- 468 Posts. Joined 11/2007
- Location: Frisco, CO
- Select All Posts By This User
Related Forum Threads
- Outside Magazine’s 2012 Ski Resort Rankings Last post on 11/7/12 at 7:44am in Resorts, Conditions & Travel
- Early April Skiing with Kids? [a Family Skiing thread] Last post on 2/2/16 at 3:32pm in Family Skiing Discussions
- Alta and Snowbird Parking Recommendations Last post on 4/20/15 at 7:45pm in Resorts, Conditions & Travel
- Which ski area? Trip to CO, skiing Mar 30 - Apr 3 [driving from midwest with tweens, intermediates] Last post on 3/4/15 at 7:26pm in General Skiing Discussion
- Beginner Skier - Visit Snowbird Alta in April? Last post on 4/20/14 at 10:54pm in Resorts, Conditions & Travel
2016/17 Multi-Pass Options
Last edited: 10/17/16
- Aspen Mountain, CO - A PictorialLast edited: 8/12/14
- Colorado Road Trip RecapLast edited: 8/29/15
- Alta - An Unofficial GuideLast edited: 10/23/13
- Spring Snow Base PreparationLast edited: 4/24/11
Great performance , tecnica design is outstanding
The Cyclic is now in its 4th season with the only change being the top sheet graphics each year. No reason to change this ski, it is nearly flawless. Wider tip with rocker, camber, and tail rocker...
Nord-Dobe-Spitfire Pro EDT. GOD-HELL !! This is another ONE. Smooth. Damp. Grip. NO Chatter -At All. Warp-Drive. Nice transition from slip to grip. BIG SWEET SPOT. These were also the...
This is my home resort so I admit, I'm biased. But, I have been skiing seriously at Sunrise since 2009. It's located in the White Mountains of eastern Arizona. The main towns in the area are...
The mountain was almost lost a few years back, but the rally was made and it seems on solid ground. A very relaxed atmosphere and a nice lodge. Excellent crowded weekend escape from Sunday...
Late season, last minute trip: where to go? [family from NY] - Page 2post #31 of 384/12/14 at 4:08pmFree-skied Breck yesterday, taught at WP today. Both phenomenal with big storm moving in.
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #32 of 384/14/14 at 5:23pm
Summit County is the most sensible choice in late April for a family of mixed ability range. The reasons were hashed over thoroughly in the other thread.post #33 of 384/14/14 at 9:40pmThread Starter
Well, Breck ended up being a terrific decision. I did my first above treeline, bowl, whole day powder and tree powder runs. All in the same day!
Wife had some serious altitude sickness in the first night though. She is better now.post #34 of 384/15/14 at 7:07am
I'm glad you had a great time. I hope your wife was able to enjoy herself eventually.
20/20 hindsight: always drink water, avoid alchohol, try to stay at a lower elevation (Denver) upon arrival when coming from lower elevations. Some people can come to elevation frequently and only occasionally get sick. It is unpredictable.post #35 of 384/15/14 at 10:43pmThread Starter
Yes, she is better. Thank you. She drinks 3-4 liters of water every day, so it must be her body.
We planned to stay at Denver, but the snow forecast might have meant that either we get stuck on the wrong side of the snow or drive through very bad conditions. So, had to ditch that plan. Next time!post #36 of 384/16/14 at 12:27pmQuote:She drinks 3-4 liters of water every day, so it must be her body
Now that you know she's sensitive, get her a Diamox prescription the next time you go to a 9,000+ foot resort. This solved the problem for my ex-wife.post #37 of 384/16/14 at 12:34pmBreck's base elevation is 9,600' -- notably higher than most other resorts. Altitude almost never bothers me, but I remember feeling it pretty strongly my first few days at Breck.
My wife is very altitude sensitive. Her biggest issue is trouble sleeping, and contrary to what some might say, sleeping pills help her more than Diamox. If she can sleep through the night the first two nights she ends up okay. If not, she's miserable.
- Late season, last minute trip: where to go? [family from NY]
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Aspen Mountain, CO - A Pictorial
- › Saving boots for another kid 1 minute ago
- › 2016-17 Colorado Weather Discussion 13 minutes ago
- › How do i go from snow plow to a complete parallel turn? 1 hour, 26 minutes ago
- › First time buying skis - need suggestions please [mother skiing... 1 hour, 27 minutes ago
- › Demo bindings 1 hour, 30 minutes ago
- › Instructor recommendation for Stratton 1 hour, 36 minutes ago
- › Rossignol Soul 7 length? 6', 155 lbs. Trees. 1 hour, 42 minutes ago
- › Big Bear 2016-2017 1 hour, 50 minutes ago
- › Another What ski/size question, with a twist... 1 hour, 57 minutes ago
- › North American snow watch 2016- snow reports needed! 2 hours, 8 minutes ago
- › Tecnica Diablo Race Pro 110 Ski Boot - Men's by CowTown
- › 2015 Head Cyclic 115 Ski by snokat
- › 2014 Nordica Dobermann SLR EVO Ski by g-force
- › Sunrise Park Resort by mitchsb
- › Black Mountain of Maine by Maineac
- › Camden Snow Bowl by Maineac
- › Mt. Abram Family Resort by Maineac
- › Shawnee Peak Ski Area by Maineac
- › Chepelare by Tom Tough
- › 2014 K2 AMP Charger Ski by Jhernon
- › Undeterred Courage: An Interview with High...
- › Park City 2.0
- › Forsake Sneakerboots - The Convergence of...
- › Feeder Hill Highlights - Snow Ridge Ski Area...
- › EpicSki Interview with James Niehues
- › 2017 Nordica Women's Santa Ana Skis
- › 2017 Nordica Men's Alpine Ski Collection
- › Head Joy Collection - Women's Skis Done...
- › 2016/17 Multi-Pass Options
- › Learn to Ski in Summer