidents were with kids "goofing around" on the chair even with the bar down, sliding under the bar.

post #78 of 84

The worst are the bars that have a handle that come down to the seat--when people slam those down it's easy to get gored on the thigh. Even when they give a warning that the bar is coming down they usually don't give you the time (or the room) to move over. I do like bars with maps on them when I'm skiing out of town, though.

post #79 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgoat View Post
 

The worst are the bars that have a handle that come down to the seat--when people slam those down it's easy to get gored on the thigh. Even when they give a warning that the bar is coming down they usually don't give you the time (or the room) to move over. I do like bars with maps on them when I'm skiing out of town, though.


Agreed...

 

When I'm with kids, I call out, SIT BACK, BAR COMING DOWN, WATCH YOUR ARMS. (because often kids will grab the side bar as they hop on the chair)

 

When with adults or peers, I generally call out, HEADS UP! BAR COMING DOWN, Then Check to make sure everyone is ready, Then slowly lower the bar. If I see there are those leg stops, I will slow as it gets close and add to my warning "AND LEGS" and let everyone adjust before lowering it all the way.

post #80 of 84
I tell people the bar is coming down and to move out of the way, then watch until they do, then pull it down slowly. I've had guys who were on the chair with their buddies snatch the bar after my announcement and pull the thing down on their friends' heads, so now I hold it up as I lower it more than I pull. You are safe with me. But it's coming down..
post #81 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by sibhusky View Post

I'm wondering, since you are not tall beyond that many other people, and your skis are not that long, only 179, why this didn't remove twenty other people from the lift that day?

 

Exactly my thoughts, the OP is neither tall or skis on long skis 179 isn't a long ski, I don't think the mountain or K2 for that matter should have to pay for his skis, maybe a replacement at cost. I am pretty sure people of the same height or taller and with longer skis got, on and off that lift all day long with no issues, or the resort would have shut the lift down and redid the ramp. To answer his question in title of the thread, yes is the answer, you are crazy. 

post #82 of 84

I must have been on the lift with some Canadian yesterday because before the chair had left the loading platform, the bar was coming down. :)

 

I also saw some significant melting in front of the loading platform on a few lifts that were exposing the ground the reverting to snow, but no places to hook a tip under it, fortunately.

post #83 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by MastersRacer View Post
 

I must have been on the lift with some Canadian yesterday because before the chair had left the loading platform, the bar was coming down. :)

 

I also saw some significant melting in front of the loading platform on a few lifts that were exposing the ground the reverting to snow, but no places to hook a tip under it, fortunately.


I do apologize on behalf of all Canadians!  :D

post #84 of 84

:beercheer:

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott43 View Post
 


I do apologize on behalf of all Canadians!  :D

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Skiing Discussion