or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Arapahoe Basin Feb 20-24 - Page 4

post #91 of 116
Landing was fine. Windy in the rental lot. Got a captiva with only 800 miles on it. New tires for sure.
post #92 of 116
Drive was easy. No snow in the road anywhere.
post #93 of 116
Thread Starter 

We did Copper yesterday and it was fantastic.  the bumps were great and it was awesome to pop in and out of the trees. I did 17 glade, which was a little bit tougher than  what I can do, but only fell twice which I considered a win for me lol.

post #94 of 116

Nice!  If you made it down 17 Glade, you'll be fine on most the runs at A-basin, certainly Pali itself.  The Alley's at A-basin are similar to 17 Glade, but maybe even a bit steeper.   

 

Speaking of 17 Glade... I caught a ski on a hidden branch in 17 Glade going way to fast on Wed, slid down quite a way head first on my back, then eventually rolled over, popped up and kept skiing.  My 17 year old nephew from out of state thinks his old Uncle Tball is nuts.  You should have seen the look on his face :eek 

post #95 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by tball View Post
 

Nice!  If you made it down 17 Glade, you'll be fine on most the runs at A-basin, certainly Pali itself.  The Alley's at A-basin are similar to 17 Glade, but maybe even a bit steeper.   

 

Speaking of 17 Glade... I caught a ski on a hidden branch in 17 Glade going way to fast on Wed, slid down quite a way head first on my back, then eventually rolled over, popped up and kept skiing.  My 17 year old nephew from out of state thinks his old Uncle Tball is nuts.  You should have seen the look on his face :eek 

 

Definitely a bit steeper, I think.  

post #96 of 116

I'd say the Alleys are considerably steeper than 17 Glade, but maybe I'm thinking of a different glade at Copper. 

post #97 of 116
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tball View Post
 

Nice!  If you made it down 17 Glade, you'll be fine on most the runs at A-basin, certainly Pali itself.  The Alley's at A-basin are similar to 17 Glade, but maybe even a bit steeper.   

 

Speaking of 17 Glade... I caught a ski on a hidden branch in 17 Glade going way to fast on Wed, slid down quite a way head first on my back, then eventually rolled over, popped up and kept skiing.  My 17 year old nephew from out of state thinks his old Uncle Tball is nuts.  You should have seen the look on his face :eek 

I spent so much time stopping and surveying the route, people probably thought I was the biggest idiot for being in there.  I didn't go straight down but more so cut through from right to left so that it was less steep.  The alley's seem like they would be too tough at A Basin, but what about runs like Scudder and No Name or Challenger?  

post #98 of 116
Thread Starter 

My Fiance loved Brennan's Grin, it was probably her favorite at Copper.  What would be the runs similar to that at ABasin?  I found out yesterday she tends to like short and decently bumpy runs.  

post #99 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekchick View Post
 

I'd say the Alleys are considerably steeper than 17 Glade, but maybe I'm thinking of a different glade at Copper. 


The ladies are, of course, correct... the Alleys are considerably steeper.  

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucunc156 View Post
 

My Fiance loved Brennan's Grin, it was probably her favorite at Copper.  What would be the runs similar to that at ABasin?  I found out yesterday she tends to like short and decently bumpy runs.  

 

That's great.  Most of the bump runs off the Pali lift at A-basin are going to be steeper than those off the Excelerator lift at Copper.   She'll probably really like the upper mountain at A-basin and Montazuma bowl, but again try to make it on a good visibility day.

 

If you do another day at Copper, also give Mine Dump and Hallelujah a try if you haven't.  The E lift is fantastic for short bump runs.  Also, Little Burn under the Timberline lift is a great easy bump run for working on technique and getting comfortable with bumps.  The bump runs on the Alpine and Resolution are, well, the opposite of short!  

 

The upgrade plans for Copper and A-basin filed with the forest service have great documents with specs on all the runs for comparison.

 

http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/whiteriver/landmanagement/planning/?cid=STELPRDB5333326

 

... but since you are here just get out and ski them!!!

post #100 of 116

There are a couple gullys on the far skiers right from the top of Leanawee Lift.  Those may have some nice bumps and fun pitches to play with.  

post #101 of 116
Thread Starter 
So the lady isn't feeling too good today and so ill be skiing alone most likely. I already have a BOGO to abasin and loveland and was going to use it today, so if anyone would like to go, let me know.
post #102 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucunc156 View Post

So the lady isn't feeling too good today and so ill be skiing alone most likely. I already have a BOGO to abasin and loveland and was going to use it today, so if anyone would like to go, let me know.

I believe they have free wifi in the lodge.  Maybe she would like to take advantage of that to keep her busy while you ski and she'll be there if she feels better and wants to go out. 

post #103 of 116
Thread Starter 
Had an awesome day today at Loveland even though I was solo! The blues there really vary quite a bit. A basin tomorrow to finish the trip!
post #104 of 116

Glad you got to enjoy the surprise 7 inches at Loveland today!  The forecast in Denver was a perfect 55 and sunny for a bike ride with the kiddos today... and we woke up to cold and snow. Yuck.

