or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › Ski Training and Pro Forums › Fitness, Health, Nutrition, Injury, and Recovery › Should I ski this weekend? (ankle sprain with dorsiflexion)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Should I ski this weekend? (ankle sprain with dorsiflexion)

post #1 of 3
Thread Starter 

Last Sunday (March 16), I sprained my ankle in a particularly awkward way, two miles into my first mountain bike ride of the season.

On Monday (March 17), I went to Urgent Care and got x-rays of my ankle. No fracture. The PA I saw said I'd probably be fine to ski as soon as I could get my foot in the boot, since the boot holds the foot so still.

On Thursday (March 20), I saw a PT.  He observed that the injury involved dorsiflexion, which is why my Achilles hurts.  This made me wonder if I would be skiing quite as soon as the PA had predicted.

 

I can't take NSAIDs due to a medical condition, so I'm limited to ice and elevation (and rest, insofar as I am capable).

 

I'm pretty sure I'm not going to be skiing any real terrain while this is going on. But assuming my foot and ankle will fit in my ski boot without undo agony (and the jury's out on that one), with a skier's knowledge of how we use dorsiflexion to create shin pressure, how long do you think I should wait before getting on some groomers?

 

At this point, a week after the injury, I can do heel lifts without pain, but flexing my shin forward in classic skiing position definitely strains my Achilles. I have a pile of exercises given to me by my PT.  I want to ask him for his opinions when I see him next on Wednesday, but he's not an advanced skier, so I'm not sure he's as aware of the movement patterns as I would like him to be.

 

I have Friday planned as a ski day, but I'm not sure it's worth the drive up there if I try and instantly have to stop. At the same time, I think groomers will be way too crowded to bother with on the actual weekend.  I have friends who just flew in from PA, but I can meet up with them in the Front Range, too. I'm certainly not going to be skiing real terrain with them.

 

There are other complications, like trying to navigate what's usually pretty slippery terrain around our condo, plus dealing with two rambunctious dogs ... but right now I just want to think about the skiing. If skiing isn't even an option, I don't have to figure out the rest.

 

Opinions?  Should I wait until I can flex my shin forward outside of the boot without any pain or strain?

post #2 of 3

Monique, you are a better judge of what to do than a bunch of people on the internet.  If you have to ask the question, what do you think the answer is?  

 

Here's a decision tree for you:

 

 

 

 

 

                                       Probability(Further Injury) * (Loss of Satisfaction of Additional Time Lost to Injury) 

 

Should I go    ??? 

 

                                      (1-Probability(Further Injury))*(Satisfaction of Skiing Now with Self Imposed Restrictions)

                                                    

 

 

It's supposed to snow Wed-Friday.  With your injury, do you think skiing in variable snow at warmer temps is likely to increase the stress on your ankle thus raising the probability of injury?  And will missing a weekend of skiing significantly move your recovery along?

 

You could use your time to study for the ITC.  And the skiing for the ITC is pretty tame...

 

Mike

post #3 of 3
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by habacomike View Post
 

Monique, you are a better judge of what to do than a bunch of people on the internet.  If you have to ask the question, what do you think the answer is?  

 

Here's a decision tree for you:

 

 

 

 

 

                                       Probability(Further Injury) * (Loss of Satisfaction of Additional Time Lost to Injury) 

 

Should I go    ??? 

 

                                      (1-Probability(Further Injury))*(Satisfaction of Skiing Now with Self Imposed Restrictions)

                                                    

 

 

It's supposed to snow Wed-Friday.  With your injury, do you think skiing in variable snow at warmer temps is likely to increase the stress on your ankle thus raising the probability of injury?  And will missing a weekend of skiing significantly move your recovery along?

 

You could use your time to study for the ITC.  And the skiing for the ITC is pretty tame...

 

Mike

 

Pbbthbbb!  You are no fun!

 

Okay, what if I asked the question differently: If there is any pain in my Achilles during forward flexion, should I avoid skiing until there is no more pain? But you know, when I simplify it down to that, it sure seems like the answer is "Of course you should avoid skiing until it stops hurting" - doesn't it?


Bah.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › Ski Training and Pro Forums › Fitness, Health, Nutrition, Injury, and Recovery › Should I ski this weekend? (ankle sprain with dorsiflexion)