or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Aspen ski trip - Page 2

post #31 of 52

If you are level 6/7 skiers you will be better served by taking your lesson at Snowmass.  It has a greater abundance of terrain.  That variety of terrain will give your instructor more options to help you progress.

 

If you are worried that there aren't the steeps at Snowmass that there are at Highlands, let me assure you that there is terrain at Snowmass that is every bit, if not more, steep than that at Highlands.  It's just that Highlands doesn't have the variety of intermediate and low expert terrain that may be useful to help you progress.  Not only that, but Snowmass is a much larger mountain and an instructor can help you to see and explore more of the terrain.

 

As for an instructor, I'd highly recommend Mark Bagby.  He's been my coach for the past several years and is a recent stellar addition to the ski school at Snowmass.

 

Mike

post #32 of 52
Thread Starter 
Guess I should of been more concerned with getting to aspen than worrying if they would get snow. Suppose to arrive is aspen at 1006 am but with the storm coming in I don't know if that will happen. If we get diverted to Denver hopefully we can make it to aspen and no roads are closed. Vacation shouldn't be this stressful.
post #33 of 52

Landing in Aspen Thursday 1006am?  Yikes.  Any way you can move your flight up?  If so, do it now before everybody else does!

 

Landing in Denver Thursday should be no problem.  Getting to Aspen will be a rough drive, but most likely the roads will be open.   Just guessing, of course, but later Thurs night and Friday is when road closures are more likely if the storm is as big as they are predicting.

post #34 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by givethepigeye View Post

From OpenSnow:CO forecast

Long Range:

Things get more interesting on or just after next Wednesday, 1/29. Most of the models agree that the ridge of high pressure over the west coast will move away, and this will open the door to storms moving toward Colorado from the Pacific Ocean. I have no confidence in the details of later next week through Super Bowl weekend, but chances are good that snow will be in the forecast for at least some of those days.

Think it should be fine.

Yup - there is also Colorado Mountain Express. They move people from ASE to DEN when the field shuts down -assume they do the reverse. Just another option
post #35 of 52
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tball View Post

Landing in Aspen Thursday 1006am?  Yikes.  Any way you can move your flight up?  If so, do it now before everybody else does!

Landing in Denver Thursday should be no problem.  Getting to Aspen will be a rough drive, but most likely the roads will be open.   Just guessing, of course, but later Thurs night and Friday is when road closures are more likely if the storm is as big as they are predicting.

I have been on the phone all day trying to get a flight for Wednesday and they won't do it because A. The flight is still on time as of now and. B. even if they waived the fees when I bought the ticket it was 400 and now it is 1000. They waive the change fee but you have to pay to diff which isn't happening. We had planned to ski half a day Thursday too and it looks like the day will be wasted. As long as we are able to ski Friday I guess it's ok.
post #36 of 52

Bummer.  You got a 4x4 or CME spot reserved just in case that you can cancel?  Don't worry, you'll get there to ski Friday. 

 

@SHREDHEAD do you have any suggestions?  Bet you've been through this before. 

post #37 of 52
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tball View Post

Bummer.  You got a 4x4 or CME spot reserved just in case that you can cancel?  Don't worry, you'll get there to ski Friday. 

@SHREDHEAD
 do you have any suggestions?  Bet you've been through this before. 

I called and got a quote for the mountain shuttle but didn't want to book it in case it didn't come to that or we went to different airport. United should cover that cost I would hope. And refund me for the premium unpaid to fly to aspen.
post #38 of 52
On Shredhead's advice for my trip a few weeks ago, I reserved a car at Denver, just in case the connection to ASE was cancelled. Wasn't necessary, but was no money down and no cancellation fee, so was prudent insurance. I reserved a very cheap AWD SUV through the Costco travel website.
post #39 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn15p View Post
 

Looking at the forcast has me pretty worried, as temps are mid to upper 30's and no snow in sight for the next nearly 2 weeks.  Is this a valid concern or am I getting all worked up over nothing.  Obvioulsy if it stays this dry it wont be a huge powder day, but I am hoping it wont be like the ICE coast either.

 

 

Feast or famine, eh?  Hopefully you can make it in okay and enjoy some awesome snow.  :ski

post #40 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn15p View Post

Guess I should of been more concerned with getting to aspen than worrying if they would get snow. Suppose to arrive is aspen at 1006 am but with the storm coming in I don't know if that will happen. If we get diverted to Denver hopefully we can make it to aspen and no roads are closed. Vacation shouldn't be this stressful.

Are you on the 8:13 direct out of ORD? I wouldn't write it off just yet. Sometimes they divert to Rifle and provide transportation to Aspen. Sometime Denver, but then transportation issue is much greater since there will likely be many flights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADKS View Post

On Shredhead's advice for my trip a few weeks ago, I reserved a car at Denver, just in case the connection to ASE was cancelled. Wasn't necessary, but was no money down and no cancellation fee, so was prudent insurance. I reserved a very cheap AWD SUV through the Costco travel website.

