or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Dalbello ski boot Q - performance boot softer than 130
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Dalbello ski boot Q - performance boot softer than 130

post #1 of 10
Thread Starter 

I'm looking for a 90-110 flex boot for my growing 16y/68kg son. My Scorpion 130's are too stiff for him but they provide a perfect fit. I was thinking of getting him a pair of 110s. Would they be softer? Would they provide the same fit? Or should I look at some other model? His old boots are Atomic Hawx 90 and they have been great. The new Hawx 110 is IMO a bit overpriced at over 400USD.

post #2 of 10

The Scorpion 110 should be softer than the 130, but whether it would be soft enough for him is anyone's guess.  Logic says it should fit the same, but only trying them on will tell you for sure.  Unless you specifically want him to have a 4-buckle boot, you might want to consider the Kr Rampage ID, 100 flex and an Intuition liner.

post #3 of 10
Thread Starter 

Thanks for the input. Does the Kr Rampage ID come with the Intuition liner as standard? What about the Kr2 Pro or the Striker 110 or the Viper 110? Are they close to the Scorpion last?

post #4 of 10

Scorpion 110 is same last as 130. If you want to go with a cabrio design, the K Rampage doesn't have the same last as the Scorpion, but the K Core does, which is also a 110. IMO the cabrio's all flex a bit softer than the two pieces, so the Core will be a touch softer than the Scorpion 110. Also keep in mind that they all come with, or you can buy, different tongues to change the flex. And an ID tends to add about 5 points of stiffness IME. 

 

And if your son is that size, he'd be fine with a 110 flex. My 11 year old has a 90.  

post #5 of 10

Dalbello's "ID" designation means that the boot comes with an Intuition liner.  Some of their boots can be purchased both ways.  Check out their website for full information.

post #6 of 10
Thread Starter 

Thanks for the info. We went down to the local shop yesterday and tried a bunch of Dalbello boots. It was a bit of a disappointment since non of the boots fit awesomely well. With every boot there was some kind of issue. They did not have the Scorpion 110 which I had hoped for. Back home we ended up trying a bunch of different liners in the old Hawx and a combination of Scorpion race linear and rigid foot beds turned out to be the perfect combination. Saved me 400USD :).

 

BTW, I'm not going to rant on the new cabrio designs of Dalbello or any other manufacturer but the ones I tried doesn't have that snappy fit regular boots have. They don't lock your foot in place from shape alone. They kind of compress your foot into a locked position when buckled up. Kind of different. Also, the way the linear interacts with all its components seemed to be prone to bad design. Too bad they did not have the Lupo in my size. That would have been a more fair comparison to the Scorpions.

post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdk6 View Post

I'm looking for a 90-110 flex boot for my growing 16y/68kg son. My Scorpion 130's are too stiff for him but they provide a perfect fit. I was thinking of getting him a pair of 110s. Would they be softer? Would they provide the same fit? Or should I look at some other model? His old boots are Atomic Hawx 90 and they have been great. The new Hawx 110 is IMO a bit overpriced at over 400USD.

Man o man... The dalbello strike 110 is a nice boot and can be softened if needed, but fits NOTHING like an Atomic Hawx series of boots. To make matters worse, the Hawx boots are very soft for their given flex ratings.
post #8 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by markojp View Post


Man o man... The dalbello strike 110 is a nice boot and can be softened if needed, but fits NOTHING like an Atomic Hawx series of boots. To make matters worse, the Hawx boots are very soft for their given flex ratings.

 

Sorry, are you saying that the Hawx is a much better boot?

post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdk6 View Post

Sorry, are you saying that the Hawx is a much better boot?

No, just very different volumes. The strike 110 is a fairly narrow lasted lower volume boot, the Hawx has much more volume, a thicker liner, and is softer flexing even if they share the same 110 flex rating. Having seen vids of your skiing, if you have a narrower foot, I'd think the dalbello would be your boot as it will ski more precisely, but without seeing your foot, I wouldn't know if either boot would be the right one.
post #10 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by markojp View Post


No, just very different volumes. The strike 110 is a fairly narrow lasted lower volume boot, the Hawx has much more volume, a thicker liner, and is softer flexing even if they share the same 110 flex rating. Having seen vids of your skiing, if you have a narrower foot, I'd think the dalbello would be your boot as it will ski more precisely, but without seeing your foot, I wouldn't know if either boot would be the right one.

 

Thanks for the info. The boots were for my 16y/68kg son, not me. I was just trying them on as a reference. His previous boots were the Hawx90. I'm skiing with my Dalbello Scorpion 130 or Atomic Redster 150. But thanks for the info. You are dead right. My sons foot is quite wide so the Strike110 did not fit as well as the Hawx110. But it turned out his old slightly punched Hawx90, one size smaller than the Strike and the Hawx110 in the shop, fitted great with a Scorpion130 liner. The liner was the original liner from my Scorpion130s, way too small for me in the Scorpion130 shell. I'm now skiing with a Head foam liner or using the Redster150 liner. Both the Dalbello and the Atomic have a much wider instep and a much thicker tongue. The Head foam liner tongue is not thick enough so I have to pad it with a pc of foam. The Hawx90 liner is not very well made. The Hawx110 liner is different. And yes, the Strike is stiffer than the Hawx for sure. The plastic is much harder. And lighter..... hmmmm.... don't know how that works. The Hawx felt like it was a much more expensive and high quality boot. Don't know if that is true. Price difference is huge.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Dalbello ski boot Q - performance boot softer than 130