or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › Mountain/Resort Related Forums › Resorts, Conditions & Travel › Suggestions for Utah resorts for the next 10 days? [Feb, intermediate]
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Suggestions for Utah resorts for the next 10 days? [Feb, intermediate]

post #1 of 18
Thread Starter 

I am in Salt Lake City for two weeks of skiing. I did Brighton on Saturday and Sunday (epic days, plenty of powder, easy to ski) and Sundance yesterday (snow was heavy after rain, harder to ski) and last night (icy sheets of death).

 

I am hoping to ski Snowbasin, Canyons, Deer Valley, Alta, and Brighton again over the next 10 or so days. It seems that the weather will be getting warmer, with a chance of rain, with some storms later. I assume this will mean icy conditions (snow melts during the day, then freezes overnight) or more of the thick, heavy snow.

 

I'm only an intermediate skier and find it hard to negotiate powder when it's wet and heavy. And I really want to avoid anywhere icy. So I'm not sure, based on the current conditions and expected weather, which days will be good or bad for each of the mentioned resorts.

 

Any recommendations or advice appreciated.

post #2 of 18

Elevation is likely to be your friend if it warms significantly.  That means Alta, Snowbird, Brighton and Solitude. Based on the forecast, Snowbasin and the Canyons are likely to be better sooner rather than later in the week. 

post #3 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hired Goon View Post
 

I am in Salt Lake City for two weeks of skiing. I did Brighton on Saturday and Sunday (epic days, plenty of powder, easy to ski) and Sundance yesterday (snow was heavy after rain, harder to ski) and last night (icy sheets of death).

 

I am hoping to ski Snowbasin, Canyons, Deer Valley, Alta, and Brighton again over the next 10 or so days. It seems that the weather will be getting warmer, with a chance of rain, with some storms later. I assume this will mean icy conditions (snow melts during the day, then freezes overnight) or more of the thick, heavy snow.

 

I'm only an intermediate skier and find it hard to negotiate powder when it's wet and heavy. And I really want to avoid anywhere icy. So I'm not sure, based on the current conditions and expected weather, which days will be good or bad for each of the mentioned resorts.

 

Any recommendations or advice appreciated.

Welcome to EpicSki!  When you to go Alta, I suggest you start on the Albion side.  Be sure to find your way to the Supreme lift.  Great place for an intermediate who is interested in trying some short, steeper trails.  Note that Alta is significantly higher than the other places you mentioned.  That means the likelihood of weather warm enough to result in thaw/freeze issues is much less.

 

Check out the EpicSki guide for Alta:

http://www.epicski.com/a/alta-an-unofficial-guide

 

Snowbasin is well worth the drive in good visibility.  It's worth riding up the tram for the view.  Take your poles with you.  Then ride back down.

post #4 of 18

Go to resorts with good groomers, particularly Snowbasin, Deer Valley and maybe other PC resorts(?). Avoid ungroomed terrain as it's going to be filled with wet, heavy snow - that was true even on Sunday. The groomers should still be riding nicely with the recent snow. 

 

In terms of boilerplate, just plan to go later in the morning through regular close - hard crunch doesn't last when it's 40 degrees out, so only threatens to be a problem in the early morning and night. I don't even think it'll be that cold in the morning, but I guess it depends on the resort and the day. 

post #5 of 18

I have skiied almost every resort in Utah and found that each one has many great characteristics.

 

Snowbird: Steep, lots of terrain, great snow, more for the Intermediate to advanced level of skier. It also gets more snow than the mountains up Big cottonwood canyon as well as those up parleys way. Some good regions to check out are off of Gad 2 lift in the tiger tail area. Also mineral is a massive open bowl that is located on the backside of the mountain, which offers steep chutes, groomers and big open bowls. I would recommend skiing the Cirque as well.

 

Alta: Same as snowbird but less crowded and also do not have to worry about snowboarders.

 

Park City: Park City has alot of variety. It has a multiple parks that put many of the top parks in the world to shame. The groomers are very fun along with the terrain that McConkeys lift has to offer. It is a little less steep and not as gnarly as Snowbird and Alta but has a lot of variety to offer. 

 

Solitude: This resort is awesome! It doesn't nearly get as crowder as Snowbird which means youre able to find Pow staches all day. It is a little bit smaller but the Honeycomb area is awesome when it opens. The terrain varries from steep and technical to some nice groomers. This mountain has a great vibe as well.

 

Brighton: Brighton is also pretty fun and offers variety as well. They have a really fun park along with some great access to side country. Off of the Great western lift is some steep trees as well as some nice open faces. Millicent lift is really fun as well and offers some groomers as well as some very steep terrain. 

 

Snowbasin: I only have skiied here once but found it to be a hidden gem. There are so many differnt terrain options. You can ski a huge bowl off in the area known as Strawberry. There are many fun areas inbounds that have nice tree sections and technical sections as well. the upper part of the mountain is more oriented towards advanced skiers. The lower part of the resort offers some great groomers as well as a terrain park.

