or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ask the Boot Guys › How to eliminate discomfort for someone with a large bone on the top of their feet?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

How to eliminate discomfort for someone with a large bone on the top of their feet?

post #1 of 8
Thread Starter 

Hello everyone. Today i was trying out my brand new pair of lange rs 130's. Great boots. Love them. I noticed a problem though. As soon as i put on the boots (i noticed this when i bought them i just thought nothing of it) i felt some discomfort on the top of my foot when i tightened the buckles. After a few runs the discomfort had become pain had spread down to my arch and into my heel. I stopped and took off the boots and noticed my arch had almost flattened out. I don't have any insoles in the boot yet which i'll be putting in as soon as i get the chance so i believe that should solve the arch issue. The main issue here is that bone on the top of my foot being squashed. It's really uncomfortable and at times painful. Is there anything i can do to fix this? I already tried loosening the buckles but then the boots become too lose and my foot swims around inside. At this point i may be considering getting some different boots because maybe they just aren't for me. I'm 145 pounds, my foot is mondo size 28 (the boots are a size 28.5 mondo) and my last is 95mm (the boots have a 97mm last). The boot fits perfectly aside from this problem. is it fixable with some orthodics or will i need adjustments done to the boot? Or will i need new boots altogether? Help me out here

post #2 of 8

Certainly a custom footbed could and should help, but that alone will not solve the problem, until you get a footbed made there are a couple of things that may help, remove the factory insole and ski with no insole at all, wear the thinnest socks you can find, even a stocking if you can find some instead of a sock, keep your bottom buckles as loose as you can even leave them totally undone, hopefully they will not let snow in, all of this may provide some comfort until you find time to see a boot fitter.

 

A boot fitter may modify the tongue of the liner to thin the area at the Cuneiform bones ( your instep), they may shave the plastic board inside the boot under the liner to lower your foot, some may even stretch the boot in this instep area to give more space, the main thing though is to get into a reputable boot fitter first chance you get.

 

I have found in some extreme cases selling the customer a Zipfit liner solved the problems when all other attempts were not enough, as the Zipfit liners tongue can be made very thin in this area.

 

Paul


Edited by paulski - 1/5/14 at 2:08am
post #3 of 8
Thread Starter 

Thanks for the reply. I'm going to see a boot fitter today and i put some orthodics in the place of the stock insoles. They feel better but i guess i won't know for sure until i head on the hills again. I do wear thin socks and i tried unbuckling the front buckles and my foot just started to move. The bootfitter will take a look today and i'll take it from there. Thanks again

post #4 of 8

a couple of things that you stated indicate that there may be a sizing issue………..

 

you said that you foot is a mondo 28. can you measure the length of your foot with a mm tape and let us know what you see. try putting your heel against the wall and mark the spot where your toe ends, then measure the distance from the wall to the toe mark. i am also not seeing the correlation to your 145 lbs and a size 12 ( 28.5 mondo) could be wrong on this one, however i see a lot of feet, bodies, and boots and that one is on the far side of the scale of possibilities, unless you are under 14 years of age. and if that is the case there may be a flex issue.

 

the other sizing indicator is that with a lange rs 130 properly sized, you should be able to ski them with no balance issues or foot movement issues on moderate pitches and speeds. that is if the boot is the correct fit for length width and volume.

 

also you said that your forefoot is 95 mm? the lange rs 130 is 97mm at the forefoot of a size 26. in a size 28 that boot would be 100mm wide.

 

it sounds to me like size and volume are part of the puzzle with this fit issue.

 

inherently the lange rs 130 has a very easy to fit, average instep height. as a boot fitter and seller of lange boots, i would not usually shy away from a customer with a higher than average instep going into that model of boot. there is also plenty of padding in the tongue to work with to reduce pressure on a specific spot on the instep.

 

when you get to the ski shop for your fitting the first thing your fitter should do is a proper assessment of your foot length, width, and volume, as well as figuring out where the top of your foot sits on the relative sizing to your foot. if your foot is smaller than a 28 or 28.5, that should end the idea of fix solutions for your size 28 rs 130. if it close, then the next move is a look at your foot inside the shell without the liner to see how much space is behind your heel when the the toes are straight and lightly touching at the front of the boot.

 

you should get at minimum a trim to fit footbed, and if you have the money a well made custom is best, before you do any other modifications.

