or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › General Skiing Discussion › Ice and hard packed versus powder - which is easier
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ice and hard packed versus powder - which is easier - Page 3

post #61 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
 

I'm just looking for some place with the long steeps like out west, but with icy fast conditions like in the east. 

 

 

If you had joined us at Sugarloaf last weekend you just might have gotten your wish.

post #62 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfacehoar View Post

I come to epic for the lols, and josh is by far my favourite. 
Right? I've been lurking here for a while. He should post more on TGR and talk about how hard groomer skiing is:) I guess that's why racers ski big mountain stuff to improve their race skiing, yet don't do as well as big mountain pros.
Edited by clink83 - 3/22/14 at 7:16pm
post #63 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Matta View Post
 

 

 

where was I wrong? plus I do ski more than anyone at Stowe. that is a FACT. 

 

I have never met a single person on skis that has said "I have difficultly skiing XYZ" and actually could ski. also I never whine about being from New England and never getting to ski powder because it just not true if you have half a brain about what resorts your skiing, and where you are skiing at those resort. 

 

I wished I lived in a place where they had guns that made powder too.

post #64 of 87
I see you are an ambassador to Wolf Creek, I never heard of Wolf Creek before so I looked up the trail map. It looks like you hike to the best skiing, from the map it may have some nice spots if your willing to work for them, and there appears to be some nice lift serviced terrain as well.
post #65 of 87
Ice ice baby.
Being from NE once I can say that skiing there takes a bit of skill. Not only do you have hard packed snow, you have narrow trails with lots of people that you need to avoid.

Skiing in Oregon can be a challenge, we get all kinds of conditions, often on the same run; i am talking mostly about off trail.
Edited by tomfifield - 3/23/14 at 7:17am
post #66 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Peters View Post
 

 

Why stop with native New Englanders?  

 

You ski better than the majority of people in the entire world.

Imagine how good he'd be were he born in Austria.

post #67 of 87
Imagine how much more snow they'd be getting there in that case, too.
post #68 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfifield View Post

I see you are an ambassador to Wolf Creek, I never heard of Wolf Creek before so I looked up the trail map. It looks like you hike to the best skiing, from the map it may have some nice spots if your willing to work for them, and there appears to be some nice lift serviced terrain as well.

 

The best terrain is lift served. If you want to ski bowls you can do so with pretty easy traverses. The longest hike is about 45 minutes. The amount of hike-to-terrain means you have untracked lines until the snow manks out from sun and temp.

 

http://www.epicski.com/t/125935/wolf-creek-super-deep-stoke-weekend-of-2-7

 

post #69 of 87
Looks like fun, nice snow.
post #70 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by clink83 View Post


Right? I've been lurking here for a while. He should post more on TGR and talk about how hard groomer skiing is:)

 

 

hard to do no, hard to do very well, yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfifield View Post

Ice ice baby.
Being from NE once I can say that skiing there takes a bit of skill. Not only do you have hard packed snow, you have narrow trails with lots of people that you need to avoid.

Skiing in Oregon can be a challenge, we get all kinds of conditions, often on the same run; i am talking mostly about off trail.

 

 

the thing is we have had more days this year with some sort of loose snow than hardpack, and maybe 5 icey days even on our hardpack day the snow guns are on and they do not produce hardpack. 

post #71 of 87

Snow gun snow is snow gun snow.  It's not very good and it's worse than even the heaviest real powder.  And if you think otherwise you've been skiing the east too long.

post #72 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayT View Post
 

Snow gun snow is snow gun snow.  It's not very good and it's worse than even the heaviest real powder.  And if you think otherwise you've been skiing the east too long.

 

 

so the thing I have never seen single picture, video of you skiing powder. and I have also spent about 600 days skiing snowbird not many people on this site can make that claim. Our snow gun snow, is very dense but its also dry and stupid amounts of grippy with just a bit of soft thrown in it good anyone who would say other wise is a fool. Me and @epic took this video just to show how silly good it is. 

 

 

watch the video, this is the standard for our snowmaking now. I d say that skiing is damn good.

 

 is it this? no today at stowe

 

 

 

but is it better than tahoe lack of snow, and limited snow making.

 

http://www.onthesnow.com/california/heavenly-mountain-resort/historical-snowfall.html

 

http://www.onthesnow.com/vermont/stowe-mountain-resort/historical-snowfall.html

post #73 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by qcanoe View Post

Imagine how much more snow they'd be getting there in that case, too.

:rotf:

post #74 of 87

so i guess all my visual media is not of any way backing up my claims.....

 

...hey at least I do not go and complain about the snow here. 

post #75 of 87

No snow gun produces "hardpack".  Hardpack is a function of compressing the snow, which must have a reasonably "high" moisture content in order to do so.  Snow cannot be dense and dry/fluffy at the same time, it's not possible. 