 

Have fun at A-basin tomorrow.  The snow should be great, and skiing on Monday is just a joy.

post #105 of 116
Thread Starter 

A Basin was awesome.  Her favorite and probably mine as well.  We didn't do any of the Pali runs except the blues and blacks to the left of the chair lift.  The right side looked to be too much for us.  We did traverse across the east wall and did the lower east wall/land of giants area.  Had to leave early and so we never got to do the montezuma bowl unfortunately but overall it was great!  We also had the brisket for a quick lunch and it was great!  Thank you everyone for the suggestions!

post #106 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucunc156 View Post
 

A Basin was awesome.  Her favorite and probably mine as well.  We didn't do any of the Pali runs except the blues and blacks to the left of the chair lift.  The right side looked to be too much for us.  We did traverse across the east wall and did the lower east wall/land of giants area.  Had to leave early and so we never got to do the montezuma bowl unfortunately but overall it was great!  We also had the brisket for a quick lunch and it was great!  Thank you everyone for the suggestions!

Great......Now, make plans to return to Arapahoe Basin for Mothers Day weekend and join in on the fun!

OFFICIAL 2013 Mothers Day/A-Basin Trip Report

 

Glad you got to experience the Land of the Giants.  Some really fun stuff in there. 

 

Did you eat the Brisket for lunch at Blackmountain Lodge?  

post #107 of 116
Thread Starter 

yup had the briskey at the black mountain lodge.  I'm often not a fan of brisket, but this was delicious. 

post #108 of 116

@ucunc156 I'm curious as to your experience of ABasin. I wouldn't think it would have enough trail selection if you are going to eliminate Pali. Since you started out with that in mind, you found enough blue/black cruisers to be enough? I suppose for a day it's fine, but more than that I would think maybe one tires of the same trails? Montezuma bowl doesn't add all that much esp if one doesn't do steepish trees.

Would you have done another day at ABasin given time?

post #109 of 116
Thread Starter 

@Tog Yeah that's definitely a good point.  There were still a lot of runs we never got to do and it was our shortest day due to the fact that we had to catch a flight in the evening.  I could probably do another day at A Basin, though 3 might have been too long.  Though I am sure that if by day 3 I was accomplishing all the blacks I would probably have given Pali a try. 

post #110 of 116
Glad to hear you enjoyed ABasin. Probably one of my favorite places . . . ever. I'll be interested to hear your answers to @tog's questions.
post #111 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tog View Post
 

@ucunc156 I'm curious as to your experience of ABasin. I wouldn't think it would have enough trail selection if you are going to eliminate Pali. Since you started out with that in mind, you found enough blue/black cruisers to be enough? I suppose for a day it's fine, but more than that I would think maybe one tires of the same trails? Montezuma bowl doesn't add all that much esp if one doesn't do steepish trees.

Would you have done another day at ABasin given time?

 

I think Loveland and A-bay ski much larger than their acreage stat implies because of everything above timberline. Most marked lines are about 3x as wide as a typical run cut out of trees.

 

When I used to get season passes to Abay, I never got bored, even in pre-Zuma years and the years I was recovering from a knee injury and couldn't ski Pali to save my life.

post #112 of 116
Thread Starter 

I thought Loveland was huge.  I was constantly lost lol. 

post #113 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucunc156 View Post

I thought Loveland was huge.  I was constantly lost lol. 

Yes, but what about ABasin??
post #114 of 116
Thread Starter 

I didn't think A Basin was nearly as big.  Or at least, it was easy for me to navigate since it only has a few lifts.  At Loveland I would head towards what I thought was a run, end up on some other run, and ski down to some random lift. 

 

A Basin would have probably taken 2 days for me to do everything I thought I was capable of doing.  In loveland, I had no idea if I was doing everything I could have done. 

post #115 of 116

unc sounds like a great trip! i love those "little" mountains.

as an east coaster who moved out to denver, i find the above tree-line apect of loveland and abasin so unique and challenging that i never really get bored. at abasin i can do pali lift, down west wall with various routes to lower mountain via exhibition or something else, and  back to pali for half a day. and when the weather is nice and the ridge is open at loveland it's like hiking, i can explore all day within 50 yards each way from chair 9.  move over 10 feet and you have a different line and challenge.  just awesome terrain to have so close.

post #116 of 116
Thread Starter 

I really wanted to try the ridge cat but I didn't think I would be good enough, plus I skiied the day after the fresh 7 inches of snow and at times my skis struggled to float above.  I got lost in the snow twice in the area around lift 4. 

 

As for A-Basin, my favorite run connection was powder keg/north chute/slalom slope to scudder/challenger/radical to exhibition/international. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Resorts, Conditions & Travel