or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Portland in September - Page 4

post #91 of 111

These lists make me chuckle just a little bit. 

Things people from Portland Love

post #92 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekchick View Post

These lists make me chuckle just a little bit. 
Things people from Portland Love

Some of them are spot on, LOL.
post #93 of 111

post #94 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by slider View Post

 



There is one out that says keep vancouver normal.
post #95 of 111

I visit Portland fairly frequently, and I find the place too full of itself.  Bellingham is like a mini Portland without the pretension.  It's more to my taste.

post #96 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Posaune View Post
 

I visit Portland fairly frequently, and I find the place too full of itself.  Bellingham is like a mini Portland without the pretension.  It's more to my taste.

Posaune, how about Eugene?  That town and your town would be interesting to hear from a local.  

Eugene seems like what Bellingham could grow into only warmer and off the salt water. Good music though

post #97 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Posaune View Post
 

I visit Portland fairly frequently, and I find the place too full of itself.  Bellingham is like a mini Portland without the pretension.  It's more to my taste.

Posaune, how about Eugene?  That town and your town would be interesting to hear from a local.  

Eugene seems like what Bellingham could grow into only warmer and off the salt water. Good music though


Since I've only stopped along the freeway in Eugene I have no first hand experience with the town.  I have talked to people from B'ham who have lived in Eugene, and they portray it as larger and more urban.  I was surprised to hear that there was no food cooperative in town.  With its counterculture reputation I expected it to have that sort of amenity.  Both towns host universities, so that vibe is similar.

post #98 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Posaune View Post
 


Since I've only stopped along the freeway in Eugene I have no first hand experience with the town.  I have talked to people from B'ham who have lived in Eugene, and they portray it as larger and more urban.  I was surprised to hear that there was no food cooperative in town.  With its counterculture reputation I expected it to have that sort of amenity.  Both towns host universities, so that vibe is similar.


Having lived most of my life in Portland and transplanted to Bellingham a little over a year ago, I'd say that Bellingham shares some of the wacky hippie similarities that made Portland weird, but Portland has gotten very "hipster" and BIG (huge!)  while Bellingham maintains the livability of a small town. I do miss the foodie aspect of Portland, and in particular, the food carts. I love that I can bike or walk to the Bay and grab a microbrew just like I could do in my neighborhood in NE Portland, but without an extra 10,000 hipsters on fixies hanging around with their mustaches, skinny jeans and tattoos.

 

I went to college in Eugene (GO DUCKS!) and my family is from the McKenzie River Valley, so I feel somewhat qualified to comment on Eugene vs. Bellingham. If I am talking to a Portlander about what Bellingham is like, I compare it to Eugene. "More hippie than hipster". Eugene is bigger than Bellingham but has the same kind of underlying counterculture, just a bit harder to find these days. @Posaune- there is a co-op, but set up differently than ours in Bellingham - its more a buyers club. But natural and organic food stores abound.

 

One of the differences I notice about Eugene and Portland vs. Bellingham is that both Eugene and Portland have better infrastructure for cyclists (i.e., bike lanes and bike routes throughout the city). Bellingham has a good start on this, but could really use some help in that department. Bellingham is a little drier than Eugene, and doesn't get inversions like Eugene does, and our temps in the summer don't seem to climb much above 80, which is nice (by my standards).

post #99 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagles Pdx View Post
 

Portland is really not a tourist town so much as a nice place to live.  We don't really have tourist attractions.  There's a lot of things TO DO (rafting, fishing, climbing, biking) in a great setting but not tourist stuff as such.

 

Met an Australian couple skiing in Whistler and they were taking the train from Vancouver to Portland. But his interest in Portland was urban planning and some stuff in the Pearl district he wanted to see, specifically Jamison Square area where they "greened over" Kearney St.

 

Took them to Timberline for Sunday Brunch but not much else to "show them".


I can't tell whether you are trying to distract everyone who thinks Portland is the next biggest thing, or you really are clueless. I could keep someone busy being a tourist in Portland for DAYS.

Microbreweries, distilleries, FOOD (what a foodie town!), OMSI, the Esplanade, shopping (tax free, and a crap ton of local indie artisan shops), rose gardens, rhododendron gardens, Old Town...what constitutes a "tourist attraction" in your mind? Hopefully not VooDoo donuts.

post #100 of 111

@Phlox I thought for sure, you'd comment on the link I posted above. 

 

http://www.thrillist.com/entertainment/portland/things-people-from-portland-love

 

Especially #21 

21. Talking about beer the way a sommelier talks about wine 
This ale is approachable with hints of banana, toast, and is that smoke I detect in the finish? 

