or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › Ski Training and Pro Forums › Racing and Big Mountain Competitions › 66 year old ready for Nastar What is a GS Cheater Ski?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

66 year old ready for Nastar What is a GS Cheater Ski? - Page 9

post #241 of 261
Let go of your 'Volkl only' mantra (pardon the pun)... There are a lot of great skis out there in this catagory. Chose one. Ski it. A lot. Get used to it. Get some coaching. Ski better. Have fun.[/quote]

Lots of great advice in this thread; but the above statement sums up what worked for me this season. All I would add is have the skis you pick tuned even if new.

I'm not 66, but 49 is plenty old to start racing plus I have a torn ACL. I'm a huge Volkl fan and beside Goats and Racetiger SL's I have a pair of WC GS Racetigers in size183 R>23 with piston plates. They are a blast for free skiing but in races I had trouble keeping hooked up at the couple of gates set way out there. Ended up with Rossi Radical Masters (cheaters) which took some adjusting on my part. They also were in terrible tune from the factory but nothing a good local tune couldn't correct. Initially I was faster on the SL's but now am consistently faster on the Rossi's.

Thought I was a pretty good skier but chasing gates was very humbling. I started out way at the back of the NASTAR pack but ended up middle of the pack now. In between I attended a couple clinics, got a little coaching, and ran a LOT of gates on the Rossi's. Between daily NASTAR, beer league, and a couple 'full size' GS races, I logged over 120 timed runs this season plus who knows how many practice runs. Though a mid season injury (not from racing, was from being stupid) did slow me down longer, maybe I am just a really slow learner. It took almost the entire season for me to start putting it all together. Anyway, there is light at the end of the tunnel if you make enough laps.
post #242 of 261
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ventura View Post

Let go of your 'Volkl only' mantra (pardon the pun)... There are a lot of great skis out there in this catagory. Chose one. Ski it. A lot. Get used to it. Get some coaching. Ski better. Have fun.[/quote]

Lots of great advice in this thread; but the above statement sums up what worked for me this season. All I would add is have the skis you pick tuned even if new.

I'm not 66, but 49 is plenty old to start racing plus I have a torn ACL. I'm a huge Volkl fan and beside Goats and Racetiger SL's I have a pair of WC GS Racetigers in size183 R>23 with piston plates. They are a blast for free skiing but in races I had trouble keeping hooked up at the couple of gates set way out there. Ended up with Rossi Radical Masters (cheaters) which took some adjusting on my part. They also were in terrible tune from the factory but nothing a good local tune couldn't correct. Initially I was faster on the SL's but now am consistently faster on the Rossi's.

Thought I was a pretty good skier but chasing gates was very humbling. I started out way at the back of the NASTAR pack but ended up middle of the pack now. In between I attended a couple clinics, got a little coaching, and ran a LOT of gates on the Rossi's. Between daily NASTAR, beer league, and a couple 'full size' GS races, I logged over 120 timed runs this season plus who knows how many practice runs. Though a mid season injury (not from racing, was from being stupid) did slow me down longer, maybe I am just a really slow learner. It took almost the entire season for me to start putting it all together. Anyway, there is light at the end of the tunnel if you make enough laps.

Thanks for the encouragement. I am buying a piston plate and bindings. Cant wait to get that ski set up correctly and ski it. I read fabulous test reports on the Rossi SL 9 Slant-nose. Might be a little stiff for me.

post #243 of 261

Promised you guys to report back from the last race of the season. Ski instructor nationals. The GS course was set medium tight on an easy slope. At the steepest section with the most offset I did have a bit of trouble keeping a clean line and went a bit too straight hitting most of the gates but won my series with a large margin. Some younger guys and gals were faster but they were all pro skiers with racing back ground. Many of the slower guys were on various women's and men's FIS skis. For sure trainig and technique played its part but I don't think I lost a lot of time by using my modded PistonPlateMarkerComp20 UVO equipped 2013/14 185cm Völkl Racetiger cheaters GS skis R19,7m.

post #244 of 261

One Pair left in stock.....

post #245 of 261
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by patmoore View Post
 

One Pair left in stock.....

One pair of ?

post #246 of 261

Click on the link.  One pair of 158 FIS slaloms.

 

The X12 and X16 bindings are in stock too.

post #247 of 261
Thread Starter 
Pat I need 165
post #248 of 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by levy1 View Post

Pat I need 165

No you don't. You need to sort out the ski you have, ski it, get coached on it, then figure out what you need because you don't really know yet. Join you're local club and borrow a pair for a few runs first.

