or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › General Skiing Discussion › Lesson in Jackson Hole worth it?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Lesson in Jackson Hole worth it?

post #1 of 20
Thread Starter 
I'm going to Jackson Hole at the end of February and I am thinking about taking an advanced lesson. I'm thinking it would help me get acquainted with the mountain as well as help me develop some big mountain skills (I'm an East coast skier.). The private lessons are very steep. Has anyone taken the advanced group lessons offered by their ski school? Are there other outlets that offer lessons both private and group? Thanks!
post #2 of 20

pm Tetonpowdrjunkie 

 

@tetonpwdrjunkie 

 

Dave is an outstanding instructor who recently took my friend out for a day.  My friends comment was, and I quote "Dave was a lifesaver"  

post #3 of 20
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finndog View Post

pm Tetonpowdrjunkie 

@tetonpwdrjunkie
 

Dave is an outstanding instructor who recently took my friend out for a day.  My friends comment was, and I quote "Dave was a lifesaver"  

I will do that, thanks.
post #4 of 20

I've taken a private lesson at Jackson on 2 occasions.

One was the worst lesson I've ever had, and one was the best lesson I've ever had.  So, like anywhere I'm sure, the quality of the lesson depends on the Instructor.

 

I wish I could remember the name of the guy that provided the best lesson for you.  Drat.

post #5 of 20

I think an advanced group lesson is just what you are looking for.  In my experience, showing you where the terrain suitable for you can be found is always a  big part of the package.

post #6 of 20
Definitely go for the lesson with Dave. We did a private 1/2 day group lesson with him last Feb and it was great. None of us had been there and having Dave navigate the mountain was well worth it. He is also an excellent instructor. It's pricey but I think you will be pleased. Getting to know a mountain of that size is key.
post #7 of 20
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bighandsray View Post

Definitely go for the lesson with Dave. We did a private 1/2 day group lesson with him last Feb and it was great. None of us had been there and having Dave navigate the mountain was well worth it. He is also an excellent instructor. It's pricey but I think you will be pleased. Getting to know a mountain of that size is key.

What's the price range?
post #8 of 20

Here's the pricing page for the group, non-private lessons:

 

http://www.jacksonhole.com/group-lessons.html

 

Based on your comments, I'm thinking the Mountain X class would be of the most interest to you.  You can pm Dave to find out if you can arrange to have him be the instructor for a Mountain X class.

 

There's no question one of these classes would help you get acquainted with the mountain.  Have fun when you get here.  We should surpass 200" of cumulative snowfall for the season by sometime tomorrow.

 

 :snowfall 

post #9 of 20

I did a group private lesson with Dave a few years ago and my entire group still talks about it to this day.  They loved it.  Yes it was expensive, but we felt it was worth it.

post #10 of 20
I have not taken a lesson from Dave, but he is a GOOD skier (and so is Bob Peters by the way). I'm sure you won't be disappointed. Both of these guys know the mountain too...
post #11 of 20

Thanks for the kind feedback everyone, I really appreciate it!  I don't know if the private lessons are worth the cost.  I know that I try very hard to make any day skiing with me fun and informative.  I get a lot of return business and have a pretty good tip rate so I'd like to think my students see some value.  This is my 8th full season teaching and I am feeling very positive about my skiing and teaching.  I am getting some nice feedback from my peers in trainings and general respect from all of the supervisors.  It feels like a family in a lot of ways and there is no other way to say it....  I love teaching skiing at JHMR!

post #12 of 20
We're at Jackson hole at the moment and although I haven't had any experience with Dave or Bob, and our experience to date is biased towards the junior ski school. I casn honestly say that I have never come across a ski school that goes to such great lengths to match clients with the right instructor. To date we've had experience with two instructors, one who showed us some of the mountain from the tram and thunder and the ten year olds instructor who has had them down the hobacks and hiking the headwall. My point being that if you let them know what you want they'll deliver. Bob's suggestion of the mountain x is a good one. I'd look into that and you may find that you can book a group lesson and request Dave. I understand this has happened with other kids in my son's class. There are free mountain host tours which are great, but they don't cover terrain beyond blue. I found Bob's guide really useful too.

