or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › General Skiing Discussion › Sixth toes (tailors bunions)...will they be gone soon?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sixth toes (tailors bunions)...will they be gone soon?

post #1 of 10
Thread Starter 
It's been 10 days since I got tailors bunions after skiing almost 9 consecutive days in new boots in progress of fitting. They haven't really gone down in size at all.

Anyone had similar issues before--how much longer will it take for them to disappear?...I have had some foot soreness for a few days in the past but never had any problem like this before.
post #2 of 10

I had one pop up from skiing about 3 years ago -- still have it. I assumed it was something I would have the rest of my life. It does get a bit better in the off season since my ski boots aren't aggravating it, but it is always there.

post #3 of 10

What he said.  It may calm down, but it will likely be lurking, just waiting to attack again.  Try to get a good fit for your boots and hope for the best.

post #4 of 10

Quote:

Originally Posted by nochaser View Post

It's been 10 days since I got tailors bunions after skiing almost 9 consecutive days in new boots in progress of fitting. They haven't really gone down in size at all.

Anyone had similar issues before--how much longer will it take for them to disappear?...I have had some foot soreness for a few days in the past but never had any problem like this before.

http://www.methodistorthopedics.com/bunionette-tailors-bunion

Causes

How does a bunionette develop?

Today a bunionette is most likely caused by an abnormal bump over the end of the fifth metatarsal (the metatarsal head) rubbing on shoes that are too narrow. Some people's feet widen as they grow older, until the foot splays. This can cause a bunion on one side of the foot and a bunionette on the other if they continue to wear shoes that are too narrow. The constant pressure produces a callus and a thickening of the tissues over the bump, leading to a painful knob on the outside of the foot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_m View Post
 

What he said.  It may calm down, but it will likely be lurking, just waiting to attack again.  Try to get a good fit for your boots and hope for the best.

+ 1, Find a boot that actually fits the shape of your foot in your measured size and go with it. Imo, shell fit is everything.

post #5 of 10

It is not just boots that are too narrow that can cause them. I have a pair of boots that fit and skied well for about 80 days until the liners got packed out.  I delayed getting new ones and consequently developed tailor's bunions due to my foot rubbing a little all the time.  I replaced the liners and the rubbing stopped, but the bunions have not gone away, so I had to get the liners and shells punched.  I am afraid I will need to do that on all my new boots from now on.

post #6 of 10
Thread Starter 
Very disappointing...With these bunions, I can't ski any more in my existing boots. I may need to get a third pair with wider last. Really disappointing.
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by nochaser View Post

Very disappointing...With these bunions, I can't ski any more in my existing boots. I may need to get a third pair with wider last. Really disappointing.

 

Punching the boot should be a pretty straightforward and cheap solution.

post #8 of 10

It may be a matter of semantics, but tailor's bunions don't suddenly develop after 9 days of skiing; they're a bony misalignment and it takes awhile for the tissues to become permanently thickened or the bone itself to become enlarged. You more likely just have bursitis or swelling over your 5th metatarsal heads, both of which have a chance to self-resolve. If you can't get it to resolve with home treatment (I'll leave it to you to look that up) then a cortisone injection might help.

post #9 of 10
Thread Starter 
I may go see a pediotrist in a few weeks if the swellings don't go away.

The boots are in 95 last and got punched 5+ times, and I was told no more.. Weird thing is this particular pair, which I got last month that had problems since the beginning, are made out of the same mold as the other pair I had no problem with, only softer and with different liners.
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toecutter View Post
 

It may be a matter of semantics, but tailor's bunions don't suddenly develop after 9 days of skiing; they're a bony misalignment and it takes awhile for the tissues to become permanently thickened or the bone itself to become enlarged. You more likely just have bursitis or swelling over your 5th metatarsal heads, both of which have a chance to self-resolve. If you can't get it to resolve with home treatment (I'll leave it to you to look that up) then a cortisone injection might help.

I get 1/2 marble to 1/2 golf ball size lumps on the lateral malleolus from my inline speed skates, hate those dammed things (the speed skates). With inclement winters when we don't skate the lumps go down to where i can see my ankles again. How nice it would be to be able to do Alpine and Nordic skiing all year so i wouldn't have the need to skate in the off season! 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Skiing Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › General Skiing Discussion › Sixth toes (tailors bunions)...will they be gone soon?