 

The proof to this is what we learned as kids: get "packing snow" in your hands and push it to make a snowball.  Trying that with "dry powder" snow is impossible.  Ergo, you need moisture to get hardpack.  How much, I do not know.  But all of us on the East Coast understand ice and hardpack.  And those of us who have been out West and experienced the light powder, can appreciate how crappy man made snow is by comparison.

 

Awesome man made snow is still........man made snow.

 

natural snow > man made snow.  End of story.

post #76 of 87

Powder west yeah, ice east yeah. Its a ski day is all that matters.

 

BTW I mostly get hard pack and ice but who cares its a ski day, yeah.

post #77 of 87
Considering that snowguns don't make "powder", they blow ice fragments, you're not helping your "powder is easier than groomed argument. Neither is all the low angle shots.
post #78 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Matta View Post
 

 

but is it better than tahoe lack of snow, and limited snow making.

 

http://www.onthesnow.com/california/heavenly-mountain-resort/historical-snowfall.html

 

http://www.onthesnow.com/vermont/stowe-mountain-resort/historical-snowfall.html

 

Not that I care about snow making, but I did find your Tahoe comment funny considering Northstar has more snow-making than any resort in the country.  You also cherry-picked with Heavenly - a Tahoe resort that isn't on the Sierra Crest.  Oh, btw, since you went there, we've got back to back storms coming with several feet on the way.  We had over 8 feet of snow in February.  I'm not saying it hasn't been a bad season due to the late start, but I really don't see your point, at all.  What does any of that have to do with saying man made snow sucks?  What does video of me skiing in powder have to do with it?  Feel free to do some MA on my avatar - look at that lazy hand drag!

 

Your video looked like micro ice chunk man made snow... which was my point.

 

I'm aware that you spent some time in Utah.  Great.  When was the last time you skied anywhere west of Jackson?  If you had skied at Snowbird this year, I suspect you'd have a different take on how good the man-made stuff at Stowe is.

 

P.S. - to other east coasters reading, I'm not trying to bash east coast skiing (I've had fun out there before) - just trying to keep some reality in check when talking about the glorious man-made "powder."  It sucks out west just the same.

post #79 of 87

no place has consistent snowfall / are actually open after my work season is done. Plus Snowbird is one of my home resort. I can find good snow there easier than anywhere else out west, so why would i go any place else? 

 

I am not saying it glorious I am saying our man made powder as basically made firm icey days a thing of the past here. If you watch the video I think you will see how grippy that snow is.

post #80 of 87

I just returned from skiing a week of hardpack and ice and my 57 year old body tells me that powder is way easier on it.

post #81 of 87
I skied lots of hard pack this year due to the poor season, thankful for my new front end skis, a set of Volkl GS skis.smile.gif
post #82 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by crank View Post
 

I just returned from skiing a week of hardpack and ice and my 57 year old body tells me that powder is way easier on it.

When you play hockey at 25 and you fall on your butt your butt hurts. At 55 every bone and joint in your body hurts. At 65--I don't even want to think about it.

post #83 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by crank View Post
 

I just returned from skiing a week of hardpack and ice and my 57 year old body tells me that powder is way easier on it.

 

This is so true. I tape my knees every day before I ski, and take 800 mg vitamin I. In January, I lucked into the last seat on a cat trip, but the  call came the morning of, and I rushed out without my tape or ibuprofen. Never even realized it until that night ... nothing hurts when you are floating. 

 

(I am trying to figure out how to justify more cat skiing by weighing against the inevitable wear and tear on the joints when resort skiing ... what is the cost-benefit here??)

post #84 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by segbrown View Post
 

 

This is so true. I tape my knees every day before I ski, and take 800 mg vitamin I. In January, I lucked into the last seat on a cat trip, but the  call came the morning of, and I rushed out without my tape or ibuprofen. Never even realized it until that night ... nothing hurts when you are floating. 

 

(I am trying to figure out how to justify more cat skiing by weighing against the inevitable wear and tear on the joints when resort skiing ... what is the cost-benefit here??)

 

Total knee replacement for both knees equals plus-or-minus $80,000.

 

You should be cat skiing all the time.

post #85 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bode Klammer View Post
 


A boy born in West Lebanon New Hampshire was brought across the river to White River Junction Vermont when he was 3 weeks old.  eventually, he grew up to become a successful doctor, and delivered hundreds of babies. He started a free polio vaccination program for Vermont schoolchildren, and was elected to the State legislature. Everyone loved him.  He lived to be 98 years old.

 

When he died, the headline on his obituary read:

>

>
>
>
>

>

>

>

>

 

Flatlander Dies in Vermont

 

 BK

To a Vermonter, even a Sherpa from Nepal is a flatlander!

post #86 of 87
You got nothing on a brush pile at the bottom of a canyon in the pnw woods.
post #87 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by segbrown View Post
 
I tape my knees every day before I ski

 

How do they sound? Or are we talking video too?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Skiing Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › General Skiing Discussion › Ice and hard packed versus powder - which is easier