or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › General Skiing Discussion › Austria, skiing - Gentle slopes/Blue?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Austria, skiing - Gentle slopes/Blue?

post #1 of 10
Thread Starter 

Hi Guys,

 

I'm heading off for my 4th skiing holiday in Feb to Austria. I had gotten over my ski fear last year only to rupture my ACL 3 hours into the first day  - A beginner dragged me off the chair lift in a panic and took my ACL with them. I skied back down the slope but my holiday was over after that. :( I have completed my knee rehab (no surgery - physio and workouts) and I have a very serious knee brace to wear. I'm excited to get back but the nerves are really kicking in, I would like to ski some really gentle (almost flat gradient) slopes for the first day or two to get my confidence back up. Any suggestions slope wise? I hear that Ellmau is a great resort for beginners. Any suggestions/advise would be fantastic. 

 

Thanks! 

post #2 of 10

I haven't skied Austria so I can't make specific recommendations, but I would suggest that someplace that has good coverage, recent snow so the groomers are still soft, and not crowded will do more for your confidence than a place that is particularly flat--especially a place empty enough so you don't have to share a lift with a beginner. I've been grabbed unloading a couple of times--makes you wish the grips on your poles had sharp ends.

post #3 of 10
Do you have any idea where you're going or is it wide open? There must be hundreds of resorts there to choose from. Snow can be poor at the lower resorts like Kitzbuhel. Kaprun is high up and relatively easy. As oldgoat says, snow quality is a good thing to prioritize. I found that most skiers there were relatively poor and there were a fair number of beginner runs at every resort I went to. A big thing to keep in mind as far as crowds goesd is holidays and proximity to big cities. Places like Ischgl and Soelden are likely less crowded because they're further from the big cities like Innsbruck and Munich. Also, big name resorts will always have the tourist crowds although some of the ski safari areas are so big u can still find some space. Liftlines are brutal there...more of a funnel than a line...
post #4 of 10

Ishgl is worth a look, take the lift up to the plateau and ski the beginners area [ Idalp ??] until you get your confidence back. At the end of the day take the lift back down to ishgl.

 

Or take the free bus to Galtur and ski the easy stuff there. You will be back on the blues in a day or so, it is on the same pass as Ishgl.

 

This is my favorite Austrian resort.

post #5 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TQA View Post
 

Ishgl is worth a look, take the lift up to the plateau and ski the beginners area [ Idalp ??] until you get your confidence back. At the end of the day take the lift back down to ishgl.

 

Or take the free bus to Galtur and ski the easy stuff there. You will be back on the blues in a day or so, it is on the same pass as Ishgl.

 

This is my favorite Austrian resort.


I spent a week in Ischgl once. We were with a group of very recreational Poles. It was a real mellow place, but it still gave me the opportunity to get on some steep stuff. I rode knee deep powder 10 feet off the rail pretty much the whole week.

post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecimmortal View Post
 


I spent a week in Ischgl once. We were with a group of very recreational Poles. It was a real mellow place, but it still gave me the opportunity to get on some steep stuff. I rode knee deep powder 10 feet off the rail pretty much the whole week.

 

Yeah, there are a lot of smaller, relatively unknown resorts there that, unless it's a weekend or holiday, will be fairly empty.  Kitzbuhel is always crazy, charter planes of foreigners always going there.  The interior, smaller resorts are better I think.

post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuziQ View Post
 

Hi Guys,

 

I'm heading off for my 4th skiing holiday in Feb to Austria. I had gotten over my ski fear last year only to rupture my ACL 3 hours into the first day  - A beginner dragged me off the chair lift in a panic and took my ACL with them. I skied back down the slope but my holiday was over after that. :( I have completed my knee rehab (no surgery - physio and workouts) and I have a very serious knee brace to wear. I'm excited to get back but the nerves are really kicking in, I would like to ski some really gentle (almost flat gradient) slopes for the first day or two to get my confidence back up. Any suggestions slope wise? I hear that Ellmau is a great resort for beginners. Any suggestions/advise would be fantastic. 

 

Thanks! 

No suggestions about where to ski.  Just wanted to let you know that I skied all last season without an ACL after rehabbing and doing ski conditioning July-Dec.  Worked out quite well.  I'm an older woman, advanced but not aggressive in terms of how I liked to ski before and after losing an ACL (not skiing).

post #8 of 10

Most of the pistes in Tirol are relatively flat-- and hyper-groomed. But beginner pistes get busy. Your best bet is going midweek, and trying to find a smaller resort with only a few lifts. 

 

Consider that lunch is a quiet time to ski-- and a difficult time to get a seat. After lunch, particularly by 2pm, mountains get relatively quiet. Avoid valley runs in the afternoon because they are an autobahn of exhausted, mediocre skiers downloading. It's the most dangerous part of the day. 

 

Good luck! 

post #9 of 10

Just as an FYI, it was 10C in Kitzbuhel yesterday...my bro went road cycling around Salzburg at lunchtime!  So yeah, it makes me sick to book a long in-advance vacation there!!  Better off in the big mountains.

post #10 of 10

Yeah, I went skiing in Zillertal Sunday, and for a bike ride just South of Munich on Monday. Crazy.

 

But the actual pistes are fine. Actually, really nice above 1500m, great up around 2000m. And the OP is looking for mellow cruising to get back the mojo... so that's perfect.

 

Up here it's been one of the worst winters in recent memory for getting off-piste. I think I spent more time on-trail Sunday than I have in 3 cumulative seasons. Wild. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Skiing Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › General Skiing Discussion › Austria, skiing - Gentle slopes/Blue?