 

jim

post #5 of 8
Thread Starter 

Thanks Jim. I went to the store today and unfortunately the bootfitter was not present but an employee measured my foot and it seems like the store scammed me by saying i was a 28.5 when i bought my current boots just so they could get rid of the old stock which i got for a discounted price (and thank god i did)  :bs:. Turns out my foot is actually mondo size 27.5. I'm not too sure about my street shoe size because i like to wear big shoes and i have no problems with them. I'm 15 and 145 pounds and 5'11 i believe. I returned the the 28.5's and now I'm debating weather i should buy rs130's again in 27.5 or i should buy a pair of rx130's instead. Do you know much about the difference in the two boots? I've heard they're pretty much the same but some people have said the rx130 leaks a lot and others say they are more comfortable. I was skiing just fine with these and had a pair of my dad's lange tii's before and i adored those as well. I like the narrower last of the rs boot because my last is quite narrow. its a solid 95mm on both feet. I'm not gonna lie, even with the too large 28.5's i was skiing great and my foot wasn't swimming at all. In my eyes it was a perfect fit besides the excruciating pain i was feeling. i tried putting in my orthodics but that didn't work out because they're too thick and i cant even put my foot in. I'm in a bit of a pickle right now. Any suggestions for what to do next?

post #6 of 8

1st thing i would do is find another fitter, sounds like these guys cannot be trusted... you could take the opinion that they have taken the boots back, but they shouldn't have put you in them in the first place

 

RX LV (low volume) and RS are the same shell,97mm last... as are RS wide and RX, which are 100mm (in a size 26)

post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgarbageman View Post
 

Thanks Jim. I went to the store today and unfortunately the bootfitter was not present but an employee measured my foot and it seems like the store scammed me by saying i was a 28.5 when i bought my current boots just so they could get rid of the old stock which i got for a discounted price (and thank god i did)  :bs:. Turns out my foot is actually mondo size 27.5. I'm not too sure about my street shoe size because i like to wear big shoes and i have no problems with them. I'm 15 and 145 pounds and 5'11 i believe. I returned the the 28.5's and now I'm debating weather i should buy rs130's again in 27.5 or i should buy a pair of rx130's instead. Do you know much about the difference in the two boots? I've heard they're pretty much the same but some people have said the rx130 leaks a lot and others say they are more comfortable. I was skiing just fine with these and had a pair of my dad's lange tii's before and i adored those as well. I like the narrower last of the rs boot because my last is quite narrow. its a solid 95mm on both feet. I'm not gonna lie, even with the too large 28.5's i was skiing great and my foot wasn't swimming at all. In my eyes it was a perfect fit besides the excruciating pain i was feeling. i tried putting in my orthodics but that didn't work out because they're too thick and i cant even put my foot in. I'm in a bit of a pickle right now. Any suggestions for what to do next?

mrgarbageman,

 

http://www.epicski.com/a/boot-fitting-which-boot-will-work-for-me

 

Click on and read through (and reread) the above article and perform a "shell checkon the boots you now have----I think the boots you purchased would work out to be too large (when you consider you might keep them for years to come) getting the right size is very important.

 

It is possible the 27.5 boots are too large to work within the shell check parameters.

 

You also may need to have the shell stretched over the instep of the foot to wear them comfortably.

 

mike

post #8 of 8
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by miketsc View Post
 

mrgarbageman,

 

http://www.epicski.com/a/boot-fitting-which-boot-will-work-for-me

 

Click on and read through (and reread) the above article and perform a "shell checkon the boots you now have----I think the boots you purchased would work out to be too large (when you consider you might keep them for years to come) getting the right size is very important.

 

It is possible the 27.5 boots are too large to work within the shell check parameters.

 

You also may need to have the shell stretched over the instep of the foot to wear them comfortably.

 

mike

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEM View Post
 

1st thing i would do is find another fitter, sounds like these guys cannot be trusted... you could take the opinion that they have taken the boots back, but they shouldn't have put you in them in the first place

 

RX LV (low volume) and RS are the same shell,97mm last... as are RS wide and RX, which are 100mm (in a size 26)

 

Thanks for the answer. The guy that put me in the 28.5's was not a bootfitter he was just an employee. That was probably the biggest mistake I made in this boot dilemma. I corrected that by seeing the ACTUAL bootfitter today and he said 27.5 was my size. With regards to the boot itself. The fitter told me that they are the exact same. I picked the RS in the first place because they had a discount on that specific model and they still do to this day... I tried on the RX LV and they are in fact the same but are full price. I need a low volume boot because of my outrageously narrow foot but also need something to accomodate my high instep/protruding bone. I'm thinking of possibly getting some work done on that area as suggested by mike. The boots i have right now are the size 27.5 RS130's which I exchanged the size 28.5's for. They've passed the shell check with flying colours. I guess my only option is to have work done on the shell.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ask the Boot Guys
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ask the Boot Guys › How to eliminate discomfort for someone with a large bone on the top of their feet?