or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › General Skiing Discussion › Tipping Etiquette for ski instructors
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Tipping Etiquette for ski instructors - Page 22

post #631 of 656
One post in this thread seems perfect to provide the link. Multiple posts in every forum, as with all multi posting, is not okay.
post #632 of 656
Quote:
Originally Posted by sibhusky View Post

One post in this thread seems perfect to provide the link. Multiple posts in every forum, as with all multi posting, is not okay.

I agree, and I think the other thread where he's asking ski instructors to unite is probably okay.  (I'll ask the moderators to weigh in on it) 

 

If instructors reply in that thread, then @fairwages will see if his project has steam. 

post #633 of 656

Sorry I was snarky.  It was a cheap shot.

 

That being said, promoting skiing has a lot of dimensions to it.  You could just as easily say it isn't in your job description to promote ski instruction, or promote ski gear, etc.  Of course, quality instruction does promote skiing.  One can easily argue that increasing professionalism (e.g. the ability to make a living) through teaching skiing could promote skiing as well.

 

I personally think unionizing has no chance of success.  What might have a chance of success is to start a dialogue inside PSIA about creating the conditions for success in the profession of ski instruction.

 

  • Mike
post #634 of 656
Quote:
Originally Posted by habacomike View Post
 

Sorry I was snarky.  It was a cheap shot.

 

That being said, promoting skiing has a lot of dimensions to it.  You could just as easily say it isn't in your job description to promote ski instruction, or promote ski gear, etc.  Of course, quality instruction does promote skiing.  One can easily argue that increasing professionalism (e.g. the ability to make a living) through teaching skiing could promote skiing as well.

 

I personally think unionizing has no chance of success.  What might have a chance of success is to start a dialogue inside PSIA about creating the conditions for success in the profession of ski instruction.

 

  • Mike

Cheap shot from you?  pffft......Don't you worry about me.  

And FWIW I agree with you.  But then you're usually right......not always but usually. ;)

post #635 of 656
Quote:
Originally Posted by sibhusky View Post

One post in this thread seems perfect to provide the link. Multiple posts in every forum, as with all multi posting, is not okay.

 

Multiple posts in every forum is a bit of an overstatement, don't you think?  To my recollection, I had 3 posts with links-

 

1.  First Chair- I thought this was designed to introduce yourself and my main impetus for joining was this thread which lead me to create the Facebook page that I linked to.  I guess I could have just said Hi, I joined today, but that didn't seem like much of an introduction.

 

2.  The post in the ski instructors forum as that is where asking fellow instructors seemed to make the most sense to make the most sense to have a thread dedicated to Ski Instructor Unionization.  While it was brought up here, it is not the actual topic of this thread (which had been inactive for several months).  If this was the wrong place to put it, then I am happy to have it placed in the appropriate sub forum.

 

3.  The link back from this thread to the new thread that I started (#2) above.  My thinking was that a number of posters in this thread commented about or might have an interested in Ski Instructor unionization.  Was trying to make it easy for those people to find the new thread.

 

I don't believe that any of my other posts link to the Facebook page.

 

Originally Posted by Trekchick View Post

 

I agree, and I think the other thread where he's asking ski instructors to unite is probably okay.  (I'll ask the moderators to weigh in on it) 

 

If instructors reply in that thread, then @fairwages will see if his project has steam. 

thanks

post #636 of 656

@fairwages Welcome to EpicSki.  I think they call this the "getting your feet wet" part of your experience. :D

post #637 of 656
Quote:
Originally Posted by habacomike View Post
 

Sorry I was snarky.  It was a cheap shot.

 

That being said, promoting skiing has a lot of dimensions to it.  You could just as easily say it isn't in your job description to promote ski instruction, or promote ski gear, etc.  Of course, quality instruction does promote skiing.  One can easily argue that increasing professionalism (e.g. the ability to make a living) through teaching skiing could promote skiing as well.

