or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

If I had a dollar... - Page 5

post #121 of 135
Again, why does anyone care what others ski on if you're not paid to? Mystified here, but don't help me out . I'll never understand .
post #122 of 135
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronism View Post
 

So you are a better judge than them as to what skis they should have on their feet?

 

In some cases, yes.

post #123 of 135

In hindsight, weren't long straight ski's wrong for recreation skiing altogether in their time? But many of you consider that the good old days.

post #124 of 135
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecimmortal View Post
 

In hindsight, weren't long straight ski's wrong for recreation skiing altogether in their time? But many of you consider that the good old days.

 

Why do you think they were "wrong"?

 

I still find them just fine for recreational skiing...

post #125 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronism View Post
 

 

Are they having fun? Sufficient skills.

 

All the rest is just rationalizations to help you feel superior to everybody else not "smart" enough to ski the "proper" equipment, which just happens to be the same equipment you have a preference for.

 

Nah, just an observation from somebody that has tried all the various skis at our little hill over the years. No need for superiority here. Thanks for the online psycho analysis though.

 

When somebody spends $1,000 on new skis I suspect it's because they want to get the most out of that equipment as well as help them get the most from their skills and improve on the terrain they are using them most often. Some equipment can be limiting in that way if it is (much) less than optimal tool for the job. If they just wanted to "have fun" they would be on rental skis. In fact, the people on rentals seem to be having the most fun!

post #126 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi Smash View Post
 

 

Why do you think they were "wrong"?

 

I still find them just fine for recreational skiing...

:deadhorse: 

post #127 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by markojp View Post

Again, why does anyone care what others ski on if you're not paid to? Mystified here, but don't help me out . I'll never understand .

 

If you are bothering to read this thread then you must care more than you think.

 

This is the kind of thing Epicski members care about. They are passionate about everything related to skiing. As you know.

 

One reason it bothers me when I see 110mm rockers at my local New England hill on a hardpack-only day is that it represents one more lost opportunity.  A person who could be learning the shear fun of carving but instead they're pushing those fatties around and sliding and maybe they won't come back until it snows, which could be next year.  Or maybe they'll quit.  This is bad for the skier, because he could be having more fun, and bad for my ski area because margins are thin and every extra skier-day helps it stay open one more year.  Yes the last part is selfish, but if the local hill closes, as so many others have, I'd be so screwed.

post #128 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi Smash View Post
 

 

Why do you think they were "wrong"?

 

I still find them just fine for recreational skiing...


So what you're saying is; As long as it fits your particular definition of "right" then it's ok?

post #129 of 135

Right now the right ski for Tahoe is as narrow as possible. Why?  Because a skinny ski sneaks between the rocks better. Same reason a skinny ski is best for those KT 22 storm days, if  we ever get another one--easier to sneak past other people in line.

post #130 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecimmortal View Post
 

In hindsight, weren't long straight ski's wrong for recreation skiing altogether in their time? But many of you consider that the good old days.

No, they were the best available option at the time, to provide the best skiing experience available at the time.  Even then with strait skis, some skis were better for freestyle, ballet, bumps, slalom, GS, SG, DH, or just front side skis.  They had different stiffness to them, to carve, you had to arc and bend your ski.  So even then, different strait skis were appropriate for different types of skiers.  The region one skis in, makes a big difference.  In the straight ski days, the go to ski for experts in the Midwest was a Slalom Race Ski, unless you were into bumps, freestyle, etc.... If you were a front side skier like 95% of them and an expert, you probably had a Rossignol 4S as your single quiver ski (the best selling ski of all time).  Out west though, you would see a lot for of the non-racers skiing a 4GS.  Bigger turns on bigger mountains (you still would see the 4s out west).  All in All it's about getting the best available equipment for that particular skier.  In reality, their might be a better ski out their for you, me, and most people than what we are even skiing on today.  It might make our experience better than what it already is.....  

Why do people buy more than one set of skis?  Because they want to have a better experience in different skiing environments.... That fact alone proves the need/desire for people to get a positive experience from their equipment, while skiing.

