or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Does any one here buy "in bulk" once they find something they like?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Does any one here buy "in bulk" once they find something they like?

post #1 of 21
Thread Starter 
I really like my current rig and I am thinking of buying duplicates at the end of the season. I bet I can get 4 or 5 years out of my current rig and was thinking about having another set ready to go when these are just too beat up.

My big concern is the bindings. I know some shops won't touch them if they are a few years old. I am not as concerned with ski technology.

Thoughts? My gut says don't bother but my frugal side says go for it.
post #2 of 21

I did this a few times, but I always found something I liked better the next year and ended up w/new skis in storage and riding the newer stuff I tried out.

post #3 of 21

Bindings generally have a 'life span' (when they are indemnified) of about 10 years. There have been lots of skis I have loved for 3 or 4 seasons, but technology marches forward, unless you get a spectacular deal I can't see a reason to double up on the same thing. I'd say wait till you want new skis and see what's out there in 4 or 5 years... it's always better (unless you are buying race stock skis, then longer tr's aren't always better!)

post #4 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassmantweed View Post

I really like my current rig and I am thinking of buying duplicates at the end of the season. I bet I can get 4 or 5 years out of my current rig and was thinking about having another set ready to go when these are just too beat up.

My big concern is the bindings. I know some shops won't touch them if they are a few years old. I am not as concerned with ski technology.

Thoughts? My gut says don't bother but my frugal side says go for it.

 

I don't do it to save money. I stock up on gear that I want to have after the manufacturer comes up with "next years big thing".

 

Had more than "a few" FKS 155's when they were stopping production. Perhaps my favorite modern binding.

Also have a cache of PX15 Racing with various brake widths. Nothing will come out in the next ten years I would rather ski so there is no risk what so ever for me.

post #5 of 21

Found a deal on  my  favorite Fox River socks ,merino wool & silk, made in USA.

Bought  24 pair.

post #6 of 21

As far as stuff like skis, boots, and bindings, there will always be something just as good or better. I guarantee it.

post #7 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgoat View Post
 

As far as stuff like skis, boots, and bindings, there will always be something just as good or better. I guarantee it.

 

Maybe, maybe not.

post #8 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi Smash View Post
 

 

Maybe, maybe not.

There will always be those who think the old technology was better. Just like there are people willing to pay $12,000 and up for my all original 64 Stratocaster (that's Fender, not Rossignol, and it's not for sale, I've had it too long to part with it, even though my newer guitars sound better.)

 

As far as skis go, every one of the 12 pairs of skis I've owned in the last 45 years (I know people who buy that many skis in a season, or close to it) has been better than the last pair. Same with boots. If it weren't for continuously improving technology I very much doubt I would still be skiing. No reason to think that we have now reached the point of perfection in ski gear--although the people who made my Kneissl Reisenslalom's back in the sixties surely thought they had.

post #9 of 21

At the beginning of last season, I found a NIB old stock pair of Lange WC 120s for $99 bucks shipped. Yes, the model is several years old, but it works for me and I'm not worried about the plastic on a boxed boot degrading. When I took them in for foot beds, my boot fitter (a former USST fitter) took one look at them and said "good boot, has the liner been molded?" "No", I replied. Within a few seconds, the liners were being warmed while he finished up the foot beds. Ah, bliss. If I like it, I will buy an old model until there is huge reason to change. I suppose this is not buying in bulk, but buying what I like. :)

 

http://www.epicski.com/products/lange-wc-120-ski-boot-mens

post #10 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgoat View Post
 

There will always be those who think the old technology was better. Just like there are people willing to pay $12,000 and up for my all original 64 Stratocaster (that's Fender, not Rossignol, and it's not for sale, I've had it too long to part with it, even though my newer guitars sound better.)

 

As far as skis go, every one of the 12 pairs of skis I've owned in the last 45 years (I know people who buy that many skis in a season, or close to it) has been better than the last pair. Same with boots. If it weren't for continuously improving technology I very much doubt I would still be skiing. No reason to think that we have now reached the point of perfection in ski gear--although the people who made my Kneissl Reisenslalom's back in the sixties surely thought they had.

 

Wow, you have an all original 64 strat ! What color is it?

post #11 of 21
I was ready to buy a spare pair after someone told me Lange was making substantial changes to my boots next year. Fortunately, before I got around to it, she confessed that she was pulling my leg and that they were just changing the color. But that wouldn't be buying in bulk, because I expect my current pair to last several more years, and at some point my aging feet will change shape and need a different boot.

I have heard that women are buying up Volkl Auras because of the major changes in the 2015s. They're not my thing, but I can understand it.
post #12 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi Smash View Post

 

 

Had more than "a few" FKS 155's when they were stopping production. Perhaps my favorite modern binding.