 

I personally think unionizing has no chance of success.  What might have a chance of success is to start a dialogue inside PSIA about creating the conditions for success in the profession of ski instruction.

 

  • Mike

Thanks Mike for articulating some of the reasons why I thought this was an appropriate forum to bring up this topic. 

post #638 of 656
What PSIA could do is ask the question; is it time for a $15 dollar minimum wage at the ski school? Being that instructors are only on the clock while teaching and training, it wouldn't seem like a large burden. We also take clients in for lunch, to the boot fitter, to the demo center, the tune shop, etc... A good instructor generates many times his/her wage of income for the area and ancillary services.
post #639 of 656
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekchick View Post
 

I agree, and I think the other thread where he's asking ski instructors to unite is probably okay.  (I'll ask the moderators to weigh in on it) 

 

If instructors reply in that thread, then @fairwages will see if his project has steam. 

Meh, I thought that "Ask A Pro" thread was designed for regular skiers to ask ski instructors questions about improving their skiing.. just like boot fitters is about helping people fix their boots. The locker room in the lounge would be the ideal place to discuss workplace environment related topics.  FW should hang around, get the feedback, then stir the union pot there IMO.

post #640 of 656
Quote:
Originally Posted by crgildart View Post
 

Meh, I thought that "Ask A Pro" thread was designed for regular skiers to ask ski instructors questions about improving their skiing.. just like boot fitters is about helping people fix their boots. The locker room in the lounge would be the ideal place to discuss workplace environment related topics.  FW should hang around, get the feedback, then stir the union pot there IMO.

It looks like that is marked as "Private"  How long do I have to "hang around" to be allowed in?

post #641 of 656
Quote:
Originally Posted by fairwages View Post
 

It looks like that is marked as "Private"  How long do I have to "hang around" to be allowed in?


I think you have to earn a reputation feedback score of 50.  I'll toss you some to get you started.  Do you actually teach skiing anywhere?

post #642 of 656
Quote:
Originally Posted by fairwages View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sibhusky View Post

One post in this thread seems perfect to provide the link. Multiple posts in every forum, as with all multi posting, is not okay.

 

Multiple posts in every forum is a bit of an overstatement, don't you think?  To my recollection, I had 3 posts with links-

 

1.  First Chair- I thought this was designed to introduce yourself and my main impetus for joining was this thread which lead me to create the Facebook page that I linked to.  I guess I could have just said Hi, I joined today, but that didn't seem like much of an introduction.

 

2.  The post in the ski instructors forum as that is where asking fellow instructors seemed to make the most sense to make the most sense to have a thread dedicated to Ski Instructor Unionization.  While it was brought up here, it is not the actual topic of this thread (which had been inactive for several months).  If this was the wrong place to put it, then I am happy to have it placed in the appropriate sub forum.

 

3.  The link back from this thread to the new thread that I started (#2) above.  My thinking was that a number of posters in this thread commented about or might have an interested in Ski Instructor unionization.  Was trying to make it easy for those people to find the new thread.

 

I don't believe that any of my other posts link to the Facebook page.

 

So where's this new thread you started?  I can't find it.

post #643 of 656

The thread posted in "Ask a Pro" has been flagged for moderation.

post #644 of 656
Quote:
Originally Posted by crgildart View Post
 


I think you have to earn a reputation feedback score of 50.  I'll toss you some to get you started.  Do you actually teach skiing anywhere?

Thanks…that seemed to do the trick.  Yes, I am not teaching currently, but have taught at several Colorado resorts in the past and hope to teach again next season.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by crgildart View Post
 

The thread posted in "Ask a Pro" has been flagged for moderation.