 

I hope tis helps and gives a little bit of overview on some of the resorts in Utah

post #6 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeUT View Post
 

Avoid ungroomed terrain as it's going to be filled with wet, heavy snow - that was true even on Sunday. 

 As they say in surfing, you shuold'a been here yesterday. LCC, that is. 

post #7 of 18
Thread Starter 
Thanks for the replies.

I've skied Brighton many times: all the blues, and a couple of the blacks. I've also skied Canyons, Deer Valley, and Snowbasin. Gotta agree that Snowbasin is a hidden gem, which is why I want to pick the right day to go there.

My main concern is avoiding ice. I had a bad experience at Sundance on Monday night, when the trails were iced over, and hoping not to subject the family to the same. That might mean sticking to the well groomed runs.

Maybe Canyons tomorrow, Deer Valley on Thursday, not sure after that.
post #8 of 18
Thread Starter 
I'm at Canyons today, good conditions, some powder stashes, snowing all day. Tomorrow should be better.
post #9 of 18

Definitely do not overlook Solitude.  Go there instead of Brighton again.

post #10 of 18

Alta will always have the best snow conditions. Go to others you're worried about first. But don't miss Alta.

post #11 of 18

I am traveling to Park City in two weeks and plan on skiing 4 days. One place that we were considering was Powder Mountain. Can anybody provide any insight on the mountain as a whole. It looks like a really cool place and the snowcat rides are very intriguing. 

post #12 of 18

I LOVE Solitude! Great runs and plenty for an Intermediate. And hardly any crowds...try it out!

post #13 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by NESkiBum View Post
 

I am traveling to Park City in two weeks and plan on skiing 4 days. One place that we were considering was Powder Mountain. Can anybody provide any insight on the mountain as a whole. It looks like a really cool place and the snowcat rides are very intriguing. 

What do you know about PowMow so far?  How good are you at skiing untracked powder and trees?  You won't find steeps at PowMow but you will find lots of places to play after a storm, with very little company.  I think @mikebike is still there.  I suggest you send a PM and see if you can hook up.  He gave me a wonderful tour.  Just before the dumps started, but definitely helps to understand how the place is laid out.

 

If you haven't been to Snowbasin and there isn't fresh powder, it's worth the drive too.  A little closer and easier to figure out where to have fun at any ability level for first timers.  Check out the Epicski guide:

 

http://www.epicski.com/a/snowbasin-ut-unofficial-guide

post #14 of 18

If you don't have a local to show you around at PowMow, I highly recommend the all day guided tour. You can do with up to 6 people and cost is $195. You get a free cat ride up lightening ridge as part of it. Just did it about 10 days ago after they reported 6 inches and it was awesome. Think they undereported. Basically untracked all day long.

post #15 of 18
Thread Starter 
I was hoping to go to snowbasin today, but I called ahead and was told that it was raining heavily. I also called Deer Valley, and again was told that it was raining. :'(

So I headed to Alta instead: snowing heavily early in the morning, lighter during the day. Lots of powder and plenty of smooth groomed runs. Had an awesome time. It was snowing heavily in the afternoon so tomorrow should be pretty good.
post #16 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hired Goon View Post

I was hoping to go to snowbasin today, but I called ahead and was told that it was raining heavily. I also called Deer Valley, and again was told that it was raining. :'(

So I headed to Alta instead: snowing heavily early in the morning, lighter during the day. Lots of powder and plenty of smooth groomed runs. Had an awesome time. It was snowing heavily in the afternoon so tomorrow should be pretty good.

You'll likely get more of the same over the next few days.  Altitude, as someone else mentioned, is your friend right now.  Hit Snowbasin next week after the warm ridge breaks; Wednesday the base high temp is only forecast at 34.  Or for a little taste of good spring skiing, hit Snowbasin on Monday.  Mid-40s at the base, low 40s mid-mountain, and partly sunny after a little bit of snow Sunday.  We got sugar snow a couple of weeks ago in low-40s conditions and it was fantastic.  If the visibility is good Monday, and the wind stays quiet, it could be a very good day for Basin.

post #17 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hired Goon View Post

I was hoping to go to snowbasin today, but I called ahead and was told that it was raining heavily. I also called Deer Valley, and again was told that it was raining. :'(

So I headed to Alta instead: snowing heavily early in the morning, lighter during the day. Lots of powder and plenty of smooth groomed runs. Had an awesome time. It was snowing heavily in the afternoon so tomorrow should be pretty good.


Interested to know - was it busy?

post #18 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Govnor 
Interested to know - was it busy?

I've never done a full day at Alta before, so I can't compare to other days, but I rarely waited long to get on a lift.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Resorts, Conditions & Travel
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › Mountain/Resort Related Forums › Resorts, Conditions & Travel › Suggestions for Utah resorts for the next 10 days? [Feb, intermediate]