or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sia 2014 report

post #1 of 28
Thread Starter 
We started the morning getting an overview of the show before our appointments started around lunch time. Pics will be uploaded as soon as we can get them off of he the camera. Early impressions so far...

*Clothing colors while are traditional Crayola 12 pack are a bit more muted and solids are still in but more accents from zippers and pockets
Patagonia's Untracked for men
Scott's new insulated collection
FlyLow for the ladies
Helly Hansen continues with the innovative H2Flow
Atomic's Ladies collection


*K2 has revamped their whole women's collection, The Super models have been replaced by the Potion collection and solid contenders in the 90mm and 98mm categories.

* Heads woman collection is also totally revamped with shapes, constructions and designs, Joy to the world.
More to come...
Edited by Philpug - 1/31/14 at 6:05am
post #2 of 28

Please say hi for me to my buddy, Evil Elf while you're there. He has a booth this year. I'm sure there will be ample 'sampling' of the Shotz Ski collection. He took some demos and, I assume, something to demo them with. :D

post #3 of 28
Thread Starter 

The Eavil Elf was indeed present. Had a great time chatting with him.

 

 

 

 

Day 1 was full of some interesting discoveries....

 

 

*Salomon is bringing a new Sth2/Guardian variation to the market with the new Warden binding, just with a turn of a screw, the binding will adjust from a DIN to Tech sole boot. There will also be an Atomic labeled version in a different color. 

 

 

 

 

* Atomic's clothing collection is very nice, read my review here. Atomic also expands the Automatic collection down to 102mm and a low price point of $499

 

 

 

*Scott's The Ski will be adding a 180 in a red a la TRS, The Racing Ski. The Black Magik name returns in a narrower ski. 

 

 

 

 

*Dynastar brings the 5 point shape of the Chams to the new frontside all mountain Powertracks's collection...


Edited by Philpug - 1/31/14 at 6:19am
post #4 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philpug View Post

We started the morning getting an overview of the show before our appointments started around lunch time. Pics will be uploaded as soon as we can get them off of he the camera. Early impressions so far...

*Clothing colors while are traditional Crayola 12 pack are a bit more muted and solids are still in but more accents from zippers and pockets

*K2 has revamped their whole women's collection, The Super models have been replaced by the Potion collection and solid contenders in the 90mm and 98mm categories.

* Heads woman collection is also totally revamped with shapes, constructions and designs, Joy to the world.

More to come...

 

While I really like my K2 Superfree's, how the heck did they NOT know that the Superglide, Supersmooth, Superburnin' and the rest weren't going to fodder for jokes?

post #5 of 28
Thread Starter 

Pictures are uploaded. Here are some more....

 

Head's Supershape series return with few graphics...

 

Transpack is introducing a new Heated Bootbag for 2015 that will be under $200.00

 

Poc goggles will be featuring Cal Zeiss lenses..

 

More to come from Day 2 later today. Stay tuned. 

post #6 of 28

curious to hear your first impressions on the Line Supernatural 100 (100 is the new 98mm like you said) :-) How does it goes agains Bone, NRGy and the old Prophet. I see it has a small tail rocker with a touch of twin

post #7 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philpug View Post

 

 

*Scott's The Ski will be adding a 180 in a red a la TRS, The Racing Ski. The Black Magik name returns in a narrower ski. 

 

 

Much improved colors!  Do the red ones have the same characteristics as the others? Do the the black narrow ones say Black Magik on them, or is that black majic? :)

post #8 of 28

Are those R1 knickers in the first picture?  (far left)  If so, brilliant.

post #9 of 28

Here are a collection of photos from the show through my lens, sorry it's a link:

 

http://www.skiershop.com/raisethebar/

 

when I have time to take a full breath I'll post more intel and opinions, on snow demo reports to follow as well.

post #10 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiteroom View Post
 

Here are a collection of photos from the show through my lens, sorry it's a link:

 

http://www.skiershop.com/raisethebar/

 

when I have time to take a full breath I'll post more intel and opinions, on snow demo reports to follow as well.

junior cochise?

post #11 of 28
Thread Starter 

Blizzard's woman's Freefide colllection

 

Blizzard's Men's Freeride Collection including the Cochise NXT (Junior) 

 

Nordica's new Frontside Progressive Collection

 

Kastle's expanded MX series including the returning MX70 and MX98

 

 

 

 

post #12 of 28

Is Kastle still laying up the MX series with full camber for all widths?

 

Also, what are the specs for the narrowest of the fipcore series; the Cheyenne and the tan coloured men's ski (can't make out the name)?

 

Thanks

post #13 of 28

MX series all have full camber.

post #14 of 28
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinbad7 View Post
 

Is Kastle still laying up the MX series with full camber for all widths?

