or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Her light came on!

post #1 of 16
Thread Starter 
I'm so proud of my wife! She confidently made the step from wedge turns and no confidence, to confidently...maybe slowly at times...skiing her first blue runs and having a blast Sunday. Her quote was"I feel like a total dork for being scared of these runs. They're fun and I actually get to see the mountain now!" I think she has seen enough terrain now to not be freaked out about the pitch of the hill. Now steeper is funner, not a crashing fiery death...lol. She has came a long way from someone who was afraid of riding on chairlifts this summer, and basically no skills what so ever. It's taken 18 days on skis this year, but the light finally turned on and I couldn't be prouder. On the other hand I have my six year old beating me up to let him ski blacks with me! I know where I need help to continue making steps forward and I'm in need of a bump clinic. I'll fly down black groomers with plenty of flair and speed but moguls have taken my confidence and I want it back. Time for a lesson! Here's a few pics from copper sunday, the wife finally on top of the excelerator lift and the kids response when I told him no we're not skiing Brendan's Grin (black bumps)with mom in tow.

post #2 of 16

Nice!  My wife is still in the terrified stage. :)

~S

post #3 of 16
Thread Starter 
Keep putting her in the saddle, eventually she'll ride. It's taken her a half-dozen lessons or so and 18 days on the hill to finally get her here. But tgeres nothing better tgan getting the whole family skiing together with everyone having fun.
post #4 of 16

Hey, that's great!  My wife is riding that knife-edge between scared and having fun (but, to be fair, she tore her ACL years ago while skiing and then again 3 months ago).  When she stops thinking about how scared she should be, the fun creeps in and turns suddenly come together.  She had a little laugh at your wifes quote and I keep showing her success stories so she can see that it IS possible.

 

Enjoy skiing the blues with you wife.  And remember, the most dangerous words heard on the hill are "Follow me dad!"  :D

post #5 of 16
Thread Starter 
I heard that. Somehow I wound up in a mini pipe and a terrain park at some point in time that day as well
post #6 of 16

She's been on about 4 lessons now.  Next time she's going to have a couple beers prior to the lesson to loosen up.  I think two instructors have told her to do that now.  Got a Mammoth trip in the next month so I'm crossing my fingers that she'll at least get beyond the terrified stage.

post #7 of 16
Thread Starter 
It really just boils down to looking a pitches and getting comfortable. I was lucky, in my case I had a six year old on a snowboard prodding her along as well. There was a real fear of being left behind if she didn't progress at a reasonable pace. There have been fits, tears, and several instances of I'm never talking to you again, but she got here and is having fun now.
post #8 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by soporific View Post
 

She's been on about 4 lessons now.  Next time she's going to have a couple beers prior to the lesson to loosen up.  I think two instructors have told her to do that now.  Got a Mammoth trip in the next month so I'm crossing my fingers that she'll at least get beyond the terrified stage.

 

Maybe a lesson with a female instructor would be helpful.  I work with a lot of women who are scared and have found that there are lots of things to help them get through the terrified stage.  Mostly lots of miles on mellow terrain, staying close enough to them so they can follow my line and lots of verbal encouragement.   The fact is that physical skills may not match mental comfort and taking her to terrain outside of her comfort zone is a recipe for disaster.

post #9 of 16

She's had a female instructor once and she preferred her to the males as they seemed to push harder or faster.  And we are sort of doing this on the cheap by taking a group lesson but almost invariably nobody else shows up, so it in effect is a private lesson but we don't get to choose who gives it.

 

Also, I made it a point of not teaching her anything or hanging around and prodding her, because someone tried that with me and it was a total failure.  So I'm just hoping that if she just keeps with it something will click.  I guess if it doesn't then it doesn't.

 

~S

post #10 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by soporific View Post
 

She's had a female instructor once and she preferred her to the males as they seemed to push harder or faster.  And we are sort of doing this on the cheap by taking a group lesson but almost invariably nobody else shows up, so it in effect is a private lesson but we don't get to choose who gives it.

 

Also, I made it a point of not teaching her anything or hanging around and prodding her, because someone tried that with me and it was a total failure.  So I'm just hoping that if she just keeps with it something will click.  I guess if it doesn't then it doesn't.

 

~S


 I understand. Sometimes if you talk to the supervisor at the group lessons and explain, they may accommodate your request if they can. It is worth a shot.

post #11 of 16

Thanks, I think we will give that a try.  Might try and get her some boots that aren't rentals as well.


~S

post #12 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by soporific View Post
 

Nice!  My wife is still in the terrified stage. :)

~S

mine too.

 

I was hoping this was the year I could get her past that with lots of days on the slopes but that didn't happen.  She is hitting the slopes for the first time on Thursday and is talking of just staying on the bunny hill.

 

ugh.  we have trip out west coming up and I don't think she will be ready :(  

post #13 of 16
Thread Starter 
Yall are making me feel like I got pretty lucky
post #14 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Robertson View Post

Yall are making me feel like I got pretty lucky

I think you did. So did I, my wife had a very similar progression. The 6-year-old wanting to venture into the harder terrain was the motivating factor here, too. Once she got in lessons, it was slow but steady progression.

But it could be worse. I will never forget the couple we met in the hotel breakfast room out west a few years ago. Husband was an avid skier, the wife was skiing for the first time ever, starting lessons that morning. The next time we saw one of them was the wife abandoning her lesson to walk down the hill.
post #15 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobQC View Post


 The next time we saw one of them was the wife abandoning her lesson to walk down the hill.

 

My wife did that last week, but she was having major cramps so I understood it wasn't a great time to learn.  She's still game to try again though, so I'm all for it.


~S

post #16 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by soporific View Post

My wife did that last week, but she was having major cramps so I understood it wasn't a great time to learn.  She's still game to try again though, so I'm all for it.


~S

I don't think this woman put her boots back on again, for the whole trip. If your wife is game to keep trying, it will eventually happen.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Skiing Discussion