or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Steamboat VS Crested Butte

post #1 of 27
Thread Starter 

So I was all set on going to CB for 2 days during my Colorado ski trip, but I recently came across a deal to Steamboat for the exact same price. Me and my buddy are tree skiers, we love the glades and only use the trails to get from lift to the trees, and I hear that Steamboat is supposed to be world class when it comes to glades, so should I say no to Butte and yes to the Boat??

 

 

We are going to Abasin our 1st day of skiing in CO and either Winter Park or Loveland our last day before we fly home, so we'll get in some steeps and bowl skiing for sure.

post #2 of 27
When is your trip? How last minute can you change plans? Those two places often get hit quite differently by storms. If you can wait til the last minute to get an eye on the snow, do so.
post #3 of 27

Do you like steeps?

post #4 of 27
CB's skiing about as good as it gets. I think I would chose it over Steamboat, at this time.
It's higher and has a more northerly aspect.
post #5 of 27

Crested Butte is having a superb season. Excellent conditions. I would stay there.

They average 250" a year there, compared to Steamboats 380". The odds of catching it under superb conditions aren't the best.You shouldn't turn down the opportunity to experience some of the best inbounds terrain in North America. 

post #6 of 27
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmeb View Post

When is your trip? How last minute can you change plans? Those two places often get hit quite differently by storms. If you can wait til the last minute to get an eye on the snow, do so.


Im landing this Sunday morning and was planning on skiing ABasin monday then after we ski AB, driving up to Steamboat to ski there Tues, Wends, and Thurs, then driving back to the Denver area and skiing Winter Park or AB again before our flight on friday night.  I cant wait too late, we keep changing plans LOL

post #7 of 27
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by segbrown View Post
 

Do you like steeps?

They're fine, but I LOVE the trees, LOVE em!!!!

post #8 of 27

I would pretty much always choose CB over Steamboat in good conditions, but that's just me.

post #9 of 27

+1 on CB for all the reasons above.  

 

It could be 5-10 years before you see conditions like CB has this year again.  Steamboat conditions are more typical because a) they always have more snow, b) their tamer terrain doesn't require as much coverage, and c) we are getting into March where their lower elevation and western exposure brings spring conditions sooner.

post #10 of 27
Thread Starter 

WOW, thats alot of people in favor of CB.  What makes it so good?? 

 

We dont really plan on hiking up to the summits, neither of us are fans of moguls (we'll do a run or 2 but my buddys knees cant handle moguls multiple times per day) and we are both brining out the fat powder skis.  DAMN this is such a great problem to have.... cept we leave tomorrow night lol

post #11 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kase-1 View Post
 

WOW, thats alot of people in favor of CB.  What makes it so good?? 

 

We dont really plan on hiking up to the summits, neither of us are fans of moguls (we'll do a run or 2 but my buddys knees cant handle moguls multiple times per day) and we are both brining out the fat powder skis.  DAMN this is such a great problem to have.... cept we leave tomorrow night lol

 

 

Anyone that's halfway decent skier can ski just about anything at Steamboat....that is not true at CB.  Steamboat has no pucker factor terrain and CB has lots of it.  You can be an expert skier and you will still need your A game at CB not so much at Steamboat.  That being said I love both places and will probably retire to Steamboat.....

 

CB has tree skiing but not the same kind of tree skiing that Steamboat does.

post #12 of 27
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by UGASkiDawg View Post
 

 

 

Anyone that's halfway decent skier can ski just about anything at Steamboat....that is not true at CB.  Steamboat has no pucker factor terrain and CB has lots of it.  You can be an expert skier and you will still need your A game at CB not so much at Steamboat.  That being said I love both places and will probably retire to Steamboat.....

 

CB has tree skiing but not the same kind of tree skiing that Steamboat does.

What makes that pucker factor terrain, moguls, steepness, ice, cliffs, a mix of all 3?? I want to know what im getting into, LOL.

 

What I REALLY want is tons of tree runs with nice deep fluffy snow, I could really care less about moguls or steepness, cant we get that at ABasin and Winter Park

post #13 of 27

This

http://3dskimaps.com/crestedbutte/

 

Vs this

http://3dskimaps.com/steamboat/

 

Steamboat only wins when they have better snow which is most of the time but not this year

post #14 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kase-1 View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by UGASkiDawg View Post
 

 

 

Anyone that's halfway decent skier can ski just about anything at Steamboat....that is not true at CB.  Steamboat has no pucker factor terrain and CB has lots of it.  You can be an expert skier and you will still need your A game at CB not so much at Steamboat.  That being said I love both places and will probably retire to Steamboat.....

 

CB has tree skiing but not the same kind of tree skiing that Steamboat does.

What makes that pucker factor terrain, moguls, steepness, ice, cliffs, a mix of all 3?? I want to know what im getting into, LOL.

 

What I REALLY want is tons of tree runs with nice deep fluffy snow, I could really care less about moguls or steepness, cant we get that at ABasin and Winter Park

 

Sounds like you want the 'boat. Everyone else would go to CB, but you're not them.