 

Why do you think all of the Ski Manufacturers switched to Parabolic design?  It was because it provided a better skiing experience.  Your argument is not valid with that statement.  The question really is are they the right skis available today for the best experience.  The ski industry knows that retention is terrible when people have the wrong equipment, more so when they buy the wrong equipment, and don't enjoy the sport as much as they would have otherwise.

 

Skiing in Minnesota, I can find 0 reason for someone to have a single quiver ski that is wider than 100 underfoot.  If they like the parks, they should get a ski designed for the park, if they don't they should get a ski that can be used, to best suit the style of skiing they will do, and want to progress to.  If someone can afford to have 3 or 4 skis in the quiver, and they travel to other areas, by all means have a pair in the quiver.  You don't get back country skiing in Minnesota, OB opportunities, Chutes, Pow days, nor Cat or Heli skiing.  5" of fresh liquid concrete consistency snow is about the best Pow you will find around these parts, if it gets much deeper than that no ski is very good at handling it.  It doesn't flow outward and spray up in your face, the snow weighs too much.

 

Last night I saw two guys skiing a run that is always groomed, again they were on Twin Tips designed for the park.  Both in their late 20's, and I would call them a level 1 to 2 skiers at best.  They were sliding all over a Green run, they were not in the Park all night.  I experienced no Ice, but when I was in the East Chalet later that night, they were complaining about how icy it was.  Clear case that they did not get the right set up from the bike shop.  I'm not talking about Valley Bike and Ski as another post indicated.  This Bike shop has many locations, and sells what they have in my opinion to whoever they can.

 

This place isn't helping us retain skiers nor develop the sport, they are just trying to make some $$ when they aren't selling bikes.  That sticker on the right ski, makes me cringe every time I see it now.


Edited by msprace - 1/16/14 at 8:55am
post #131 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecimmortal View Post
 

In hindsight, weren't long straight ski's wrong for recreation skiing altogether in their time? But many of you consider that the good old days.

Probably, yes. There was GLM though.

But then, in hindsight the good old days had many design things that were questionable.

 

Pickup trucks with the gas tank behind the seat. (I know someone who was badly maimed by that)

No seat belts. No head restraints. etc etc.

Of course before 1965 Doctors did commercials for cigarettes.

The future may see beer ads in a similar light.

post #132 of 135

A lot of inexperienced skiers, me included back in the day, buy whatever is cheap, regardless of whether or not it is the right ski for them. Can't blame them--skiing is expensive. I skied for years in over large boots, going back and forth between skis that were too soft and too stiff.  Somehow or other I managed to get hooked and stay hooked. I ski better now that I've taken lessons and have better gear; I can't say I have more or less fun. The guy I saw on Spatulas on the WROD a couple of years ago was having fun (and was the best skier on the mountain that day.) My son was skiing the cheap park skis he bought to teach 3-4 year olds (the resort told him the graphics on the skis he had were offensive) with his boots unbuckled (he forgot) on a particularly steep icy run with no effort or difficulty, while it was all I could do, on the "right" gear to keep from killing myself. Ultimately it's not the ski, it's the skier. BTW--as far as tips flapping in the original post--I was told it was a bad idea to watch your tips. I think that applies to watching other people's tips too. 

post #133 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgoat View Post
 

 BTW--as far as tips flapping in the original post--I was told it was a bad idea to watch your tips. I think that applies to watching other people's tips too. 

 

Best quote on the thread! 
post #134 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tog View Post
 

Probably, yes. There was GLM though.

But then, in hindsight the good old days had many design things that were questionable.

 

Pickup trucks with the gas tank behind the seat. (I know someone who was badly maimed by that)

No seat belts. No head restraints. etc etc.

Of course before 1965 Doctors did commercials for cigarettes.

The future may see beer ads in a similar light.

Ha! I used to have a 73 Pinto. Not only did they tend to explode but to do a tune up you needed both English and metric tools.

post #135 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi Smash View Post

Why do you think they were "wrong"?

I still find them just fine for recreational skiing...

Well, you're wrong. My Titans are WAY more fun than your old straight skis. One dolla puleaze!

smile.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion