or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Hello from Michigan

post #1 of 21
Thread Starter 

Hi, I just found this forum and am trying to find my way around here. I am just getting back into skiing after about 15yrs or so.

 

I live in the northern part of the lower peninsula and expect to be skiing about 5-10 times per month.

 

This seems like a great forum and a wealth of info.

 

David

post #2 of 21

Welcome, from Michigan!

 

Glad you found the forum, there truly is a wealth of info here.

 

After a fourteen year break, I started skiing just about the time you quit.  It took me quite a few years to find epicski so from my perspective you're way ahead of the game.  Enjoy!

post #3 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by dthogey View Post
 

Hi, I just found this forum and am trying to find my way around here. I am just getting back into skiing after about 15yrs or so.

 

I live in the northern part of the lower peninsula and expect to be skiing about 5-10 times per month.

 

This seems like a great forum and a wealth of info.

 

David

Welcome to Epicski!  I suggest you check out the Beginner Zone.  Many of the threads are useful for intermediates or anything getting back on the slopes after a hiatus.

 

Also check out the Epicski articles under Articles on the menu bar.

post #4 of 21
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by marznc View Post
 

Welcome to Epicski!  I suggest you check out the Beginner Zone.  Many of the threads are useful for intermediates or anything getting back on the slopes after a hiatus.

 

Also check out the Epicski articles under Articles on the menu bar.


Thanks, I will do that, I definitely ski the old school way and need to learn the basics of skiing on the new skis.

 

We own a timeshare at Massanutten.

post #5 of 21

Glad to see another Michigan member. It's a great place to waste time when you are waiting for the weather to change, which is generally every 15 minutes in Michigan, isn't it?

post #6 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by dthogey View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by marznc View Post
 

Welcome to Epicski!  I suggest you check out the Beginner Zone.  Many of the threads are useful for intermediates or anything getting back on the slopes after a hiatus.

 

Also check out the Epicski articles under Articles on the menu bar.


Thanks, I will do that, I definitely ski the old school way and need to learn the basics of skiing on the new skis.

 

We own a timeshare at Massanutten.

Have you seen the EpicSki guide for Massanutten?  They have a very good ski school.  If you are old enough, the Silver Clinic on Sunday afternoons is a great deal.  Otherwise, consider a private or even the 90-min clinic in the late afternoon, which can end up a private.  Mnut has a lot more experienced instructors then you might think.  Quite a few Level 2 and Level 3 instructors are around for lineup.

post #7 of 21
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by marznc View Post
 

Have you seen the EpicSki guide for Massanutten?  They have a very good ski school.  If you are old enough, the Silver Clinic on Sunday afternoons is a great deal.  Otherwise, consider a private or even the 90-min clinic in the late afternoon, which can end up a private.  Mnut has a lot more experienced instructors then you might think.  Quite a few Level 2 and Level 3 instructors are around for lineup.


No, being from Northern MI I have never considered Mnut for skiing, we have been there several times in the summer. It takes 13-14hrs to get there if I remember right.

post #8 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by dthogey View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by marznc View Post
 

Have you seen the EpicSki guide for Massanutten?  They have a very good ski school.  If you are old enough, the Silver Clinic on Sunday afternoons is a great deal.  Otherwise, consider a private or even the 90-min clinic in the late afternoon, which can end up a private.  Mnut has a lot more experienced instructors then you might think.  Quite a few Level 2 and Level 3 instructors are around for lineup.


No, being from Northern MI I have never considered Mnut for skiing, we have been there several times in the summer. It takes 13-14hrs to get there if I remember right.

That's understandable.  I thought perhaps you had other reasons to go to northern VA.  I don't run into many people who know about Massanutten.  For me, it's a 4-hour drive from NC but there are many advantages over places in NC/VA/WV for weekend ski trips with kids.

post #9 of 21

Welcome.  I'm another Michigander here (SE MI). Similar to you, I'm just getting back into skiing after about a 10 year break.  We're spending quite a bit of time at Nubs and Boyne Highlands this winter.

post #10 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by dthogey View Post
 

Hi, I just found this forum and am trying to find my way around here. I am just getting back into skiing after about 15yrs or so.

 

I live in the northern part of the lower peninsula and expect to be skiing about 5-10 times per month.

 

From Kalkaska, you're within striking distance of Shanty Creek, both Boynes, Nubs, Crystal & Caberfae.

 

Which one(s) do you ski at?

post #11 of 21
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt View Post
 

 

From Kalkaska, you're within striking distance of Shanty Creek, both Boynes, Nubs, Crystal & Caberfae.

 

Which one(s) do you ski at?


I've skied mostly at Schuss, I've been to Boyne Mountain once and I think I'm headed up to Nub's tomorrow.

post #12 of 21

Welcome. Lived in Michigan for a time. Boyne was my fav there, but ways away from where I was. Real issue is what colors do you go for, green and white or blue and maize?

post #13 of 21
Maize and blue.....
post #14 of 21

^^^^^^ A discerning individual, obviously :D

post #15 of 21
Welcome from another Michigander. I too am coming back from a hiatus. Mine was 20 years and started back up last year. Grew up in Cadillac and now live north of Grand Rapids, about 90 seconds from Cannonsburg. Not the best, but great for my young family learning to ski (6 year old and twin 4 year olds). I am still learning the new skies.
post #16 of 21

Seems like there are a few Michigan folks on here.  If anyone is ever headed to the Highlands or Nubs on a Sunday, let me know.  Unless my wife has something scheduled, I'm always up for a road trip. Was hoping to head up there this Sunday, but it seems she committed us to 2 Super Bowl parties.

post #17 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmr40 View Post
 

Seems like there are a few Michigan folks on here.  If anyone is ever headed to the Highlands or Nubs on a Sunday, let me know.  Unless my wife has something scheduled, I'm always up for a road trip. Was hoping to head up there this Sunday, but it seems she committed us to 2 Super Bowl parties.


Nice thing about being from Michigan: You never have to take a day off skiing to watch the Lions in the Super Bowl.

(No offence intended. It's an insider joke. I've been a Lions fan since the days of Joe Schmidt, Wayne Walker, Roger Brown and Alex Karras. A lifetime of disappointment.)

post #18 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by slipshod View Post
 


Nice thing about being from Michigan: You never have to take a day off skiing to watch the Lions in the Super Bowl.

(No offence intended. It's an insider joke. I've been a Lions fan since the days of Joe Schmidt, Wayne Walker, Roger Brown and Alex Karras. A lifetime of disappointment.)

No offense taken. It's the Lions that are offensive.

post #19 of 21
Thread Starter 

It takes a lot of dedication to be a Lions fan!!!

 

 

Someone should start a Michigan group on this site!!!

 

David

post #20 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by dthogey View Post


Someone should start a Michigan group on this site!!!

 

 

 

Done.

 

http://www.epicski.com/groups/show/41/yoopers-trolls

post #21 of 21
Thread Starter 

Wow, that was fast!! I just joined!!

 

Thanks

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Skiing Discussion