 

You'll be happy to know that we're going out more so we know more options on your next visit.  I still say, Chez Ziggy is the best place in town. :D

 

Do you think that this list will wreck the Best Whiskey Bars in Portland?

Usually when word gets out, they're doomed

post #101 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekchick View Post
 

@Phlox I thought for sure, you'd comment on the link I posted above. 

 

http://www.thrillist.com/entertainment/portland/things-people-from-portland-love

 

Especially #21 

21. Talking about beer the way a sommelier talks about wine 
This ale is approachable with hints of banana, toast, and is that smoke I detect in the finish? 

 

You'll be happy to know that we're going out more so we know more options on your next visit.  I still say, Chez Ziggy is the best place in town. :D

 

Do you think that this list will wreck the Best Whiskey Bars in Portland?

Usually when word gets out, they're doomed

I've been busy, and I saw it on Facebook first.  ;)

 

Only one establishment on that list is "old school" and probably not where I'd choose to drink whiskey anyway. I won't bore you with chit chat about IBU's and dry hopping...

post #102 of 111
I have some visitors that have to go to Powell’s Books, it is the biggest coolest book store I have ever been to.
post #103 of 111

I've lived in Eugene,Portland and Bellingham. I think Bham has more outdoor opportunities. Eugene better lay out and location.. Portland,for a large town it's clean and has a number of cool places to see.
.

post #104 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phlox View Post
 

Microbreweries, distilleries, FOOD (what a foodie town!), OMSI, the Esplanade, shopping (tax free, and a crap ton of local indie artisan shops), rose gardens, rhododendron gardens, Old Town...what constitutes a "tourist attraction" in your mind?

Beer, food, local museum and shopping can be done in Perth as well as Portland.  Portland doesn't have tourist attractions, unique, outstanding things that people can see only in Portland, but it is nice place to live and lots to do if you live here.  I could have taken them fishing on the Columbia, skiing on Mt. Hood but nothing to really show them that they could not have seen or done in Perth.

post #105 of 111
You could as easily say that about Vienna. Sure they have St. Stephan's, but it's just a church. Sure there is the Riesenrad, but it's just a Ferris wheel. Sure they have great food, but it's just food. Sure there are great museums and the Opera House, but they have that in every city. Personally, I'm not a fan of caged sea mammals and roller coasters, so visiting the nice things that make a city's character appeals to me. The people are already coming to Portland, they should see what makes it tick.
post #106 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by sibhusky View Post

You could as easily say that about Vienna.

Not if one knew history and Vienna.  Comparing 163 year old Portland, OR to 2,500 year old Vienna, Austria is silly.

post #107 of 111
I used to live in Vienna. But there are plenty of tourists who go there and haven't a clue. They still like going.
post #108 of 111
I think if you are the kind of person that is active and has a lot of interests you will find plenty to do, if you are the other kind of person then you will not find much to do. The Portland area has many unique things to do and see.
post #109 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagles Pdx View Post

Beer, food, local museum and shopping can be done in Perth as well as Portland.  Portland doesn't have tourist attractions, unique, outstanding things that people can see only in Portland, but it is nice place to live and lots to do if you live here.  I could have taken them fishing on the Columbia, skiing on Mt. Hood but nothing to really show them that they could not have seen or done in Perth.

If you're bored, you're boring.
post #110 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagles Pdx View Post
 

Not if one knew history and Vienna.  Comparing 163 year old Portland, OR to 2,500 year old Vienna, Austria is silly.

So is comparing Perth to Portland and proclaiming that Portland has nothing for tourists. I know next to nothing about Perth, but I would greatly enjoy seeing what Perth has to offer in terms of outdoor sights/recreation, what makes it unique and trying local food, beer, wine...which is exactly what people do when they travel to a new and different city. Like, for instance, Portland. Which has many things to do/see within the city limits and more within an hour each direction you have Hood River, the coast, and even *gasp* another state. What's not to like about donut culture, keeping it weird, the 24 Hour Church of Elvis, volcanoes (including an extinct volcano within the city limits of Portland), Forest Park, Pittock Mansion, OMSI, two major rivers, various neighborhoods with farmer's markets, and scads of outdoor recreation opportunities?

 

Right. Nothing for tourists.

post #111 of 111

Or you could go to Detroit. It's kind of a hotspot for ruin porn, and with the new Jarmusch film, a hipster tourist destination in it's own right. Most definitely not Portland or Paris... the art collection at the D.I.A. is pretty damned great.  :popcorn

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Skiing Discussion