or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › General Skiing Discussion › Hello from an un-retired skier....
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Hello from an un-retired skier....

post #1 of 14
Thread Starter 

First post here and not sure if this is the correct place for intros, so mods feel free to move this if need be.  Let me start by saying Hello everyone, I'm glad I found this site.  I have been lurking for a few weeks now and decided it was time to jump in.  My name is Chris and I'm an alch.....oh Sorry, wrong group.  I'm 45 and stuck in the Midwest, Missouri to be exact, so my skiing opportunities are very limited.  The very reason I had not skied in over 20 years. I started skiing just out of HS while in the Army stationed at El Paso TX. We would go to NM and ski Ruidoso. Then got stationed in Germany where I fell in love with skiing. I was able to ski all over Germany, Austria, and Switzerland (loved those AAFES trips!) and managed to log quite a significant amount of time on the slopes being single.  As luck would have it, I PCS'ed to Colorado Springs but had recently gotten married and started our family, so I only went 3-4 times while in CO.    When I got out of the military and moved back to MO. I couldn't fathom the idea of going to our local ski "hill" after skiing Europe and the Rockies, and could not afford trips back to CO, so I sold my equipment and had not strapped on a set of skis until this past season. I could not believe how much had changed in the last 20+ years, Of course those were the days of long skinny planks and rear entry boots. When the kid at the renal place handed me my skies I told him they were waaayy too short, he just laughed and said they'll work just fine. I was shocked at how quickly it came back to me,  sorta like riding a bike. First trip I was trying to ski the way I had skied all those years ago, and quickly realized these were not my 200cm Blizzards from back in the day.  Came home, did a little research on the technique needed for modern skis, and took that back to the hill with me.  WOW what a difference!  Now I am totally hooked again and am driving the wifey nuts.  All my free time is spent looking at skiing related topics, videos, equipment, and of course, EPICSKI.  I have started a training program to try to get my fat lazy butt into some sort of shape for next season, and have the wife talked into giving it a try as well.  I have learned so much from you all and look forward to being active on the forum and continuing to learn.  I do regret selling my gear all those years ago and going on hiatus, but at least I have rediscovered something I once loved so much!  

 

Chris

post #2 of 14

If you own more than five pair of skis you may have a problem.

Otherwise, welcome!

If you have been reading here you should know that properly fitted boots are one, two and three on the equipment list.

All that other stuff is cool but boots are key.

post #3 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakine View Post
 

 

If you have been reading here you should know that properly fitted boots are one, two and three on the equipment list.

All that other stuff is cool but boots are key.

What he said.

You can have a quiver of fancy pants, but if your undies bring tears to the eyes it just won't matter.

Metaphorically speaking, of course.

D1

 

PS: I have way over 5 pairs of skis. But I don't find it to be a problem at all.:beercheer:

post #4 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakine View Post
 

If you own more than five pair of skis  you may have a problem you have been spending too much time here 

Otherwise, welcome!

If you have been reading here you should know that properly fitted boots are one, two and three on the equipment list.

All that other stuff is cool but boots are key.

 

FIFY

post #5 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MObowhunter View Post
 

First post here and not sure if this is the correct place for intros, so mods feel free to move this if need be.  Let me start by saying Hello everyone, I'm glad I found this site.  I have been lurking for a few weeks now and decided it was time to jump in.  My name is Chris and I'm an alch.....oh Sorry, wrong group.  I'm 45 and stuck in the Midwest, Missouri to be exact, so my skiing opportunities are very limited.  The very reason I had not skied in over 20 years. I started skiing just out of HS while in the Army stationed at El Paso TX. We would go to NM and ski Ruidoso. Then got stationed in Germany where I fell in love with skiing. I was able to ski all over Germany, Austria, and Switzerland (loved those AAFES trips!) and managed to log quite a significant amount of time on the slopes being single.  As luck would have it, I PCS'ed to Colorado Springs but had recently gotten married and started our family, so I only went 3-4 times while in CO.    When I got out of the military and moved back to MO. I couldn't fathom the idea of going to our local ski "hill" after skiing Europe and the Rockies, and could not afford trips back to CO, so I sold my equipment and had not strapped on a set of skis until this past season. I could not believe how much had changed in the last 20+ years, Of course those were the days of long skinny planks and rear entry boots. When the kid at the renal place handed me my skies I told him they were waaayy too short, he just laughed and said they'll work just fine. I was shocked at how quickly it came back to me,  sorta like riding a bike. First trip I was trying to ski the way I had skied all those years ago, and quickly realized these were not my 200cm Blizzards from back in the day.  Came home, did a little research on the technique needed for modern skis, and took that back to the hill with me.  WOW what a difference!  Now I am totally hooked again and am driving the wifey nuts.  All my free time is spent looking at skiing related topics, videos, equipment, and of course, EPICSKI.  I have started a training program to try to get my fat lazy butt into some sort of shape for next season, and have the wife talked into giving it a try as well.  I have learned so much from you all and look forward to being active on the forum and continuing to learn.  I do regret selling my gear all those years ago and going on hiatus, but at least I have rediscovered something I once loved so much!  

