This was my first time to the west and absolutely loved it. Great conditions at Vail Fri/Sat and can't really complain too much yesterday.
I rented a pair of Soul 7s for this outing (brought my own boots) and would like some feedback on what I experienced...
- No idea my numerical skiing level but I can handle most everything inside a resort well and usually prefer playing in the trees/bumps.
- Usual east coast equipment: Volkl 6* (168) and K2 Public Enemies (174ish)
What I rented:
- Soul 7s in 180
- Boy are these skis light. Make my PEs feel like they are made of stone despite toting around an extra 6cm
- Woods/bumps: despite the extra width and length I feel like these pivot on a dime. Granted these trees aren't *quite* as tight as northeast trees but after 2 runs I was flying down Champagne Glade with more confidence than my PEs. In the bumps, again despite their width and length, felt livelier than the PEs and more tolerant of late afternoon sloppiness.
- Gripe: On certain more firm pitches, I would get some pretty violent chatter on edge. Tried different weighting/pressure tactics but didn't seem to help. They also seemed slightly sloppy when at speed through crap snow.
- Were these skis the length I needed?
- How much of their awesomeness in the woods/bumps is due to rocker, soft tail, etc?
- Why might I have run into the chatter issue? Soft flex? Too lighta skier for the length? Iffy rental tune?
- If I were to buy a pair for back east, would 172 be applicable and how would the ski differently?
Thanks in advance!