or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Member Gear Reviews › Skied the old and new MX88 back to back!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Skied the old and new MX88 back to back!

post #1 of 17
Thread Starter 

Just a quick hit review, but I finally skied the MX88 back to back: old vs. new model. Not what I expected!  It was beat up, heavy crud, challenging conditions for sure, 32-degree wind affected snow. 

 

The old MX88's were 178cm, original model, had around 8 days on them.  Friend dropped them off for a tune and let me borrow them for the day.  New MX88's were fresh out of the wrapper, 178cm as well.

 

Just a couple of runs on each before the weather turned and they shut the lifts down. These skis are close in character, but not the same!  I really felt the old MX88 was a bit beefier: it had an uncanny stability when really opening things up. I even remember this from early 2008 when I first skied it: hasn't changed over the years.   Seemed a bit stiffer underfoot. The new MX88, in contrast, was more nimble, with even more of a sweet spot.  Maybe 97% of the old model's stability, but the tip felt softer: more engaging, more active, easier to get bend up and maneuver through cruddy big bumps forming.  More forgiving with very little loss in performance.  Tail release was similar, and there was no way to check on edge hold: snow was soft and heavy.

 

Long story short: I liked the new ski better; it seems even more versatile. MX88's tip was similar in flex and feel to the current FX94: the previous generation's was a little beefier.   Old model had slightly more "charger" feel, the new one just is easier, really with no significant loss in performance. 

 

It seems they took what they learned with the MX88 update and applied it to the current FX94, at least in terms of flex. Checking on flex in both skis, they are nearly identical at the tip and underfoot. 

post #2 of 17

This is really interesting. Did you notice anything different about the tails? 

post #3 of 17
What about the tune difference? Could that be a factor?
post #4 of 17
I suspect there could be a difference in the wood core.No piece of wood are the same and can not be copied ski to ski.Just a thought I see it in the trad archery world.Bows built out of the same mold with the same wood,some will rattle your jaw and some are smooth.
post #5 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexzn View Post

What about the tune difference? Could that be a factor?

Hard to say in soft snow; I always notice a tune more on really firm snow.  Flex seems to be more obvious in conditions which I was skiing.  I tuned them similar to the factory tune; really they weren't bad tune-wise, but needed some touch-up due to base damage from this great snow year we have been having. 

 

Fooling around with the calipers, the current model is 1.5mm thicker than the 2012 underfoot. Tip is around the same. 

post #6 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrundy View Post

I suspect there could be a difference in the wood core.No piece of wood are the same and can not be copied ski to ski.Just a thought I see it in the trad archery world.Bows built out of the same mold with the same wood,some will rattle your jaw and some are smooth.

 

Sure, that is definitely a possibility.  Does wood change with age once it is pressed?  One ski probably being 3 years from production, the other 6-8 months out. 

 

I wouldn't be surprised if they did some layup changes without really publicizing it.  When the new FX94 came out, they were talking about the tip change being the only real difference initially, when in fact, the layup changes probably had the greatest effect on the new ski.  Maybe talking about that stuff is a little too technical for the consumer, as they can't see the change, unlike a tip profile changes, which is obvious.  

 

I can remember the very first time I skied an MX88, right after skiing a Stormrider XXXL: they were pretty darn similar.  The MX88 was a bit less deliberate at the tip (more aggressive) and felt a touch softer underfoot, but overall, they were close in performance and forgiveness, with the Stockli being a bit more demanding.  I owned the XXXL for a few seasons, and don't remember it ever being close to this forgiving, however.  Maybe it is all in my head, but this ski just seems even more versatile than the old model was. 

post #7 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by beyond View Post
 

This is really interesting. Did you notice anything different about the tails? 

Not really, but in that heavy snow, I wasn't able to really load them well.  The kind of snow that "is tough to ski, but makes you a better skier".  

post #8 of 17

To really be sure about your findings, you should ski at least a dozen old mx88 and a dozen new just to be sure that it was not an error...;)

 

 

Skiing a new and an old model back to back must be fun... it's like opening 2 bottles of the same wine but different years!

post #9 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by mogsie View Post
 

To really be sure about your findings, you should ski at least a dozen old mx88 and a dozen new just to be sure that it was not an error...;)

 

No, he should ski the old one on one leg, new one on the other, have friend tape topsheets and not tell him which is which...:D

post #10 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by beyond View Post
 

No, he should ski the old one on one leg, new one on the other, have friend tape topsheets and not tell him which is which...:D

That should be fun!!!

Just tought about it: they should do all ski test like that: no top sheet, no brand and no name; just a number on the ski you test!

post #11 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgcatching View Post
 

 

Sure, that is definitely a possibility.  Does wood change with age once it is pressed?  One ski probably being 3 years from production, the other 6-8 months out. 

 

I wouldn't be surprised if they did some layup changes without really publicizing it.

You know the sidecut changed, right?

post #12 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiteroom View Post
 

You know the sidecut changed, right?

Yes, I assume some changes happened beyond that. 

post #13 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiteroom View Post
 

You know the sidecut changed, right?

:eek

post #14 of 17
Dawg, have u got to ski the 78's back to back? If so, how does the new generation compare to the old?
post #15 of 17
Thread Starter 

Hey,

 

I know they changed the sidewall composition (went from Phenol to ABS) so that softens the ski. The Phenol sidewall was race-room stuff.   Unfortunately, I sold my first-gen MX78 long ago, and while the new ski is great, I can't make a direct comparison without a back to back demo.  The current version seems good in bumps, but the old one was, too. 

post #16 of 17

Think, may be wrong, that the original MX and RX skis all were dual radius, with the shorter in front. The new ones are elliptical, which implies a kind of "triple radius" where the front and back have a shorter radius than the middle. Now I own some BMX98's that have the shorter radius in back. And I can definitely feel that radius in the last 1/3 of the turn, tucking the tail in. So if you do shorter at both ends, I'd guess it would quicken the net handling. Not dramatically, but systematically. Wonder if that, besides the softer sidewalls, accounts for the different feel of the new MX's. 

post #17 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgcatching View Post
 

Just a quick hit review, but I finally skied the MX88 back to back: old vs. new model. Not what I expected!  It was beat up, heavy crud, challenging conditions for sure, 32-degree wind affected snow. 

 

The old MX88's were 178cm, original model, had around 8 days on them.  Friend dropped them off for a tune and let me borrow them for the day.  New MX88's were fresh out of the wrapper, 178cm as well.

 

Just a couple of runs on each before the weather turned and they shut the lifts down. These skis are close in character, but not the same!  I really felt the old MX88 was a bit beefier: it had an uncanny stability when really opening things up. I even remember this from early 2008 when I first skied it: hasn't changed over the years.   Seemed a bit stiffer underfoot. The new MX88, in contrast, was more nimble, with even more of a sweet spot.  Maybe 97% of the old model's stability, but the tip felt softer: more engaging, more active, easier to get bend up and maneuver through cruddy big bumps forming.  More forgiving with very little loss in performance.  Tail release was similar, and there was no way to check on edge hold: snow was soft and heavy.

 

Long story short: I liked the new ski better; it seems even more versatile. MX88's tip was similar in flex and feel to the current FX94: the previous generation's was a little beefier.   Old model had slightly more "charger" feel, the new one just is easier, really with no significant loss in performance. 

 

It seems they took what they learned with the MX88 update and applied it to the current FX94, at least in terms of flex. Checking on flex in both skis, they are nearly identical at the tip and underfoot. 


Is this 2014 vs 2015 models you are testing?

 

/Evert

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Member Gear Reviews
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Member Gear Reviews › Skied the old and new MX88 back to back!