Hey Nochaser ,looked like a great trip and glad you had fun.I've been to alot of places and think its cool that mammoth( I live in so-cal )stacks up so well against the best resorts.Like you said with our elevation and wind the frontside,hardpak conditions,the top of the mountain with it's advanced terrain and easy access make Mammoth so consistent and fun.The one thing I tell people is that I ( and thats just me ) think because we don't have alot of trees and the mountain with all it's terrain just stares at you all day,it's kind of tough to ski there more than three days in a row ( some of that though is because i've been going there for almost forty years ) !!
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Forbes top ten US ski resorts 2013 Last post on 3/2/15 at 9:10pm in Resorts, Conditions & Travel
- Outside Magazine’s 2012 Ski Resort Rankings Last post on 11/7/12 at 7:44am in Resorts, Conditions & Travel
- Hardcore top ski area rankings - North America (WITHIN BOUNDARY) Last post on 11/8/12 at 1:47pm in Resorts, Conditions & Travel
- SKI Magazine Resort Survey Results, 2012-2013 Last post on 3/2/13 at 1:25pm in Resorts, Conditions & Travel
- Suggestions for family trip next March on a TIGHT budget? Last post on 2/20/13 at 5:04pm in Resorts, Conditions & Travel
2016/17 Multi-Pass Options
Last edited: Yesterday
- Jackson Hole Mountain Resort - An Unofficial Guide to Skiing...Last edited: 10/8/13
- Snowbird Unofficial GuideLast edited: 11/7/15
- Back Home in the Jackson BackcountryLast edited: 9/12/16
- Jackson Hole Guide To Skiing Jackson Hole Mountain ResortLast edited: 10/25/11
Great performance , tecnica design is outstanding
The Cyclic is now in its 4th season with the only change being the top sheet graphics each year. No reason to change this ski, it is nearly flawless. Wider tip with rocker, camber, and tail rocker...
Nord-Dobe-Spitfire Pro EDT. GOD-HELL !! This is another ONE. Smooth. Damp. Grip. NO Chatter -At All. Warp-Drive. Nice transition from slip to grip. BIG SWEET SPOT. These were also the...
This is my home resort so I admit, I'm biased. But, I have been skiing seriously at Sunrise since 2009. It's located in the White Mountains of eastern Arizona. The main towns in the area are...
The mountain was almost lost a few years back, but the rally was made and it seems on solid ground. A very relaxed atmosphere and a nice lodge. Excellent crowded weekend escape from Sunday...
Your expert advice please [driving from CA to UT, WY, MT] - Page 3post #61 of 683/23/14 at 9:11pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #62 of 683/24/14 at 9:59amThread Starter2014 top 10 US ski resorts by Forbes places Mammoth at the 7th place, FWIW. Coincidentally, I have covered 7 of the 10 resorts that made forbe's top 10.
The advantage Mammoth has on my list is its close proximity to my home. The fact of the matter is I would love to go back and ski in any of these resorts if time and cost is of little concern.
Before going back though, I'd like to explore other resorts in Colorado, Lake Tahoe, Park City, and Pacific NW first. That's at least three or four long road trips, one driving up north along the pacific coast and two or three trips through SLC, Park City and CO.post #63 of 683/24/14 at 11:09ampost #64 of 683/24/14 at 12:06pmQuote:
Well they do score each resort using the Pure Awesomeness Factor.post #65 of 683/24/14 at 3:57pmThread Starter
"If you’ve read our rankings in the past, then you know that we use a proprietary algorithm that renders for each resort what’s known in PhD circles as the Pure Awesomeness Factor, or PAF. By measuring PAF, we determine what ski resorts are best. The PAF score for each resort is the most scientific and proven way to determine how many drips of fun can be wrung from one ski trip. It’s one of the more important metrics developed during our time. You’ve heard of Joules, Ohms, Amperes and the Richter Scale, of course? The PAF measurement will follow these names into history." -- Chris Steiner, Forbes
At least, they openly admit their ranking is subjective just as anything qualitative tends to be.
