EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Kastle MX 98 vs Kastle FX 104 vs Kastle BMX 108
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Kastle MX 98 vs Kastle FX 104 vs Kastle BMX 108 - Page 2

post #31 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHREDHEAD View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHREDHEAD View Post

OMG!!!

The MX98@184 rips everything! Today was as good as spring skiing gets. Firm groomers were heavenly with no speed limit. Softening into high speed corn the ski never missed a beat. The ski made me a rock star. I must posess them!

 

 

The 184 MX98 finally went on sale for 50% at my local shop and I picked a up pair.  Tuned and mounted them up with the K13, but I'm probably waiting till next year for the inaugural run.

Even at 50% Off..they are still a serious commitment. 

post #32 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHREDHEAD View Post
 

 

 

The 184 MX98 finally went on sale for 50% at my local shop and I picked a up pair.  Tuned and mounted them up with the K13, but I'm probably waiting till next year for the inaugural run.

After spending a week in France skiing hardpack on Stockli Laser AX, SC's and then a few days on AT gear I got back to to Whistler and was blessed with a day that had a bit of everything. Calf deep blower, windblown, crust, soft & firm groomers and was lucky enough to be on the MX98, 184.

Pure Bliss - these skis turned the whole place into a GS course and was gushing all day with how quick, predictable and precise these boards were in every circumstance. No there not effortless but they are so reassuring you ski better and are more relaxed. Their performance and refinement are a cut above anything else I have ever had on my feet and can't imagine a better Whistler/western mountain daily driver that would be more rewarding for a good skier. 

 

Shredhead I'd say their worth every penny at full price. To get em at 50% off you should pinching yourself! Enjoy! 

post #33 of 38

I will throw in my 2 cents to this thread after skiing the MX98.  I previously posted about my experiences on the 108 and 104, and my opinion of those two really hasn't changed much.

 

I tour on the FX 104 and ski the Volkl Mantra (pre 2015 model) as my hard snow ski.  I love the Mantra and the 104.  

 

For me the Mantra is unflappable on the firmest snow and just hauls ass.  It's not too bad in variable conditions so long as you ski it aggressively.  I can't say enough about this ski.

 

I like the FX 104 quite a bit too.  It's an interesting ski in that is feels a touch shorter than the Mantra (both 184) and isn't as "chargeable" as some other skis I have owned. I think the mounting point may be ever so slightly forward compared to the Mantra because the skis measure the same.  My favorite thing about the ski is its shocking maneuverability in tight spaces despite it's camber, length and general construction.  The Kastle is relatively light for as solid a ski as it is.  It also has an awesome ability to slarve the end of a turn, something I would never expect from this ski.  It's really uncanny.  I've also had a hell of a time in shin deep powder.  I'd say if I had to ski one ski in every condition for the rest of my life this would be my choice.  I'd also want these on my feet if I was skiing something sketchy like a steep couloir with variable snow.

 

Now, after years of wanting, I skied the MX98 a few weeks ago.  I had it for a day long demo but only skied a few runs.  Honestly, after a few runs I thought "mahhhh, I'd rather ski my Mantras."  I really was totally underwhelmed.  Not underwhelmed generally, but underwhelmed thinking this ski would be the second coming.  Maybe the ski I was on had a bad tune or something, who knows, but I'd take the old Mantra or the FX 104 over the MX98.  

post #34 of 38

Picking up some good observations from posts on this thread.  Can anyone shed light on the major snow feel and performance differences between the FX104 and FX94? 

post #35 of 38

Huh,funny I like but dont love the fx104. I think it could very well be the mount point for me as I do get on so well with the fx94 and it has all the right ingredients. Its great to have another opinion especially considering what other skis you like and own. I like the Mantra of yore but dont find it as refined or as good in soft snow. Feel is pretty different top end simular I just dont find it as versitile. I suppose I should try the new elp version but if u gave me an option to ski an older non rockered version I'd wouldn't hesitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHREDHEAD View Post
 

 

 

The 184 MX98 finally went on sale for 50% at my local shop and I picked a up pair.  Tuned and mounted them up with the K13, but I'm probably waiting till next year for the inaugural run.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by smails View Post
 

I will throw in my 2 cents to this thread after skiing the MX98.  I previously posted about my experiences on the 108 and 104, and my opinion of those two really hasn't changed much.

 

I tour on the FX 104 and ski the Volkl Mantra (pre 2015 model) as my hard snow ski.  I love the Mantra and the 104.  

 

For me the Mantra is unflappable on the firmest snow and just hauls ass.  It's not too bad in variable conditions so long as you ski it aggressively.  I can't say enough about this ski.

 

I like the FX 104 quite a bit too.  It's an interesting ski in that is feels a touch shorter than the Mantra (both 184) and isn't as "chargeable" as some other skis I have owned. I think the mounting point may be ever so slightly forward compared to the Mantra because the skis measure the same.  My favorite thing about the ski is its shocking maneuverability in tight spaces despite it's camber, length and general construction.  The Kastle is relatively light for as solid a ski as it is.  It also has an awesome ability to slarve the end of a turn, something I would never expect from this ski.  It's really uncanny.  I've also had a hell of a time in shin deep powder.  I'd say if I had to ski one ski in every condition for the rest of my life this would be my choice.  I'd also want these on my feet if I was skiing something sketchy like a steep couloir with variable snow.