I'm doing the elevate camp starting Monday so am happy to report back on how breaking into groups at the upper levels goes, but unless he turns up in drag I doubt Dave will be one of the instructors.
post #13 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski Kiwi View Post

We're at Jackson hole at the moment and although I haven't had any experience with Dave or Bob, and our experience to date is biased towards the junior ski school. I casn honestly say that I have never come across a ski school that goes to such great lengths to match clients with the right instructor. To date we've had experience with two instructors, one who showed us some of the mountain from the tram and thunder and the ten year olds instructor who has had them down the hobacks and hiking the headwall. My point being that if you let them know what you want they'll deliver. Bob's suggestion of the mountain x is a good one. I'd look into that and you may find that you can book a group lesson and request Dave. I understand this has happened with other kids in my son's class. There are free mountain host tours which are great, but they don't cover terrain beyond blue. I found Bob's guide really useful too.

I'm doing the elevate camp starting Monday so am happy to report back on how breaking into groups at the upper levels goes, but unless he turns up in drag I doubt Dave will be one of the instructors.

 

I'm glad you are having such a good experience with our Kids Ranch.  I think they do a great job over there.  I mostly teach adult MountainX lessons, but do work with the TVR program which is a locals group for kids.  This year I have seven girls in my group ages 7-9.  They are really a fun group and can ski pretty well.  Last week we skied off The Tram.  This week was themed as "Big Mountain Saturday" and we did transevier drills and tree well awareness training.  It's cool that seven of them and one of me equals a private gondola car.  I won't be coaching the Elevate Camp, but I'm sure you will have a great time anyway:D,

post #14 of 20
Thread Starter 
I'm thinking that I would like the Mountain X lesson perhaps the full day. My fiancé snowboards and she is interested in something similar, any suggestions? Our first day on the mountain would be 2/23 and I'd like to take the lesson that day in order to use the knowledge of the mountain and skills I obtain for the rest of the week. I am really looking forward to this trip!
post #15 of 20

You should like the MountainX lesson.  I would do the full day as the price difference is only $20.  We have similiar lessons for Snowboarders that your fiance will enjoy.  I think doing the lesson on your first day is wise for the reasons that you listed.  I never understand why some people take lessons on their last day.  You will have a great time in JH.  There is a lot to see and do here.

post #16 of 20

I've met and skied with TPJ in Jackson Hole ( had some beers in the Moose with him also). While I did not take a lesson with him, I know other Bears say good things about the man . I do know that he is very articulate and thoughtful when he posts about technique in the Epic Instructional forums, and, you should check out some of his posts as they will give you a sense of the man's thinking and philosophy about teaching. 

 

I'm a big believer in group sessions. For sure, it's a better value, but, it's almost impossible to change your skiing greatly in a day. If your instructor can give you just 2 or 3 of the right insights, then implementing them takes time. My advice is to prepare for the lesson by being able to state very clearly what you expect to learn that day. Any worthwhile instructor should ask that at the start of the day, so be prepared. And don't be afraid to speak up or ask for clarity when confused by something.

 

Enjoy JH, my personal very favorite place to ski and visit. 

post #17 of 20
Thread Starter 

Thanks for all the replies!  I believe I am going to sign up for the mountain x class.  Can't wait for my trip to Jackson!  I'll be in Utah a couple weeks before, so I have two great ski trips coming up.

post #18 of 20
Thread Starter 
So I signed up for the mountain x class and my fiancé signed up for the blue plate special snowboard class. Our first day there,we'll both sown the day in our classes then be together the rest of the week. We plan on skiing 5 days total.
post #19 of 20

I put together a group of 5 people for an all-day private lesson with Tetonpwdrjunkie last month. We did it on day 2 of 6. Everyone felt he was a good instructor and the lesson was worthwhile. This was my first lesson in about 40 years and it helped me get past a plateau in my skiing. It was also comforting to check out some of the terrain with a local employee.

Edit: 40 years, not 4.


Edited by jeff2010 - 2/14/14 at 9:40am
post #20 of 20

I put together a 4-hour morning lesson, with the early start option, for me and my two ski buddies with a Level III instructor I know from another ski forum.  Also on our second ski day.  It was our first time at JH.  My friends hadn't taken a high level lesson before.  We are all advanced but with different skill sets, especially on bumps.  We had a very good morning since the instructor was excellent at essentially doing three private lessons using the same drills and terrain to teach slight variations of technique depending on our base ability level.  Since the price is the same for 1 to 5 participants, if there are more than a couple people then it's really a pretty good value.

 

Also had a chance to ski a bit with tetonpwdrjunkie.  I'm sure he is a good instructor to request for a private.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Skiing Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › General Skiing Discussion › Lesson in Jackson Hole worth it?