So, should I just wait to see what happens or should I repost in the Lounge now that I am allowed in?

post #645 of 656

Ask Trekchick what the moderation team has decided.  You could PM her.

post #646 of 656

I've been communicating with Fairwages and let him know that the moderation team has cleared his thread.  I believe that it may be better suited in another forum area, like instruction or Apres' Ski, but, again, I will leave that up to him and the moderators to sort out. 

post #647 of 656
Seems like it belongs in the Locker Room, but then maybe there are a ton of instructors who would have to be vetted to respond? What are the criteria for that anyway? Just membership in PSIA or more?
post #648 of 656

I'm pretty sure I've posted in The Locker Room before.  I've worked as an instructor many moons ago but fall way short of the badge criteria.  It seems open to all passholders at the moment.

post #649 of 656
Quote:
Originally Posted by crgildart View Post
 

I'm pretty sure I've posted in The Locker Room before.  I've worked as an instructor many moons ago but fall way short of the badge criteria.  It seems open to all passholders at the moment.

I believe this is the case.

But if it were my thread, I'd put it in Ski Instruction & Coaching.  

I think more people visit there.

post #650 of 656
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidFeet View Post
 

I believe this is the case.

But if it were my thread, I'd put it in Ski Instruction & Coaching.  

I think more people visit there.


The lounge used to be a lot more private than it is today.  There were some tongue and cheek comments happening there that regular members and lurkers might not find so funny.  However, now that the door is wide open to anyone with fifty Thumbs Up I don't see much need to keep it buried there.  I do think Ski Instruction and Coaching might also need a title change and Add The Patrol Shack there as well.

post #651 of 656
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidFeet View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by crgildart View Post

 
I'm pretty sure I've posted in The Locker Room before.  I've worked as an instructor many moons ago but fall way short of the badge criteria.  It seems open to all passholders at the moment.
I believe this is the case.
But if it were my thread, I'd put it in Ski Instruction & Coaching.  
I think more people visit there.

But is the point to include all skiers or just instructors? It seems like more of a profession issue.
post #652 of 656
Quote:
Originally Posted by sibhusky View Post


But is the point to include all skiers or just instructors? It seems like more of a profession issue.


Ask a Pro only includes instructor badges in replies.  That permissions format is probably how that should work only badges should be allowed to start threads there too through. But, could it possibly also include patrol somehow too?

post #653 of 656

I don't think Ask A Snow Pro is the correct forum.  There are a lot of instructors, including myself, who don't have the ability to post.  It is a place for students to get high level advice from a high level instructor.

post #654 of 656
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiMangoJazz View Post

I don't think Ask A Snow Pro is the correct forum.  There are a lot of instructors, including myself, who don't have the ability to post.  It is a place for students to get high level advice from a high level instructor.

Which is why I suggested Locker Room.

I don't understand why non-badged instructors who want to join the discussion can't go through the vetting process and get access. If they taught a class of three year olds once and that's it they probably wouldn't get through, but are they pros anyway?
post #655 of 656
Quote:
Originally Posted by crgildart View Post
 

Meh, I thought that "Ask A Pro" thread was designed for regular skiers to ask ski instructors questions about improving their skiing.. just like boot fitters is about helping people fix their boots. The locker room in the lounge would be the ideal place to discuss workplace environment related topics.  FW should hang around, get the feedback, then stir the union pot there IMO.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sibhusky View Post

Seems like it belongs in the Locker Room, but then maybe there are a ton of instructors who would have to be vetted to respond? What are the criteria for that anyway? Just membership in PSIA or more?

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidFeet View Post
 

I believe this is the case.

But if it were my thread, I'd put it in Ski Instruction & Coaching.  

I think more people visit there.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sibhusky View Post

Seems like it belongs in the Locker Room, but then maybe there are a ton of instructors who would have to be vetted to respond? What are the criteria for that anyway? Just membership in PSIA or more?

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiMangoJazz View Post
 

I don't think Ask A Snow Pro is the correct forum.  There are a lot of instructors, including myself, who don't have the ability to post.  It is a place for students to get high level advice from a high level instructor.

You are not alone in that opinion hahahaha

post #656 of 656

Agree about Locker Room, as it seems to fit the description and I can post in it! :)

 

I'll PM fairwages and Trekchick and suggest that.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Skiing Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › General Skiing Discussion › Tipping Etiquette for ski instructors