 

Now, after years of wanting, I skied the MX98 a few weeks ago.  I had it for a day long demo but only skied a few runs.  Honestly, after a few runs I thought "mahhhh, I'd rather ski my Mantras."  I really was totally underwhelmed.  Not underwhelmed generally, but underwhelmed thinking this ski would be the second coming.  Maybe the ski I was on had a bad tune or something, who knows, but I'd take the old Mantra or the FX 104 over the MX98.  

The FX104 would be a killer slack country, freeride touring ski. Good call on that set-up I could easily see myself doing the same. I went a little different route with a TX97 but was tempted to do the same. Could not see touring in the MX98.

 

Nice to have another opinion on the MX98 and you and I are usually more in line with our thoughts on the kastles. I've skied  the 98 back to back with the FX104, FX94, MX83, BMX108 over a few demos. I was really struggling between the FX94 and MX98 (the 104 was too close to to my108's) but the MX just seemed more precise, more powerful still good in tight sketchy spots and better in fresh snow that I pulled the trigger. The FX94's were uncanny in their ability to ski wherever and however you wanted with no fuss and at whatever speed which was fun but they were less exciting on groomers or in crud compared to the MX98. They didn't wow me per say but over time when skiing other very good skis and a variety of conditions they start to really stand out. With the hype and the price I could see expecting to be wowed even in a few runs. Guess you just saved yourself a pile of $! 

post #36 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisCrash View Post
 

Huh,funny I like but dont love the fx104. I think it could very well be the mount point for me as I do get on so well with the fx94 and it has all the right ingredients. Its great to have another opinion especially considering what other skis you like and own. I like the Mantra of yore but dont find it as refined or as good in soft snow. Feel is pretty different top end simular I just dont find it as versitile. I suppose I should try the new elp version but if u gave me an option to ski an older non rockered version I'd wouldn't hesitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHREDHEAD View Post
 

 

 

The 184 MX98 finally went on sale for 50% at my local shop and I picked a up pair.  Tuned and mounted them up with the K13, but I'm probably waiting till next year for the inaugural run.

 

The FX104 would be a killer slack country, freeride touring ski. Good call on that set-up I could easily see myself doing the same. I went a little different route with a TX97 but was tempted to do the same. Could not see touring in the MX98.

 

Nice to have another opinion on the MX98 and you and I are usually more in line with our thoughts on the kastles. I've skied  the 98 back to back with the FX104, FX94, MX83, BMX108 over a few demos. I was really struggling between the FX94 and MX98 (the 104 was too close to to my108's) but the MX just seemed more precise, more powerful still good in tight sketchy spots and better in fresh snow that I pulled the trigger. The FX94's were uncanny in their ability to ski wherever and however you wanted with no fuss and at whatever speed which was fun but they were less exciting on groomers or in crud compared to the MX98. They didn't wow me per say but over time when skiing other very good skis and a variety of conditions they start to really stand out. With the hype and the price I could see expecting to be wowed even in a few runs. Guess you just saved yourself a pile of $! 

 

The FX 104 definitely is a killer slack country ski.  Can't ask for much more.  Although it's a bummer they aren't being made any more, next year's BMX 105 (with the metal or no metal option) should be a nice replacement.  I have heard great things from those who have tried them, although neither the 181 or 189 length works well for me - unless the rocker makes the 89 ski particularly short.

 

As for the MX98, for me it really came down to figuring out if they would be the replacement ski when my current Mantras wear out, or if I would go on the hunt for back up (old model) mantras.  Head to head I just liked the Mantra more.  It was an easy decisions given my familiarity with the ski and the price point being lower.  I am now sitting on two pretty mint pairs and expect to ski them for the foreseeable future.

post #37 of 38

I own the MX98 (which is my favorite ski since the Exploder), and have owned the FX104. I have in excess of 100 days on the MX98, and had to get rid of the FX104 after 15-20 days on them. The skis do not perform the same. Like Phil, I never took a liking to the FX104. To me, it is a very hooky ski. Compared to the MX 98, it is bouncy in crud, and the tips grab (and hold on to) mank. The tips and tails of the FX require serious de-tuning. I can not say one bad word about the MX 98. Without question, they are the most stable, charging boards on the market, that handles everything from bulletproof to shin high fresh, to everything in between.

post #38 of 38

Not that often you get spring like conditions in early Feb and hadn't had the MX98 in these conditions for a long time. Man oh man what wicked spring corn ski! If there is a better one out there I haven't tried it. Just love the combination of float, power and rebound in this ski. It's certainly the easiest of the MX skis to load that I've owned and I find myself playing with that energy a lot whether in short, med turns or in bumps. It really encourages you to have active feet and play with your weight distribution and is so rewarding to ski when you do!  

Anyone on the fence or thinking they want one should think of getting one soon as the MX98 isn't gonna be in next years line up :eek . Lineup - MX89, FX95, BMX105 no more 98.


Edited by ChrisCrash - 2/10/16 at 9:33am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Kastle MX 98 vs Kastle FX 104 vs Kastle BMX 108