 

Also, what are the specs for the narrowest of the fipcore series; the Cheyenne and the tan coloured men's ski (can't make out the name)?

 

Thanks

The men's ski is the Latigo. 

 

Dimensions are 115-78-102. The men's version has metal and flexes like the Brahma, the Cheyenne feels like a narrow Black Pearl, as it should. 

post #15 of 28
Hmmmmm. From cowboys to Indians for Blizzard it seems.
post #16 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiteroom View Post
 

Here are a collection of photos from the show through my lens, sorry it's a link:

 

http://www.skiershop.com/raisethebar/

 

when I have time to take a full breath I'll post more intel and opinions, on snow demo reports to follow as well.

I'm feeling sort of the same way. 

 

A few highlights.....

Women are getting a PowSlayer kit from Patagonia - Looks sharp

 

Glen Plake gave a very nice talk about the importance of Feeder Hills. 

Philpug bumped into Jackson Hogan, who seems to be having a bit of fun checking out the show.

Bumped into Whiteroom at the Head booth where we were trying to win a pair of skis. .......we did not win. 

post #17 of 28

Thanks for the images. The pantheon of new skis all shiny and svelt remind me of that Louis Armstrong chestnut, "Sweethearts On Parade,"

 

Oh two by two
They go marching through
Oh sweethearts on parade

And how i cried
As they passed me by
Those sweethearts on parade

I'd love to join them but
Well they won't even look
Cause it takes more than one to join the army of love

So how i pine
Just to fall in line
With those sweethearts on parade


To the extent that the images represent the current graphic sensibility, to my eye, it is a welcome development. A decided absence of "clown barf" top sheets as one of our fellow members so colorfully put it in another thread. I know it is purely a matter of taste, but one barfed on ski looks just like any other to me. But there is no mistaking the spare elegance of a DPS topsheet, or the Bauhaus sensibility of the Rossignol Soul and siblings, or the restrained and angular Kastle motiff. The Stockli line, all highly machined and metallic look like Teutonic weapons. Even Blizzard seems to have found its visual footing, recognizing that, as usual, less is more. And Phil's sentimental favorite - the Mondrian-like The Ski.These are all skis that I am attracted to, not repelled from by suppressed queasiness. 

Now if I could only find a way to join in their fun here in the snow-deprived NE.

D1

post #18 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by deliberate1 View Post
 

Thanks for the images. The pantheon of new skis all shiny and svelt remind me of that Louis Armstrong chestnut, "Sweethearts On Parade,"

 

 

Did you ever hear the recording of that he did with the original Dukes of Dixieland?  That's a great album.

post #19 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtcyclist View Post
 

 

Did you ever hear the recording of that he did with the original Dukes of Dixieland?  That's a great album.

This one, perhaps? Good call.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANoEe1S6-5s

Louis is flawless, as usual. But the other guy singing....meh.

Great clarinet work (I am a jazz clarinetist/tenorman).

D1

post #20 of 28

Any hint of a little more chest/hip space in a man's jacket(eg Untracked) from Patagucci Phil?

post #21 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philpug View Post
 

 

*Dynastar brings the 5 point shape of the Chams to the new frontside all mountain Powertracks's collection...

 

Graphics are almost cross branding with Rossi. 

post #22 of 28

A small peak at some of next seasons clothing color trends, again, sorry for the link... but, i'm freekin' busy! 

 

http://www.skiershop.com/raisethebar/uncategorized/sia-denver-what-does-next-seasons-clothing-look-like/

post #23 of 28

What is the model for the ski in the Nordica Front Side Picture on the Far Right?  The one with the Red trim.

post #24 of 28
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kano View Post
 

What is the model for the ski in the Nordica Front Side Picture on the Far Right?  The one with the Red trim.

That is the FireArrow 84 EDT, it had a lot of green this year. Awesome frontside charger

post #25 of 28

I know not many on this forum will care, but I'm consoling myself regarding the loss of the venerable Scott Crusade.  That ski was a staple in my quiver for years and now there's nothing like it in the Scott line-up for 2015.  I'm going to be looking very hard at the new DPS Cassiar 95 as a replacement.  Marshal had a lot of good things to say about that ski, but I'll chime in more after demos.

post #26 of 28
Phil- Any news from the Fischer stand? I'm wondering if they found their footing with the vacuum boots?
post #27 of 28

Thanks for all the photos Phil. I love when engineers and designers sit together at lunch. Beautiful products!

post #28 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaveSkisWillClimb View Post

Any hint of a little more chest/hip space in a man's jacket(eg Untracked) from Patagucci Phil?

Everything in their 'regular' fit generally runs very large. That said, Patagonia fit is like describing the unicorn you saw standing by the road on the way home from the Super Bowl party last night.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion