or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › EpicSki Community › Trip Reports  ›  New England Gathering 2014 Trip Report
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New England Gathering 2014 Trip Report - Page 4

post #91 of 108

Thanks everyone!

 

I have had the brown and brown outfit for about 5 or 6 seasons now.  I was thinking of upgrading this year, but I decided to spend money on new boots and tuning equipment.  Performance is worth more than fashion on a Level 3 exam.

 

The reason why I never bothered to upgrade earlier is because I wear an instructors jacket and pants 80% of the time I go skiing... so not a whole lot of motivation to blow cash on clothing. I would like to get something that lasts with the times.  I think a rainbow colored jacket would be fashionable for about 2 seasons, and then look as goofy as a neon colored one piece jumpsuit the next season.  

post #92 of 108
Thread Starter 
Wise man.
post #93 of 108

This is going to be a little bit of a thread hijack, but Vince and I went on and skied Hunter Mtn and Whiteface, NY after leaving Maine and here are a few photos from that portion of our trip.

Thursday 3/20 we had a couple hours to kill while Vince was waiting for his PSIA exam results and here he's letting off some steam on the spring bumps of K27:

 

 

A scene found perhaps only at Hunter, a group of Hasidic Jews touring the base area:

 

That evening we were back in serious winter weather at Lake Placid, NY:

 

I had forgotten how gorgeous the scenery is at Whiteface.  This is looking down on Lake Placid from summit of Little Whiteface:

 

Vince on a good long bump run called Lookout Below in the new Lookout Mtn trail pod:

 

The Slides were open, but only one of them and you had to have avi beacon/shovel/probe, which we did not have and we weren't about to wander in there in tourist mode.

 

Not sure if we'll get any more skiing this year, but how's this for the view on our final run at Whiteface? :)

post #94 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceK View Post

 

The reason why I never bothered to upgrade earlier is because I wear an instructors jacket and pants 80% of the time I go skiing... so not a whole lot of motivation to blow cash on clothing. I would like to get something that lasts with the times.  I think a rainbow colored jacket would be fashionable for about 2 seasons, and then look as goofy as a neon colored one piece jumpsuit the next season.  

Sounds like L3 reasoning to me. 

You pass the sensibity test as well.

D1

post #95 of 108
 
Quote:
 I have had the brown and brown outfit for about 5 or 6 seasons now.

I had my ski jacket/pants for 10 years or so. You are good for a few more years or so, until you get tired of taking grief from the DC Ski/Epic crew. (But I see Backcountry.com in your future, especially with your current job situation.)

 

Just have your Dad photoshop all pictures he posts of you.

post #96 of 108

Congratulations, Vince - that's a great achievement!

 

As for clothing choice, you know I support the sophisticated, dark, mysterious look also.   But then, I learned to ski in Europe, so following my fashion advice may not be your best plan... 

post #97 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by qcanoe View Post



Move along folks. Nothing to see here

except what Bears do in the woods.

Hibernate....

D1

post #98 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonDenver View Post
 

Betsy...are you trying to add something important here?  If you're having technical issues just come to the living room and ask me :)

Thanks DD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekchick View Post
 

Its not the Blue, its the shade of blue and the fact that you needed a little different tone to amp up your Epic Look  

I think @Betsy  would agree. 

Not just the shade of blue @KevinF but the shape…..  You wear your new coat very well - take good care of it, wash it in NikWax or something similar in the off season, and it will give you years of wear.

post #99 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsy View Post
 

Thanks DD!

Not just the shade of blue @KevinF but the shape…..  You wear your new coat very well - take good care of it, wash it in NikWax or something similar in the off season, and it will give you years of wear.

 

After you ladies (@Betsy, @Trekchick, @DSloan, @?) take care of @VinceK, I noticed that @qcanoe is also looking a little drab (especially given his solid skiing) ...

post #100 of 108
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnL View Post

 

 I noticed that @qcanoe is also looking a little drab

 

I think my clothes may be a little on the dark side, too. ;)  Your post just adds weight to my threat to change my Epic username to Eeyore. 

 

Then again, if drab is what the up-and-coming 23-year-old stars like Vince are wearing, and if drab is what's attracting the women - as appears to be the case - why put on tropical plumage and jinx it all?

 

If spring ever comes, I'll break out the tomato red shell I was wearing at Big Sky. So far every day I've been out has been too cold for that.

 

Meanwhile, if peeps is going to volunteer clothes for me, they gots to make sure the pants come in a SHORT length. And there has to be money left for the important stuff. (Yes, I do wear a fancy-name parka, but I got it for $135 on eBay.) Anything else is a non-starter. 

post #101 of 108

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by qcanoe View Post
 

 

I think my clothes may be a little on the dark side, too. ;)  Your post just adds weight to my threat to change my Epic username to Eeyore. 

 

is

Q,

 

Nobody thinks your clothes are dark side-ish when trying to follow you down the hill! Your white helmet rocks as a point of contrast. Don't let the fashion police beat you down. Put your $$$ into more Gathering experiences.

 

I get bummed reading this thread as I missed a great experience. 

post #102 of 108
Originally Posted by Living Proof View Post
 

Q,

 

Nobody thinks your clothes are dark side-ish when trying to follow you down the hill! Your white helmet rocks as a point of contrast. Don't let the fashion police beat you down. Put your $$$ into more Gathering experiences.

 

 

True that. Try as I might, I could not keep up in the trees with that white bouncing ball.

Remember Mitch Miller....

D1

post #103 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by deliberate1 View Post
......Remember Mitch Miller....

D1

Sure.  How about Skitch Henderson?

=)

post #104 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpfreaq View Post
 

Sure.  How about Skitch Henderson?

=)


Naw, I am way too young for that dude.;) 

post #105 of 108
Thread Starter 
This, apparently, is what becomes of a trip report after its useful life is over.
post #106 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by qcanoe View Post

This, apparently, is what becomes of a trip report after its useful life is over.


Some trip reports never have a useful life...

post #107 of 108

Always meant to brighten this shot of Needham, still not optimal:dunno.  He's in a good attacking mode here.  Guess we'll have to ski together again.Thumbs Up

 

post #108 of 108

Thanks, Jim.  I like that shot (captures the fun we had that day) and appreciate the work you did on it.  Yes, look forward to hopefully skiing with you again next year.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Trip Reports
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › EpicSki Community › Trip Reports  ›  New England Gathering 2014 Trip Report