Not being mean, just trying to save you some money. smile.gif


Or try these.... http://www.epicski.com/t/127518/fs-08-nordica-dobermann-slr-165-w-px14-racing-on-wc-plates#post_1723839
post #249 of 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by patmoore View Post
 

Click on the link.  One pair of 158 FIS slaloms.

 

The X12 and X16 bindings are in stock too.

I skied on a pair of Brand spnking new 165 Atomic Redster Slalom all day Sunday with an X16 binding. 

 

Nothing short of amazing ski!  Crampon like tenacious edge hold, very fast, smooth, quick, stable and quiet all in the same ski. 

 

But demands good technique and rewards such handsomely! 

 

Flex 37/27 (Medium)

post #250 of 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by levy1 View Post

Pat I need 165

Thumbs Up 

 

slalom skis have come a long way in the last few years in regard to flex pattern and shape and damping. 

 

Get the newest ski you can afford! A 6 year old Slalom is not a good bet!  


Edited by Atomicman - 4/15/14 at 3:56pm
post #251 of 261
Thread Starter 
that's the one I've been looking at where did you get the flex numbers)::
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomicman View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by patmoore View Post

 
Click on the link.  One pair of 158 FIS slaloms.

The X12 and X16 bindings are in stock too.
I skied on a pair of Brand spnking new 165 Atomic Redster Slalom all day Sunday with an X16 binding. 

Nothing short of amazing ski!  Crampon like tenacious edge hold, very fast, smooth, quick, stable and quiet all in the same ski. 

But demands good technique and rewards such handsomely! 

Flex 37/27 (Medium)
post #252 of 261
Thread Starter 
from all the reviews that I read this is supposed to be a fairly flexible easy to maneuver or handle Salom ski
post #253 of 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by levy1 View Post

from all the reviews that I read this is supposed to be a fairly flexible easy to maneuver or handle Salom ski

This is a FIS legal Race Stock model. they come in 3 flexes I believe 38/28 soft,  37/27 medium and I am not sure about the burly numbers.

 

It is  written on the ski in pen. 

 

I actually have 2 pair. 

 

One is a 2011 D2 FIS Slalom 38/28 with an Atomic X18 and the other is this years Redster FIS describes above as you probably know the newer models do not have D2, but are still very damp, but I feel are livlier.. Which is an advantage if you have the skills to control the snappiness. If not, they could be challenging. 

 

I skied hard refrozen and groomed slush some with ice balls, and these things did not miss a beat. Better edge grip and more confidence inspiring than about anything I have ever skied on!

 

I would agree with that description, but they carve like you are on rails, if the skier is capable. 


Edited by Atomicman - 4/15/14 at 3:56pm
post #254 of 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by levy1 View Post

Pat I need 165

 

No you don't Fred. The 165 is too much for you when you are still trying to learn slalom.  The 158 is perfect.  And if it is enough ski for Pepi Neubauer I don't think it is going to be too little for you!

post #255 of 261
Thread Starter 
Yes sir! And BTW answer your PM
post #256 of 261
How's the 158cm in ungroomed?
Now that's balance training.
post #257 of 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tog View Post

How's the 158cm in ungroomed?
Now that's balance training.

Ya got that right

post #258 of 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tog View Post

How's the 158cm in ungroomed?
Now that's balance training.

you would be surprised!  the 158 is significantly more skim than the 155. I Would think of it as a 160.  Shown herb the (older) D2 155, 158 and 165 Slaloms for comparison

 

post #259 of 261

Interesting. Does look more like a 160.

I had an Elan 160 slalom around 04-6. Had a nice Vist plate on it, the free floating one where it attached mostly to the front as I recall. Was a great ski.

 

What's your view of the Double Deck? Now they're not using it?

post #260 of 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tog View Post
 

Interesting. Does look more like a 160.

I had an Elan 160 slalom around 04-6. Had a nice Vist plate on it, the free floating one where it attached mostly to the front as I recall. Was a great ski.

 

What's your view of the Double Deck? Now they're not using it?

 

I actually liked it but the slalom is definitely less damp and livelier without it

post #261 of 261

We do have a 2014 Redster non-FIS slalom in 160 in the demo fleet.  Used less than a dozen times.

 

 

 

 

Normal wear and tear.  See chipped paint on binding in photo above.   If interested or if you want more detailed photos call me at 800.799.5927.

 

MSRP $1150.  This pair $485 with free domestic shipping.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › Ski Training and Pro Forums › Racing and Big Mountain Competitions › 66 year old ready for Nastar What is a GS Cheater Ski?