or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Après-Ski › What Ever Happed to Moguls? Off-Topic
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What Ever Happed to Moguls? Off-Topic - Page 2

post #31 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Matta View Post
 

the thing is cirque Blake is not a good skier outside of the bumps. He would not pass his PSIA L3 and maybe not even his L2. Is he better at zipperlining than me? yes, is he better at making rounder zipperline than just about anyone? yes but he is not that good of skier outside of this realm or every turn style in bumps compared to Bob Barnes he is schmoe just like me, he catches air and has flair but in his none bump skiing he is over flexed at his ankles, over flexed at his hips, inclinates instead of angulates, a frames every turn, and rotated his hips/shoulder in every turn. 

 

what I want is a video of WC calpher bump skier skiing an offensive per Bob Barnes choices of words turn anywhere including the bumps. edge to edge slow line fast skiing. If its so easy I would love to see Kearny or Pat D doing it anywhere. If someone can find it I will seriously never talk about bumps again. 

 

 

Why?

post #32 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirquerider View Post
 

 

Why?

 

 

to what part of my post? 

 

if it to the video request its to prove that bump skiers are one dimensional and really only pivot skid every turn , they ever do. The lack of video of these people skiing outside of the bumps is IMO telling of the truth. 

post #33 of 52

But you ski, and have skied with many skiers that can demonstrate these skills and choose not to do the video internet mind game thing.  You know it exists and is exceptional, but not that uncommon.  It earns it's respect on the hill and it works.  What do skiers like Bob Peters, Bob Barnes, Erik Timmerman, Iriponsnow and many others have to prove by posting vids to satisfy your "truth".  You are in a position to enjoy skiing daily with skiers that are an example to those of us that can only aspire to these skills.  I have had the privilege of skiing with a disproportionate share of skilled and expert skiers that can ski anywhere, anytime.  I don't get this internet video thing, nor do I need video to know such skills exist.   There are a surprising number of skiers that inhabit Epicski and TGR that really have nothing to prove to either of us.  They lay it down everytime they step on the hill.

 

There is nothing quite like actually playing on the mountain with exceptional skiers.  I think this internet video game to prove or compare ability is pointless.   Most posted video is out there to teach, learn or entertain.  Using that video to characterize a skier as one-dimensional simply misses the point why it was posted.   Have you ever heard the saying "jack of all trades, master of none"?  There are all-around great skiers, but I have no problem with the specialists for what they bring.


Edited by Cirquerider - 2/11/14 at 4:58pm
post #34 of 52

I've skied only for a couple of days/hours with Bob Barnes and Bob Peters (last spring at Jackson & big sky / moonlight) and what was immediately apparent is that the last thing either would do is try to make someone else feel bad about their skiing or talk themselves up even the slightest.  Same deal with a number of Squaw rippers who I've tried to keep up with.  Because they don't have to, they're just out there skiing.

 

Perhaps something to learn from.......

post #35 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayT View Post
 

I've skied only for a couple of days/hours with Bob Barnes and Bob Peters (last spring at Jackson & big sky / moonlight) and what was immediately apparent is that the last thing either would do is try to make someone else feel bad about their skiing or talk themselves up even the slightest.

 

 

Truth is, it;s the same if you ski w Josh. I have no idea why he is so different here.

post #36 of 52
Thread Starter 
^I'm starting to think this might just be the case; Josh, are you just a kook on the interwebz, or are you like this everywhere? Also, what is your obsession with video posted on the web? In my experience, better skiers won't generally put up with wasting much time being videoed, much less taking video of themselves.

The bit about pros not being able to pass their L3 is a little bit laughable. I doubt most would want to bother to try, but could do so relatively easily, even if they had to dial it back a little bit.

You've already admitted that you couldn't do what they do: why do you find it so impossible to believe that any of them can do what you do?

Seriously dude, there's no shame in acknowledging another skier's ability, but blatantly denying it, especially when it's clearly apparent, hurts your own credibility, and makes you sound like kind of a petty jerk.

If what JayT says is true, you're better than that, at least in person.
Edited by MT Skull - 2/11/14 at 8:20pm
post #37 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Matta View Post

 

what I want is a video of WC calpher bump skier skiing an offensive per Bob Barnes choices of words turn anywhere including the bumps. edge to edge slow line fast skiing. If its so easy I would love to see Kearny or Pat D doing it anywhere. If someone can find it I will seriously never talk about bumps again. 

 

This cracks me up. If I had my choice of touring the WC and going to two Olympics, three as Kearny did or satisfy your/BB hypothesis of offensive/defensive movements, I know which one I would pick.  

 

BTW, I have skied with former competitors, they don't ski like any instructors I have seen but I can see why they could compete at a high level.  

post #38 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by MT Skull View Post

^I'm starting to think this might just be the case; Josh, are you just a kook on the interwebz, or are you like this everywhere? Also, what is your obsession with video posted on the web? In my experience, better skiers won't generally put up with wasting much time being videoed, much less taking video of themselves.

The bit about pros not being able to pass their L3 is a little bit laughable. I doubt most would want to bother to try, but could do so relatively easily, even if they had to dial it back a little bit.

You've already admitted that you couldn't do what they do: why do you find it so impossible to believe that any of them can do what you do?

Seriously dude, there's no shame in acknowledging another skier's ability, but blatantly denying it, especially when it's clearly apparent, hurts your own credibility, and makes you sound like kind of a petty jerk.

If what JayT says is true, you're better than that, at least in person.

 

 

this is not about dialing anything in, this about movement patterns which they simply do not have. You can ski your free runs as hard as you want during exams but its got to be the right movement patterns

post #39 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Matta View Post

...