 

Chris

 

 

Round is a shape:D

 

Welcome back to the addiction!

post #6 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MObowhunter View Post
 

First post here and not sure if this is the correct place for intros, so mods feel free to move this if need be.  Let me start by saying Hello everyone, I'm glad I found this site.  I have been lurking for a few weeks now and decided it was time to jump in.  My name is Chris and I'm an alch.....oh Sorry, wrong group.  I'm 45 and stuck in the Midwest, Missouri to be exact, so my skiing opportunities are very limited.  The very reason I had not skied in over 20 years. I started skiing just out of HS while in the Army stationed at El Paso TX. We would go to NM and ski Ruidoso. Then got stationed in Germany where I fell in love with skiing. I was able to ski all over Germany, Austria, and Switzerland (loved those AAFES trips!) and managed to log quite a significant amount of time on the slopes being single.  As luck would have it, I PCS'ed to Colorado Springs but had recently gotten married and started our family, so I only went 3-4 times while in CO.    When I got out of the military and moved back to MO. I couldn't fathom the idea of going to our local ski "hill" after skiing Europe and the Rockies, and could not afford trips back to CO, so I sold my equipment and had not strapped on a set of skis until this past season. I could not believe how much had changed in the last 20+ years, Of course those were the days of long skinny planks and rear entry boots. When the kid at the renal place handed me my skies I told him they were waaayy too short, he just laughed and said they'll work just fine. I was shocked at how quickly it came back to me,  sorta like riding a bike. First trip I was trying to ski the way I had skied all those years ago, and quickly realized these were not my 200cm Blizzards from back in the day.  Came home, did a little research on the technique needed for modern skis, and took that back to the hill with me.  WOW what a difference!  Now I am totally hooked again and am driving the wifey nuts.  All my free time is spent looking at skiing related topics, videos, equipment, and of course, EPICSKI.  I have started a training program to try to get my fat lazy butt into some sort of shape for next season, and have the wife talked into giving it a try as well.  I have learned so much from you all and look forward to being active on the forum and continuing to learn.  I do regret selling my gear all those years ago and going on hiatus, but at least I have rediscovered something I once loved so much!  

 

Chris

Welcome to EpicSki!  You'll fit right in.

 

One suggestion for the wife . . . have her start with some lessons.  You might also take a look at the Beginner Zone to see if there are tips you can keep it mind for her.  But let someone else get her started.

post #7 of 14

Welcome to Epicski.  If you are determined to resume this addiction, then I strongly recommend you purchase a pass to your local ski area for next year NOW.  They will be cheapest right now through the end of the season and it's a lot easier to go skiing, if you know you've already paid for the lifts. 

post #8 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by marznc View Post
 

Welcome to EpicSki!  You'll fit right in.

 

One suggestion for the wife . . . have her start with some lessons.  You might also take a look at the Beginner Zone to see if there are tips you can keep it mind for her.  But let someone else get her started.

 

 

YES!!!! Great advice marznc...something I've learned the hard way through the years. Lessons are definitely in her future. 

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone.  

post #9 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakine View Post
 

If you own more than five pair of skis you may have a problem.

Otherwise, welcome!

If you have been reading here you should know that properly fitted boots are one, two and three on the equipment list.

All that other stuff is cool but boots are key.

 

Yes, that seems to be the consensus, and I totally get it.  That will be my first purchase,  there are just so many choices now days. :eek

Quote:
Originally Posted by UGASkiDawg View Post
 

 

 

Round is a shape:D

 

Welcome back to the addiction!

Yeah, just not the shape I'm looking for.....guess I could just roll down the mountain, don't need no stinkin' skis.....ahhhh....to be young and thin again.  ;)

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirquerider View Post
 

Welcome to Epicski.  If you are determined to resume this addiction, then I strongly recommend you purchase a pass to your local ski area for next year NOW.  They will be cheapest right now through the end of the season and it's a lot easier to go skiing, if you know you've already paid for the lifts. 