 

If you're changing flights, fly to Montrose, ski CB then drive the 5 hrs to Steamboat?

Or fly to Denver and drive the 5hrs to CB then 5 hrs back to Steamboat. If you go to Aspen it's almost 5hrs from Denver on the shuttle.

 

Calling the Ambassador @Finndog ....

post #15 of 27

yes,,,  Sorry, I was absorbed in the ever growing 2CC scandal...

 

if its trees you want. you want the boat.  Yes, no real pucker factor but far more smiles per acre of aspens.  What's wrong with exceptional snow quality, killer trees and just fun terrain? I'm not saying anything more than the boat is about fun and good snow.  We don't pretend to be steep and scary.  Thumbs Up

post #16 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finndog View Post
 

yes,,,  Sorry, I was absorbed in the ever growing 2CC scandal...

 

if its trees you want. you want the boat.  Yes, no real pucker factor but far more smiles per acre of aspens.  What's wrong with exceptional snow quality, killer trees and just fun terrain? I'm not saying anything more than the boat is about fun and good snow.  We don't pretend to be steep and scary.  Thumbs Up

 

 

I hope you have good snow....my cat trip is next Friday...the long term forecast looks like it favors us..anti-jinx:D

post #17 of 27
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finndog View Post
 

yes,,,  Sorry, I was absorbed in the ever growing 2CC scandal...

 

if its trees you want. you want the boat.  Yes, no real pucker factor but far more smiles per acre of aspens.  What's wrong with exceptional snow quality, killer trees and just fun terrain? I'm not saying anything more than the boat is about fun and good snow.  We don't pretend to be steep and scary.  Thumbs Up

Gotcha.  How has the snow been this year, it looks like you guys have been gettting bombed with snow but the temps are scaring me.  I see 30s in Steamboat for next week which my east coast self hears 30s and thinks wet, heavy, slow, slush snow, is it like that out west or do you guys have snow that lasts a little longer because its so dry out there??

post #18 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kase-1 View Post
 

What makes that pucker factor terrain, moguls, steepness, ice, cliffs, a mix of all 3?? I want to know what im getting into, LOL.

 

What I REALLY want is tons of tree runs with nice deep fluffy snow, I could really care less about moguls or steepness, cant we get that at ABasin and Winter Park

Then Steamboat is your place.

post #19 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kase-1 View Post

  I see 30s in Steamboat for next week which my east coast self hears 30s and thinks wet, heavy, slow, slush snow, is it like that out west or do you guys have snow that lasts a little longer because its so dry out there??

It's a lot dryer here, but these storms are still coming in warm & wet.
CB's 2500ft higher.
post #20 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by UGASkiDawg View Post
 

 

 

I hope you have good snow....my cat trip is next Friday...the long term forecast looks like it favors us..anti-jinx:D

I can assure you a powder day next Friday.  Every first Friday of the month, I meet with this class I'm taking part in... since our very first meeting in September, it has snowed literally EVERY time we have met.  And we meet again next Friday.  You're safe.

post #21 of 27
Thread Starter 

Now what if I threw Wolf Creek into the mix too?? They have been getting pounded with snow

post #22 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kase-1 View Post
 

What makes that pucker factor terrain, moguls, steepness, ice, cliffs, a mix of all 3?? I want to know what im getting into, LOL.

 

What I REALLY want is tons of tree runs with nice deep fluffy snow, I could really care less about moguls or steepness, cant we get that at ABasin and Winter Park

That could be Steamboat's tagline.

post #23 of 27

How about a Monarch day trip?

post #24 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kase-1 View Post
 

Gotcha.  How has the snow been this year, it looks like you guys have been gettting bombed with snow but the temps are scaring me.  I see 30s in Steamboat for next week which my east coast self hears 30s and thinks wet, heavy, slow, slush snow, is it like that out west or do you guys have snow that lasts a little longer because its so dry out there??

unfortunately, yeah, all of CO is stuck in the warm flow but use this link; do not use the weather forecast that is posted on the Steamboat site!!!  It links to the downtown weather which is completely different.  

 

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=40.45164977337427&lon=-106.76719665527344#.UxHXu9xlYXk

post #25 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kase-1 View Post
 

Now what if I threw Wolf Creek into the mix too?? They have been getting pounded with snow

 

Based on your description Steamboat will be ideal for you but yes it is not as high as CB and may have heavier snow given the warm flow we are getting hit with. CB is great and has once in 10 years snow conditions now but it doesn't have anything like the kind of tree skiing the Boat has. Wolf Creek is a fun small mountain but does not compare to Steamboat or CB in any way. It does have great snow and has the altitude to keep things cold but it is going to be quite a hike from the other areas you mention.

post #26 of 27
Thread Starter 
We decided on going to Abasin tomorrow, Steamboat tues-thurs and either loveland or winter park on friday depending on who gets better snow.... CANT WAIT!!!!!
post #27 of 27

Winter Park/Mary Jane has some great trees.  I bet you'll love the Eagle Wind lift there.   Looks like the Tues/Wed storm will hit Northern CO better, so good call on the boat.  Have fun!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Skiing Discussion