 

what I want is a video of WC calpher bump skier skiing an offensive per Bob Barnes choices of words turn anywhere including the bumps. edge to edge slow line fast skiing. If its so easy I would love to see Kearny or Pat D doing it anywhere. If someone can find it I will seriously never talk about bumps again. 

This is about like saying you want video of a slopestyle competitor doing a straight air...I mean, all they can do is spin.

 

Why on earth would someone, training seriously to do something that is really hard to do well, go out of their way to do something that is both easy and in many respects different from true bump skiing? 

post #40 of 52
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldPlank View Post


Why on earth would someone, training seriously to do something that is really hard to do well, go out of their way to do something that is both easy and in many respects different from true bump skiing? 
Ding, ding, ding!
Most never will, and therefore Josh can continue making ridiculous claims about their skills being lacking.

Even if Deneen of Kearney were to oblige him with some boring L3 footy, he'd refuse to acknowledge their talent, and I doubt that anyone who skis at anywhere near their level would give a crap what some puffed-up PSIA geek thinks of their skiing anyway. I know I don 't. I just come here to goof on the guy, and he can't seem to help himself from taking the bait every time.

I've skied for, and been favorably judged by much better than PSIA kooks. The sad truth is the majority of PSIA are not qualified to judge even amateur mogul skiing, because they cannot ski moguls properly, much less instruct others how to do so.

Speaking of videos; if you want a good chuckle some time, look at some of the mogul instruction videos on the PSIA site. It may paint a clearer picture of where Josh gets some of his more deluded notions from.
post #41 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldPlank View Post
 

This is about like saying you want video of a slopestyle competitor doing a straight air...I mean, all they can do is spin.

 

Why on earth would someone, training seriously to do something that is really hard to do well, go out of their way to do something that is both easy and in many respects different from true bump skiing? 


Well, actually, Kim Lamarre, who got bronze in the women's slopestyle, finished her run with a straight air, which, as the announcers pointed out, is much harder than it looks.

post #42 of 52
Thread Starter 
^That was switch, wasn't it? Either way, valid point, and it was refreshing to not see flippy-spinny for a change.
post #43 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by MT Skull View Post

^That was switch, wasn't it? Either way, valid point, and it was refreshing to not see flippy-spinny for a change.


 Switch makes it a lot different from a basic straight air.  A few of the snowboarders also threw backside 180s, which are also sort of an inside joke in that they are hard to do. 

 

There's nothing wrong with knowing how to ski a bump run if you don't want to ski it like a bump run.  The point is that people who ski bumps at a higher level of skill shouldn't be looked down on for not going out of their way to show they can also do something easier.

post #44 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by MT Skull View Post

^That was switch, wasn't it? Either way, valid point, and it was refreshing to not see flippy-spinny for a change.

Yes switch -

post #45 of 52

one of the former mogul competitors I was talking about was skiing switch, he carved out some really pretty arcs... yes, carved. 

post #46 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by jack97 View Post
 

one of the former mogul competitors I was talking about was skiing switch, he carved out some really pretty arcs... yes, carved. 

 

 

carving switch is not that hard.

post #47 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Matta View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jack97 View Post
 

one of the former mogul competitors I was talking about was skiing switch, he carved out some really pretty arcs... yes, carved. 

 

 

carving switch is not that hard.

 

Film at 11:00 following our exclusive Olympic coverage. Please tune in.

post #48 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Matta View Post
 

 

 

carving switch is not that hard.

 

prolly not for his skill set. Let's see, he made it to two olympics, placed in several wc, taught freesyle moguls and has a student in the slope style at sochi. 

 

 

 

ps, nicest guy I ever met, not full of himself b/c of his past accomplishments and is a pretty cool role model for the kids he is coaching.  

post #49 of 52
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Matta View Post
 

 

 

this is not about dialing anything in, this about movement patterns which they simply do not have. You can ski your free runs as hard as you want during exams but its got to be the right movement patterns

I ate a bunch of kale tonight, so I'll post some sweet "movement patterns" for you in the morning.

Might as well get myself banned at this point; two weeks is about all I can take of this place and your gibberish.

 

No offense to the others here who've actually contributed something to the discussion; it should be obvious by now, that was never my intent.


Edited by MT Skull - 2/12/14 at 10:41pm
post #50 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Matta View Post


to what part of my post? 

if it to the video request its to prove that bump skiers are one dimensional and really only pivot skid every turn , they ever do. The lack of video of these people skiing outside of the bumps is IMO telling of the truth. 

So did you miss Mr. Moseley skiing in Alaska? Or at Squaw? The dude' old enough to be your uncle and he'd pretty much own you anywhere anytime on any hill... As would Mr. Plake. Until you stop coming off as an angry middle schooler, I doubt PSIA nat'l is going to touch your show.
Edited by markojp - 2/12/14 at 11:55pm
post #51 of 52

the point is it not who owns anyone it about movement patterns. Empty Skulls post show ass soon as he is faced with tough questions he just reverts backs to childish post. 

post #52 of 52
Thread Starter 
What tough questions? The fast, slow bullshit, or the movement pattern bullshit?

Those aren't tough questions, they're lofty terms you like to use because you think they make you sound like you know what you're talking about, but your video footage still reveals your lack of skills, so the terminology is meaningless.

Face it dude, I'm a lost cause. You're never going to convince me of your competence, and your continued attempts only succeed in making you look more and more pathetic.

Again, if you're so sure of youself, why even respond to my heckling?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Après-Ski
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Après-Ski › What Ever Happed to Moguls? Off-Topic