That is great advice there Cirquerider!   I think that's what I'm gonna do.  :D

 

Thanks to everyone for the warm welcomes! :D 

post #10 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MObowhunter View Post
 

 

Yes, that seems to be the consensus, and I totally get it.  That will be my first purchase,  there are just so many choices now days. :eek

 

 

The best recommendation I can make about the choice of boots is to not make the choice. Find yourself a good bootfitter, and let him/her do the choosing for you. And a bootfitter is different from a guy who sells boots in a shop. Go over to the Ask the Boot Guys forums and ask for a recommendation from them about a good bootfitter in your area. Go to their shop, let them work their voodoo, and plunk down the cash for whatever they put on your feet. And now is a good time for buying gear, just like it's a good time for buying passes. Right now shops are trying to dump stock, either because they need the space for their summer stuff, or they are closing up shop for the summer, and don't want that stuff sitting in the closed shop til October. There are some shops you can go into in mid Summer and get boots, but there are drawbacks to that. First, a lot of multiseason shops won't have much stock in the shop, as the floor real estate has been given over to biking and such. Also, the bootfitter is less likely to be in the shop, he might be on vacation, or elsewise occupied. Now is the time.

post #11 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by freeski919 View Post
 

 

The best recommendation I can make about the choice of boots is to not make the choice. Find yourself a good bootfitter, and let him/her do the choosing for you. And a bootfitter is different from a guy who sells boots in a shop. Go over to the Ask the Boot Guys forums and ask for a recommendation from them about a good bootfitter in your area. Go to their shop, let them work their voodoo, and plunk down the cash for whatever they put on your feet. And now is a good time for buying gear, just like it's a good time for buying passes. Right now shops are trying to dump stock, either because they need the space for their summer stuff, or they are closing up shop for the summer, and don't want that stuff sitting in the closed shop til October. There are some shops you can go into in mid Summer and get boots, but there are drawbacks to that. First, a lot of multiseason shops won't have much stock in the shop, as the floor real estate has been given over to biking and such. Also, the bootfitter is less likely to be in the shop, he might be on vacation, or elsewise occupied. Now is the time.

Thanks freeski919, headed that way now!

post #12 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MObowhunter View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by freeski919 View Post
 

 

The best recommendation I can make about the choice of boots is to not make the choice. Find yourself a good bootfitter, and let him/her do the choosing for you. And a bootfitter is different from a guy who sells boots in a shop. Go over to the Ask the Boot Guys forums and ask for a recommendation from them about a good bootfitter in your area. Go to their shop, let them work their voodoo, and plunk down the cash for whatever they put on your feet. And now is a good time for buying gear, just like it's a good time for buying passes. Right now shops are trying to dump stock, either because they need the space for their summer stuff, or they are closing up shop for the summer, and don't want that stuff sitting in the closed shop til October. There are some shops you can go into in mid Summer and get boots, but there are drawbacks to that. First, a lot of multiseason shops won't have much stock in the shop, as the floor real estate has been given over to biking and such. Also, the bootfitter is less likely to be in the shop, he might be on vacation, or elsewise occupied. Now is the time.

Thanks freeski919, headed that way now!

There is a list of EpicSki boot fitters at the top of the Ask the Boot Guys section.  Look for the Who's Who hotlink.  Can also try a directed Google search something like "boot fitter xxxx: epicski" where xxxx is your state or the closest city.

post #13 of 14

One more thing since you mentioned getting in better shape.  Video 2 is a self assessment to see where you stand when it comes to stuff related to skiing.

 

http://www.bumpsforboomers.com/basic-ski-fitness-free-online-video-skiing-exercises

 

By the way, I'm a decade older than you.  In better shape now that 10 years ago because I was able to start skiing more and more once my daughter was on skis.  Also helped to learn from online ski forums like EpicSki and to meet up with Bears and other ski nuts in person.  There are quite a few Bears who live in the flatlands.

post #14 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by marznc View Post
 

One more thing since you mentioned getting in better shape.  Video 2 is a self assessment to see where you stand when it comes to stuff related to skiing.

 

http://www.bumpsforboomers.com/basic-ski-fitness-free-online-video-skiing-exercises

 

By the way, I'm a decade older than you.  In better shape now that 10 years ago because I was able to start skiing more and more once my daughter was on skis.  Also helped to learn from online ski forums like EpicSki and to meet up with Bears and other ski nuts in person.  There are quite a few Bears who live in the flatlands.

Wow, thanks for that link marznc, very informative.  I really have a ways to go!! :eek 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Skiing Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › General Skiing Discussion › Hello from an un-retired skier....