My standard SOP is always have a one way rental reserved in DEN. Carry on/gate check everything you absolutely have to have to ski or survive. Don't even try to get our checked luggage. Just jump in the car and drive to Aspen. They truck up all the luggage later and will eventually deliver it to your hotel. But it's much quicker to go to the airport early the next morning and look thru the stacks of luggage.
post #41 of 52

Dont' worry, it'll be fine. They will keep conditions good. 

post #42 of 52
I live here in Aspen. they are forecasting a large intense storm starting tonight and going through tomorrow into Friday. Reserve a rental 4x4 like Shredhead mentioned. If the weather comes, you prob wont get into ASE. the road could close but it's unlikely. if it did you could at least ski a front range resort till the road opens. good luck. the skiing is great and with your ability you will have plenty of terrain to make this a great trip. good luck and enjoy
post #43 of 52

Well, @shawn15p you there yet?   Hope you made it, or you are close.  The skiing will be worth it tomorrow. 

post #44 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by tball View Post
 

Well, @shawn15p you there yet?   Hope you made it, or you are close.  The skiing will be worth it tomorrow. 

 

 

The skiing was INCREDIBLE today:yahoo:

post #45 of 52

and Shawn was worried about snow!!!!!    Aspen/Snowmass got puked on yesterday and last night...20-24".  Hope he made it in!  Got powder?

post #46 of 52
Thread Starter 
Called united on Wednesday and told them it was my wife and I 5 year anniversary. After the first person I talked to said it would be $1000 a person to fly out a day early to beat the storm I talked to the nicest supervisor possible who after 20 mins booked us on the 3:30 flight out of Pittsburgh and all he said was Happy Anniversary!!! Got into Aspen at 8pm on Wednesday. Did a little storm skiing yesterday and got dumped on the entire time. Never experienced anything like it. On the bus to snowmass as we speak for what should be an epic day. The plane I was suppose to be on got diverted to grand junction and I think they were stuck there for a long time.
post #47 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn15p View Post

Called united on Wednesday and told them it was my wife and I 5 year anniversary. After the first person I talked to said it would be $1000 a person to fly out a day early to beat the storm I talked to the nicest supervisor possible who after 20 mins booked us on the 3:30 flight out of Pittsburgh and all he said was Happy Anniversary!!! Got into Aspen at 8pm on Wednesday. Did a little storm skiing yesterday and got dumped on the entire time. Never experienced anything like it. On the bus to snowmass as we speak for what should be an epic day. The plane I was suppose to be on got diverted to grand junction and I think they were stuck there for a long time.

You gotta love it when a plan works out in your favor!  Enjoy Snowmass, take the short hike to LongShot.  Should be loaded up today!

post #48 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn15p View Post

Called united on Wednesday and told them it was my wife and I 5 year anniversary. After the first person I talked to said it would be $1000 a person to fly out a day early to beat the storm I talked to the nicest supervisor possible who after 20 mins booked us on the 3:30 flight out of Pittsburgh and all he said was Happy Anniversary!!! Got into Aspen at 8pm on Wednesday. Did a little storm skiing yesterday and got dumped on the entire time. Never experienced anything like it. On the bus to snowmass as we speak for what should be an epic day. The plane I was suppose to be on got diverted to grand junction and I think they were stuck there for a long time.

 

Well played. I don't know if Aspen was one of those that beat the 24 hour snowfall record during your stay, but if not, it was close. Bagging that kind of storm on a pre-planned trip is an amazing score, especially at a place like Aspen where the terrain is amazing, but the snowfall tends to be a little on the lean side.

 

 

You sir, got what everybody wants- to be able to travel to a place like Aspen, Crested Butte, and Taos, places with amazing terrain but lower snowfall totals, yet still catch them during a giant storm.

 

Most of us can't afford to book a last minute trip to storm chase, and almost nobody gets lucky enough to randomly catch a huge storm like that.

 

I hope you had the time of your life.

post #49 of 52

12"+ on 3/7, hiked Highland Bowl for the first time Saturday.  Great fun but I was dead after the hike / run and went directly to Cloud 9 Bar after.

post #50 of 52
Awesome! Looks like a beautiful day. How was Cloud 9? I was invited for Saturday afternoon lunch there and it was pretty insane.
post #51 of 52

Cloud 9 was fun, but can be $$$ if you start with the champagne and seafood towers.  Pretty crazy crowd for a mid mountain bar at 2:00.  Wish I knew about that place before I was married.

post #52 of 52
Fortunately, I wasn't paying!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Skiing Discussion