 

I have quite a stockpile of 916s.  Several NIB. 

 

I had a spare pair of 192 Elan m777s, but then I realized I wouldn't ski the current pair enough to kill them, so I wouldn't need a backup pair.

post #13 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdk6 View Post
 

 

Wow, you have an all original 64 strat ! What color is it?

Sunburst. Bought it in 69 for $125 at a Cleveland pawnshop. Same for the 65 Tremolux amp I bought with it--that one still has some original tubes.  There is at least one thing where the old stuff was better--vacuum tubes.

post #14 of 21

I used to do it all the time..if it was that good..maybe I can re-sell it for more$..and often did.I also ended up taking a lot of new stuff to the dump too.

I did it too because the skis were just so great.."what if"..mine got broken/stolen..see the above ending haha.

 

I once..after ONE RUN was so blown away that I drove right back to the ski store and bought another pair of Head WC's.

I still have the original pair as part of my collection. They will probably end up..see the above ending haha.

 

The "back up" ones..they are of course still in shrinkwrap..and will end up..see the above ending haha.

 

Parts of my "collection". I don't even think about selling them.

post #15 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiteroom View Post
 

Bindings generally have a 'life span' (when they are indemnified) of about 10 years. There have been lots of skis I have loved for 3 or 4 seasons, but technology marches forward, unless you get a spectacular deal I can't see a reason to double up on the same thing. I'd say wait till you want new skis and see what's out there in 4 or 5 years... it's always better (unless you are buying race stock skis, then longer tr's aren't always better!)

^^^^ Wisdom. Although I think some bindings like FKS's seem to stay indemnified for eternity. But yeah, skis march on. The Greatest Ski You've Ever Been On will be meh in 5 years. Exceptions might be skis that are being discontinued, where there will be a demand, so you can pick up an extra pair, if you don't want the second, you can sell it again. See, Volkl: non-rockered Gotama, Mantra. 

post #16 of 21

Skis: many times when I've ended the life of a ski too soon (ripped out edge, broken, etc) I've picked up a pair of the exact same skis leftover cheap or used.  What's nice about that is I'll still have one good ski left from the original pair.  I'll eventually end up on one ski from the new pair and one ski from the old pair.  They are usually my rock skis by that point, but it's a great way to get extra mileage out of skis cheaply... but I agree all that has to happen within a 5 year window or else I'm probably not going to be interested in skiing anymore given the better new skis available.

 

Boots: after my once every decade or so miserable process of getting fitted for new boots, I'll buy a duplicate of my new boots a year or two later when they are old enough to be leftover cheap.  Boot technology doesn't change very quickly and that's a great way to save on the overall cost of boots, but more importantly the pain of getting new boots.

 

Bindings: I'll keep reusing until no longer indemnified.  I've thought about mounting older not indemnified but still great bindings myself, but I'm too lazy.

post #17 of 21

If you really love your skis, I'd keep an eye on what the company plans to do next year ... If this model is discontinued or modified, try the new model that replaces it to see if you'll enjoy it as much, otherwise monitor sales and try to get a good price ... 
If the bindings are good at least 10 years, after 2-3 years, you can sell your old pair and use your new! 
For my part, I bought a second pair of Speed ​​Course Ti ... Even after having demoed a lot of 2014 and even 2015 skis, They still rock for me!!!
ps if anyone is still looking for a pair of Speed ​​Course Ti, I know where still find new ...

post #18 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonrpen View Post
 

Found a deal on  my  favorite Fox River socks ,merino wool & silk, made in USA.

Bought  24 pair.

hehe. 24 pairs! Now that's bulk. How many days/yr do you ski??

 

Were those the older ones? They changed the mix of fabric several years ago and they're not as good. I had the older ones and are still using after nearly 10 years. The newer got holes in the toes after several days of use. Not good..

 

Where did you get this deal?

post #19 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tog View Post
 

hehe. 24 pairs! Now that's bulk. How many days/yr do you ski??

 

Were those the older ones? They changed the mix of fabric several years ago and they're not as good. I had the older ones and are still using after nearly 10 years. The newer got holes in the toes after several days of use. Not good..

 

Where did you get this deal?


Yea, I got these a long,long time ago. I rotate socks, fresh socks two times a day and I still have some new unopened packages.

Sadly, I can only ski 2 or 3 days a year now but I know I have enough socks forever!

post #20 of 21

Well I'd buy a couple pair off you if you want to reduce the drawer space.

post #21 of 21
I buy running shoes, running socks, inneR tubes, bike tires, air cannisters, handlebar tapes, chamois cream, shaving cream biggrin.gif, all in bulk.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Does any one here buy "in bulk" once they find something they like?