or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › Mountain/Resort Related Forums › Resorts, Conditions & Travel › Stowe, VT leading up to Easter?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Stowe, VT leading up to Easter?

post #1 of 12
Thread Starter 
Due to unusual snowfall in MD this year.... The children are losing a big part of their spring break due to too many days missed because of the flakes. I've got 4 days 16-19 April that we can get away for a drivable, extended ski weekend.

I've heard good things about Stowe Mountain....any others I should be considering? momma and kids like cruisers, not big fans of moguls. Girls 8 & 10 are level 4-5 skiers (According to Vail Ski lesson programs). Da wife is a solid intermediate skier.
post #2 of 12

The timeframe you're considering is going to be closing weekend for Stowe.  Northern Vermont got a lot of snow in March, so I imagine they're setup well in terms of snowpack for April.

 

However, Stowe closes down their Spruce Peak side early (or at least they usually do), which leaves the gondola (which might also get shut down) and Mt. Mansfield.  Based on your description of your skiing abilities, Mt. Mansfield by itself might not provide enough variety for several days.

 

I'd suggest looking in more southern Vermont -- Okemo, Stratton, Mt. Snow area.  Those places are known for gobs of intermediate cruising trails, and they're all fairly close to each other.  I'm not sure how they're setup for snowpack and/or closing dates this year though.  New England ski areas are usually pretty deserted come April, so you can always "wait and see" to see how the snow pack holds up.

post #3 of 12

the thing is our ski school is shut, but private lessons are still going on, Privates will be the only game in town after this sunday. it is a shame because spruce closes this sunday as does the gondi and everything that is closing is 100 percent wall to wall to coverage. 

 

Every place that time of year every place in the country gets bumps by mid day due to soft snow from warm weather. IMO the coverage should be great though up here and we have a ton of instructors that can teach your wife and kids how to ski slush/slush bumps. 

 

I will not be here,but I can recommend others who will be. Good luck.

post #4 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadskis21774 View Post

Due to unusual snowfall in MD this year.... The children are losing a big part of their spring break due to too many days missed because of the flakes. I've got 4 days 16-19 April that we can get away for a drivable, extended ski weekend.

I've heard good things about Stowe Mountain....any others I should be considering? momma and kids like cruisers, not big fans of moguls. Girls 8 & 10 are level 4-5 skiers (According to Vail Ski lesson programs). Da wife is a solid intermediate skier.

We are in the same boat and going up the same week. Instead of a tropical vacation we thought of doing something local when the wife surprised me and suggested a second skiing trip. We are going to Jay. From what I hear it is the best snow this time of year. My girls are 9 and 11. Wife is an intermediate. Realize Jay may be more advanced but the waterpark and ice skating should mix in nicely with the days on the mountain.

In the past I have done Killington in April. We used to have a place there so we went all the time (until coincidentally we moved to Md for awhile). They had a great winter too and always make enough snow to stay open real late (got a tweet that closing day is 7/4 this year).

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Tapatalk
post #5 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Matta View Post
 

the thing is our ski school is shut, but private lessons are still going on, Privates will be the only game in town after this sunday. it is a shame because spruce closes this sunday as does the gondi and everything that is closing is 100 percent wall to wall to coverage. 

 

Every place that time of year every place in the country gets bumps by mid day due to soft snow from warm weather. IMO the coverage should be great though up here and we have a ton of instructors that can teach your wife and kids how to ski slush/slush bumps. 

 

I will not be here,but I can recommend others who will be. Good luck.

 

Josh, you should mention the terrific half-price lesson deal (according to Diane at Stowe, it goes through the end of the season).

post #6 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakespapa View Post
 

 

Josh, you should mention the terrific half-price lesson deal (according to Diane at Stowe, it goes through the end of the season).

 

 

very true^^^^ half price private lessons till the end of the of the season from april 7th on. 

post #7 of 12

We're heading up to Stowe on April 12 for 4 nights.  I thought our skiing was done for the year ( we're outside Philly)  but a great deal at the Von Trapp lodge over the kids Spring break was too good to miss.

I was hoping for some insider info on Stowe & spring skiing ..... we're groomer skiiers and usually up early but would conditions be extremely icy first thing and we'd be better off starting late morning when it warms up and softens?

Also our 6 yr old skis Greens & Blues  ( Poconos & Okemo this year) and I know the Greens will all be closed by then .... can you suggest some Blue runs off of Four Runner Quad & Mountain Triple that are less challenging ? 

 

The 8 & 10 yr olds like the Blues & Blacks so it looks like they will still have lots to choose from . 

post #8 of 12

Ski Dad,   I was at Stowe today Mon 7th and we started out at about 10am and the groomers from the top of the quad were pretty soft at that time, approx 40 deg at base and 32 at summit at that time.Before noon most of the groomed had gotten pretty soft/mashed potatos going to heavy wet snow, temps got to about 44 at the top by around noon-1pm. front 4 bump trails opened up around 11 and had slight glaze but softened up fast. Low down on the mt towards the lifts snow was getting very heavy after 2 of so. good thing about the soft snow on groomers is that the trails will ski slower especially helpful for your younger ones who are the green/blue skiers. Look for Lord/Standard Toll road for those trails and maybe ski off the triple chair for the blues and slightly easier terrain.

post #9 of 12
Thanks Snowbowler.  
post #10 of 12
Curious how this went.

Jay had fantastic conditions on Thursday and Friday. Best conditions I got to ski all year.

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Tapatalk
post #11 of 12
We skiied Monday in 72 degree weather and had a great time. We were limited to one chair as they didn't groom off the quad and our kids can't do bumps yet, but still had plenty of trails. It poured on Tuesday so we opted out of skiing, turned to snow around 8 and they reported 3-5 inches on the mountain by wed morning. Unfortunately we had to head back early so no skiing Wednesday ....... Curious how the snow would have been after 72 one day, rain the next day changing to snow and temps in the 20's..
post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA Ski Dad View Post

We skiied Monday in 72 degree weather and had a great time. We were limited to one chair as they didn't groom off the quad and our kids can't do bumps yet, but still had plenty of trails. It poured on Tuesday so we opted out of skiing, turned to snow around 8 and they reported 3-5 inches on the mountain by wed morning. Unfortunately we had to head back early so no skiing Wednesday ....... Curious how the snow would have been after 72 one day, rain the next day changing to snow and temps in the 20's..

Sounds like similar to what they had at Jay but later in the week got better. It was raining Saturday when we left though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Resorts, Conditions & Travel
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › Mountain/Resort Related Forums › Resorts, Conditions & Travel › Stowe, VT leading up to Easter?