- 528 Posts. Joined 11/2007
- Location: Frisco, CO
- Select All Posts By This User
Related Forum Threads
- Outside Magazine’s 2012 Ski Resort Rankings Last post on 11/7/12 at 7:44am in Resorts, Conditions & Travel
- Upcoming Wasatch Trip - Mar 30 - Apr 4 Last post on 4/16/17 at 8:06am in Resorts, Conditions & Travel
- Advice on best location (UT/WY) for a week of pow in early March [from Chicago] Last post on 3/7/17 at 9:39pm in Resorts, Conditions & Travel
- Early April Skiing with Kids? [a Family Skiing thread] Last post on 2/2/16 at 3:32pm in Family Skiing Discussions
- Alta and Snowbird Parking Recommendations Last post on 4/20/15 at 7:45pm in Resorts, Conditions & Travel
2016/17 Multi-Pass Options
Last edited: 10/24/16
- EpicSki Interview with Patrick Torsell of Ski Cooper: Part 2Last edited: 1/20/17
- Aspen Mountain, CO - A PictorialLast edited: 8/12/14
- Colorado Road Trip RecapLast edited: 8/29/15
- Alta - An Unofficial GuideLast edited: 10/23/13
Great fitting liner and good performance. Lace up tongue give solid all around fit and with the power strap keep shin in contact with the tongue. The spot kit would help with tweaking those spots...
Great day use area for the Springfield /Eugene crowd. At 6000ft elevation it is above most of the Oregon rain. With 1500 feet of drop off a high speed six pack it is a real ski area. No Lodging No...
Why ski here? -Blue Mountain is probably the best value in Eastern Pennsylvania. It has two high-speed, top-to-bottom lifts. That means you can get a ton of skiing in. At nearby mountains like Elk...
After seeing only two reviews, both of them from five years ago, I decided to add to Apex's reputation. If you're into skiing and don't care for the extras like shopping, cafes, restaurants,...
This is a great mid week mountain. Plenty of corduroy and no lift lines. They offer mid week deals depending on what state you live in which saves over 30 dollars. Nothing here that is called a...
Late season, last minute trip: where to go? [family from NY] - Page 2post #31 of 384/12/14 at 4:08pmFree-skied Breck yesterday, taught at WP today. Both phenomenal with big storm moving in.
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #32 of 384/14/14 at 5:23pm
Summit County is the most sensible choice in late April for a family of mixed ability range. The reasons were hashed over thoroughly in the other thread.post #33 of 384/14/14 at 9:40pmThread Starter
Well, Breck ended up being a terrific decision. I did my first above treeline, bowl, whole day powder and tree powder runs. All in the same day!
Wife had some serious altitude sickness in the first night though. She is better now.post #34 of 384/15/14 at 7:07am
I'm glad you had a great time. I hope your wife was able to enjoy herself eventually.
20/20 hindsight: always drink water, avoid alchohol, try to stay at a lower elevation (Denver) upon arrival when coming from lower elevations. Some people can come to elevation frequently and only occasionally get sick. It is unpredictable.post #35 of 384/15/14 at 10:43pmThread Starter
Yes, she is better. Thank you. She drinks 3-4 liters of water every day, so it must be her body.
We planned to stay at Denver, but the snow forecast might have meant that either we get stuck on the wrong side of the snow or drive through very bad conditions. So, had to ditch that plan. Next time!post #36 of 384/16/14 at 12:27pmQuote:She drinks 3-4 liters of water every day, so it must be her body
Now that you know she's sensitive, get her a Diamox prescription the next time you go to a 9,000+ foot resort. This solved the problem for my ex-wife.post #37 of 384/16/14 at 12:34pmBreck's base elevation is 9,600' -- notably higher than most other resorts. Altitude almost never bothers me, but I remember feeling it pretty strongly my first few days at Breck.
My wife is very altitude sensitive. Her biggest issue is trouble sleeping, and contrary to what some might say, sleeping pills help her more than Diamox. If she can sleep through the night the first two nights she ends up okay. If not, she's miserable.
- Late season, last minute trip: where to go? [family from NY]
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- EpicSki Interview with Patrick Torsell of Ski Cooper: Part 2
- › 2016-17 Colorado Weather Discussion 17 minutes ago
- › RIP EpicSki 1999-2017 18 minutes ago
- › Ballet Skis 150 cm 32 minutes ago
- › 2016 / 17 Tahoe Weather, Discussion & Stoke 48 minutes ago
- › Korean Mogul Lesson Video 49 minutes ago
- › OFFICIAL 2017 MLB THREAD...SUCK IT CHOWDS 1 hour, 13 minutes ago
- › Mammoth Mountain for 2016-2017 1 hour, 19 minutes ago
- › Rossignol Blackops 1 hour, 31 minutes ago
- › Quadriceps Tendon Rupture, Repair and Rehab 1 hour, 34 minutes ago
- › Recommendations for a Basic Tuning Kit 1 hour, 36 minutes ago
- › 2018 K2 Marksman Ski Review
- › 2018 Volkl 100Eight Ski Review
- › 2018 Salomon QST 118 Ski Review
- › 1000 Shuffles
- › Skate to shape drill
- › 2018 Blizzard Black Pearl 88 and 98...
- › 2018 Nordica Navigator 90 Ski Review
- › 2018 Volkl Kanjo Ski Review
- › 2018 Blizzard Women's Sheeva 10 Review
- › 2018 Blizzard Bonafide Ski Review