or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › EpicSki Community › Trip Reports  › Alta Spring goodness [April, plus Snowbird into May]
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Alta Spring goodness [April, plus Snowbird into May] - Page 8

post #211 of 229
The bottom of Ski Patrol Gully was a bit thin, clicking off and a bit of rock walking was in order.







After that we headed over to the front side to the road to Provo and regulator, both skied well as the daytime temps loosened up the snow. The Cirque Traverse loosened up a bit earlier today, edgeable fairly quickly in the morning. Unfortunately my favorite lower cirque lines mushed out quickly. So once again we leisurely chilled in the sunshine.



The run down from the lower cirque was enough to chase us higher on the ridge line. We made two laps on the Diagonals and called it a season.

What a ride... as always.
post #212 of 229

Great to see another post.  That snow sure holds up.  After not skiing for two weeks, I'd take that mush without complaint.  Hopefully ski you next year.

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobMc View Post

The bottom of Ski Patrol Gully was a bit thin, clicking off and a bit of rock walking was in order.







After that we headed over to the front side to the road to Provo and regulator, both skied well as the daytime temps loosened up the snow. The Cirque Traverse loosened up a bit earlier today, edgeable fairly quickly in the morning. Unfortunately my favorite lower cirque lines mushed out quickly. So once again we leisurely chilled in the sunshine.



The run down from the lower cirque was enough to chase us higher on the ridge line. We made two laps on the Diagonals and called it a season.

What a ride... as always.
post #213 of 229

As they said, “All good things must come to an end.” Snowbird will be open for another weekend, but the past weekend was our last days of the season. The snow was a bit sticky on both Friday and Saturday but corned up nicely on Sunday.

 

Holding up each other on Regulator

 

 

The snow was so sticky that we had to pull each other along on the catwalk.

 

 

Baby_Grump doing PT on the snow to burn off excess energy while waiting for Mom. It's good to be young.

 

 

Tiptoeing thru the crud n South Chute.

 

 

South Chute looks a bit steeper than I remembered or am I just short?

 

 

The smile on the last run down south chute said it all.

 

 

It has been a great season. Sad to go but looking forward to summer, fall and next season.

post #214 of 229

It was a great time at Snowbird.  Sure will be missing it until I can get back that way.

post #215 of 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by lady_Salina View Post
 

It was a great time at Snowbird.  Sure will be missing it until I can get back that way.

 

Defintely Whistler next season. I'm sure we can work in the bird somewhere.

post #216 of 229

trip report just incase some of you missed it...

 

http://www.epicski.com/t/127749/utah-spring-2014-april-2nd-15th-trip-report-with-video

 

also main reason i am posting in this thread... looking at my old vids... 

 

where have the porcupines gone form Supreme???

post #217 of 229

Ankle has fully recovered LETS GO!!!!Also been looking at Whistler next April

post #218 of 229

It's good to see you up and about.

 

Guess it's only a matter of time before we start a Whistler stoke thread.

post #219 of 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Boot View Post
 

Ankle has fully recovered LETS GO!!!!Also been looking at Whistler next April


Remember. All ski trips start with Day 2.....

post #220 of 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnL View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Boot View Post
 

Ankle has fully recovered LETS GO!!!!Also been looking at Whistler next April


Remember. All ski trips start with Day 2.....

 

I guess we'll just have to go shopping on day 1.

OB, bring money - LS have expensive taste.

post #221 of 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnL View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Boot View Post
 

Ankle has fully recovered LETS GO!!!!Also been looking at Whistler next April


Remember. All ski trips start with Day 2.....

 

That is JohnL's gentle way of saying he sees what may be an ominous amount of enthusiasm in that all-caps-followed-by-four-exclamation-points expression of "let's go".

post #222 of 229

And my trip is finally complete.  I've been to visit the Grump's at their summer home in New York and retrieve the skis that somehow grew and wouldn't fit in the luggage that originally accompanied me to Snowbird this winter. The skis have now been retrieved and are on their way home to be tuned up and readied for the coming season.

post #223 of 229

Fed-Ex overnite got nothing on us.

post #224 of 229
Who knew there were days the Grumps weren't on the slopes?
post #225 of 229

Silently, I've followed this thread, jealous that I could not be in Little Cottenwood Canyon with the Grumps, JohnL and LS. It was great to reunite with y'all during the Gathering. I know how Boot and Ski-3PO feel to be sidelined and just watch others getting the goods.. High on my priority next season is to spend 10 days early spring in the west, so, keep me in mind when selecting where to go. Bruce ,if Straton in December is still on your agenda, let me know.

 

Mrs. Grump needs to get a new name as she is about the least Grumpy person I've met at the Gatherings. King Grump is a trip to ski/talk with. At Alta, he kept telling me not to breath when skiing, because there is no oxygen at that elevation. The corollary is to ski without using muscles. All said with a straight face. 

 

Damn, I wish we all could ski tomorrow.

post #226 of 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by Living Proof View Post
 

Silently, I've followed this thread, jealous that I could not be in Little Cottenwood Canyon with the Grumps, JohnL and LS. It was great to reunite with y'all during the Gathering. I know how Boot and Ski-3PO feel to be sidelined and just watch others getting the goods.. High on my priority next season is to spend 10 days early spring in the west, so, keep me in mind when selecting where to go. Bruce ,if Straton in December is still on your agenda, let me know.

 

Mrs. Grump needs to get a new name as she is about the least Grumpy person I've met at the Gatherings. King Grump is a trip to ski/talk with. At Alta, he kept telling me not to breath when skiing, because there is no oxygen at that elevation. The corollary is to ski without using muscles. All said with a straight face.

 

Damn, I wish we all could ski tomorrow.

 

Hi Mike,

 

Still too early to think about next season. Will shoot you a PM as soon as I hear from my boss.

BTW, I'm just a jelly fish in ski clothes so the no muscle thing is pretty close to the truth. 

post #227 of 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by lady_Salina View Post
 

And my trip is finally complete.  I've been to visit the Grump's at their summer home in New York and retrieve the skis that somehow grew and wouldn't fit in the luggage that originally accompanied me to Snowbird this winter. The skis have now been retrieved and are on their way home to be tuned up and readied for the coming season.

 

Reminds me of a scene from Goodfellas...

 

Lisa, you got made.

post #228 of 229
The Grumps were apparently just back from their stints working the podium at Le Tour.
post #229 of 229

Just to dispel the myth that we are Snowbird snobs. We do make it to other areas.

It was a spectacular season - we skied eight other areas besides the bird. In no particular order – Mammoth, Stratton, Sundance, Deer Valley, Alta, Park City, Sun Valley and Jackson Hole.

 

Had fun at all of them, regardless of their reputation. Even the groomers were fun. 

     

 

 

Daly Chute #4 -  My favorite groomer at Deer Valley - The undisputed groomer capital of the western ski world. 

 

 

Entry to Daly Chute #4 - perfectly manicured snow. Too bad we had to ski over it instead of on it. 

 

It all goes to show we will manage to have fun regardless where we are - it's just a state of mind. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Trip Reports
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › EpicSki Community › Trip Reports  › Alta Spring goodness [April, plus Snowbird into May]