#14 on Ski Magazine's 2014 Best West Resorts (based on reader polls)
#7 on Freeskier's 2014 top 10 North America resorts (based on mag.editors)
Edited by nochaser - 3/24/14 at 4:10pmpost #66 of 683/24/14 at 6:05pmQuote:Originally Posted by nochaser
2014 top 10 US ski resorts by Forbes places Mammoth at the 7th place, FWIW. Coincidentally, I have covered 7 of the 10 resorts that made forbe's top 10.
Awesome article, thanks for the link. Best part: celebrity match for Alta=Sid Vicious.
Remarkably, I would only have to go to Vail to get 10/10. Turns out that Forbes is my people...I didn't see that coming.
Edit: it just gets better. In their article Top 5 Gear Pieces for Winter 2014 they pick the stunningly expensive (and supremely overbuilt for skiing) Patagonia Encapsil Down Patka as must-have gear. Finally, someone that understands me - I'm subscribing.
Edited by Bob Lee - 3/24/14 at 6:16pmpost #67 of 683/24/14 at 8:34pmThread Starterpost #68 of 683/27/14 at 9:04amQuote:
Yeah, you can drive through all winter long. Whether you want to go over teton pass or around through Idaho falls doesn't change things much. Teton pass is shorter of course, but the drive speed is better going through Idaho Falls. Typically 20 is well maintained over Targee Pass and through Island park and down to Ashton, where you can make the choice to to either go through Driggs and over Teton Pass or keep going to Idaho Falls and then east to JH.. I've driven from West Yellowstone to Ashton many times during ski season and never had any trouble. I am used to driving in winter conditions though. Swing through Bridger and I'll see if I can get out for some runs.
- Your expert advice please [driving from CA to UT, WY, MT]
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Jackson Hole Mountain Resort - An Unofficial Guide to Skiing...
- › AirBnB and VRBO Versus Ski Town Zoning Ordinances 26 seconds ago
- › Bomberskiclinic stowe / Alta lodge powder tracks 3 minutes ago
- › Decision '17: Whistler or Alta/Bird? 5 minutes ago
- › Advice on building a quiver 1 hour, 16 minutes ago
- › Where to ski to see majestic mountains out West (for intermediate... 1 hour, 18 minutes ago
- › "The only people who want to carve any more..." 1 hour, 35 minutes ago
- › 2017 CRV with 1.5l turbo? 1 hour, 40 minutes ago
- › When to grind the base. 1 hour, 47 minutes ago
- › How do i go from snow plow to a complete parallel turn? 2 hours, 16 minutes ago
- › Are 4 Snow Tires Needed on a Front Wheel Drive Car 2 hours, 21 minutes ago
- › Tecnica Diablo Race Pro 110 Ski Boot - Men's by CowTown
- › 2015 Head Cyclic 115 Ski by snokat
- › 2014 Nordica Dobermann SLR EVO Ski by g-force
- › Sunrise Park Resort by mitchsb
- › Black Mountain of Maine by Maineac
- › Camden Snow Bowl by Maineac
- › Mt. Abram Family Resort by Maineac
- › Shawnee Peak Ski Area by Maineac
- › Chepelare by Tom Tough
- › 2014 K2 AMP Charger Ski by Jhernon
- › Undeterred Courage: An Interview with High...
- › Park City 2.0
- › Forsake Sneakerboots - The Convergence of...
- › Feeder Hill Highlights - Snow Ridge Ski Area...
- › EpicSki Interview with James Niehues
- › 2017 Nordica Women's Santa Ana Skis
- › 2017 Nordica Men's Alpine Ski Collection
- › Head Joy Collection - Women's Skis Done...
- › 2016/17 Multi-Pass Options
- › Learn to Ski in Summer