or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › I NEED A LIGHTWEIGHT HELMET - Any Suggestions
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

I NEED A LIGHTWEIGHT HELMET - Any Suggestions

post #1 of 15
Thread Starter 

Hello:

 

It is time to get a helmet. I am very into comfort, air circulation and weight. I wear an extra large hat so I assume same goes for helmet. Someone told me there are helmets with blue tooth capability w/ speakers etc? This sounds very interesting to me. Will this add much to the overall weight? Anyway, I am looking for suggestions please. I am mainly a cruiser. I like steep black diamonds and groomed blue squares.....I am just looking to keep up wit the trends since I noticed everyone wears helmets now. Having the Bluetooth/speaker capability is not a must-have, but I want to explore both options. Thanks All!!!

post #2 of 15

Helmets from different manufacturers fit very differently.  Your best bet is to go into a ski shop and start trying them on.  Bring your goggles to make sure they work well with the helmet.

post #3 of 15

Smith Maze is one of the lightest adult helmets made, it has the ability to be fitted with blue tooth speakers. As far as size goes, don't assume you are an XL, many manufacturers don't make an XL in all styles but use a fit system that can adjust quite a bit. I have folks come in all the time and say "I definitely need an XL", then try on on and say "I guess I don't need an XL, this thing is HUGE"

post #4 of 15
While it may not keep you warm, and it might look funny a road bike helmet might be an idea if you are concerned about weight. I don't use mine to ski but my Specialized SWorks Prevail is featherweight. I wear it with a balaclava sometimes in the winter so that combo could work.

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Tapatalk
post #5 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by PearlRiverDad View Post
 

Hello:

 

It is time to get a helmet. I am very into comfort, air circulation and weight. I wear an extra large hat so I assume same goes for helmet. Someone told me there are helmets with blue tooth capability w/ speakers etc? This sounds very interesting to me. Will this add much to the overall weight? Anyway, I am looking for suggestions please. I am mainly a cruiser. I like steep black diamonds and groomed blue squares.....I am just looking to keep up wit the trends since I noticed everyone wears helmets now. Having the Bluetooth/speaker capability is not a must-have, but I want to explore both options. Thanks All!!!

 

So you think you now want whatever "protection" a helmet might give you and yet also want the distraction of blue tooth and lack of awareness of your surroundings by playing music while you ski.

 

You may be far better off sticking to your "XL" hat  :eek

post #6 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiteroom View Post
 

Smith Maze is one of the lightest adult helmets made, it has the ability to be fitted with blue tooth speakers. As far as size goes, don't assume you are an XL, many manufacturers don't make an XL in all styles but use a fit system that can adjust quite a bit. I have folks come in all the time and say "I definitely need an XL", then try on on and say "I guess I don't need an XL, this thing is HUGE"


I have a pretty big dome, and my Smith Maze, size L, fits just fine, even when I add a liner. But manufacturers' sizes differ. My older helmet, a Louis Garneau Duster, is supposed to be a junior helmet, but it's considerably heavier than the Maze and fits almost as large.

post #7 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi Smash View Post

So you think you now want whatever "protection" a helmet might give you and yet also want the distraction of blue tooth and lack of awareness of your surroundings by playing music while you ski.

You may be far better off sticking to your "XL" hat  eek.gif

Haha. Thanks. It is not my intention to listen to music while I ski. I would like to listen on lift lines and on lift.....also the ability to take a call or two (not while skiing of course) would be helpful. smile.gif
post #8 of 15
I also wear an XL. Have a Smith Vantage. Lightweight, well-ventilated, adjustable fit. But, as one of the other posters said, it's best to go into a shop and try on different makes/styles.

Do you know if your head shape is more round or oval? This could help narrow things down a bit for the smart ones here.
post #9 of 15

Try any of the Pret Helmets, great fit and really lightweight.  They all are "audio-ready" meaning you can drop any audio kit on the market in the ear covers.

post #10 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by PearlRiverDad View Post

Hello:

It is time to get a helmet. I am very into comfort, air circulation and weight. I wear an extra large hat so I assume same goes for helmet. Someone told me there are helmets with blue tooth capability w/ speakers etc? This sounds very interesting to me. Will this add much to the overall weight? Anyway, I am looking for suggestions please. I am mainly a cruiser. I like steep black diamonds and groomed blue squares.....I am just looking to keep up wit the trends since I noticed everyone wears helmets now. Having the Bluetooth/speaker capability is not a must-have, but I want to explore both options. Thanks All!!!
Hi. What size? I have a used POC Skull X for sale. A great helmet too big for me.
post #11 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by nochaser View Post

Hi. What size? I have a used POC Skull X for sale. A great helmet too big for me.

I wear XL hats. I recently went into a ski shop and the helmets that fit were XL
post #12 of 15
post #13 of 15
Thread Starter 

I will let you know......I have no idea what the difference between a "racing helmet" and a regular helmet is. I am definitely not a racer.....

post #14 of 15
Smith Vantage. Very light, barely feels like I have it on. I used to wear a Smith Variant Brim, and the Vantage is substantially lighter.
post #15 of 15

I have a Smith Aspect helmet and the XL fits my big head and is light.  At least compared to my MC helmets. :)

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › I NEED A LIGHTWEIGHT HELMET - Any Suggestions