or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › EpicSki Community › Trip Reports  › Maine Powder Sweetness - Mt. Abram
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Maine Powder Sweetness - Mt. Abram

post #1 of 26
Thread Starter 

Forecast was shaky for last night. We knew there was a storm coming, but how much snow was going to fall where was very uncertain. For the first time this season the alpine gods really smiled on me ... on a day when I was not either sick or bound by iron links to the work or home front. Four friends and I were about the 15th car in the lot this morning on a day when they unexpectedly received 14" nominally overnight - more in many spots. For the first 2.5 hours it was ski onto the lift. (There is only one slow double at this 1,150' mountain.) The good snow lasted much longer than could reasonably be expected, and they groomed precious little of it. :D Started to get very slightly busy (less than 5 min. wait) at about 11:30. We learned that many of these newly arriving people were refugees from Sunday River, where they had closed a bunch of lifts due to wind. Again luck with with us on our choice of venue. Apart from crusty old underpinnings here and there, and a bunch of treacherous long grass under the snow on one run, the skiing was absolutely fabulous. Snow was not blower light, but light enough. I have some video. Not sure I'm going to be able to keep my lids up long enough to edit out and convert a useful piece tonight, but it is coming.

 

Edit: But here is a little teaser courtesy of a friend's handy cell phone:

 

 


Edited by qcanoe - 12/30/13 at 5:11pm
post #2 of 26

Nice report.

 

That looks like a nicely gladed, powdery trail to me. I've never even heard of Mt Abram. When we do our Maine road trip, might just have to spend a day there. How far is it from Sunday River?

post #3 of 26

nice report

 

you would not want blower light with how hard and thin the base is right now, dense is nice.

post #4 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by gortonator View Post
 

Nice report.

 

That looks like a nicely gladed, powdery trail to me. I've never even heard of Mt Abram. When we do our Maine road trip, might just have to spend a day there. How far is it from Sunday River?

It is about 5 miles away and worlds apart. If you are curious to know what Sunday River  (an Maine skiing) was like back in the 60-70's, when it was Maine-centric, check out Mt. Abrams. The tiny town is also near Woodstock/Bryant Pond which is famous for having the last hand-crank phone system in the US. From Wiki:

 

Bryant Pond achieved some national fame and media attention beginning in the mid-1970s when its family-owned Bryant Pond Telephone Company became the last hand-crank telephone exchange in operation in the United States. In 1981, the two-position magneto switchboard in the living room of owners Barbara and Elden Hathaway, was purchased by the Oxford County Telephone & Telegraph Company, a nearby larger independent company. A movement called "Don't Yank The Crank" was organized by David Perham and Brad Hooper in a valiant but futile effort to keep their beloved crank phones. The effort was not ultimately successful, and the last "crank" calls took place on 11 October 1983, when a modern dial exchange (207-665) was placed in service.

 

It has been many decades since I skied Mt. Abrams. Qcanoe's report brings back fond memories.

D1

post #5 of 26
Nice!

Looks like a fun day, q!
post #6 of 26
There's not much better than an unexpected foot+. Had a great day there myself a few years ago around this time after a similar storm.
post #7 of 26

Way to get it, q!

post #8 of 26
Thread Starter 

Hokey POV from first run, with New Year's Eve twist. (Hint: turn on audio.)

 

 

post #9 of 26

I love it. I used to ski Abrams in the mid 90s when it was the telemark capital of Maine.

 

Gortanator, put Saddleback on the list, too. You could swing through NH and hit Wilderness as well. It would make a fantastic trilogy of classic New England ski areas. Wilderness has a fine hotel that is worth the overnight stay. Skiing is included in the price of a room (or was when I was last there).

 

Missing New England in Colorado (yes, really).

post #10 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by qcanoe View Post
 

Hokey POV from first run, with New Year's Eve twist. (Hint: turn on audio.)

 

 

 

 

great video absolutely awful music.

post #11 of 26
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Matta View Post
 

great video absolutely awful music.

 

I could post a hundred videos with what some would probably consider old-fart music of one sort or another, and it still wouldn't begin to make up for the years, nay decades, of the suffering through atrocious and predictable heavy metal noise that I have submitted myself to simply in order to see decent ski footage. I've gotten to the point that when I go to see a TGR movie or the like I bring earplugs.

 

The song in the background is a Frank Loesser classic from 1947. Rufus seems to want to make a virtue out of not making the least effort to prettify his voice. I kind of like it.  À chacun son goût. Let's just say that if I polled video critics and music critics about my clip I'd get way more thumbs down for the video than for the music. :)  

post #12 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by MastersRacer View Post
 

I love it. I used to ski Abrams in the mid 90s when it was the telemark capital of Maine.

 

Gortanator, put Saddleback on the list, too. You could swing through NH and hit Wilderness as well. It would make a fantastic trilogy of classic New England ski areas. Wilderness has a fine hotel that is worth the overnight stay. Skiing is included in the price of a room (or was when I was last there).

 

Missing New England in Colorado (yes, really).

Unfortunately Balsam's has gone under...there are rumors of a reopening down the road....

post #13 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrstrat57 View Post
 

Unfortunately Balsam's has gone under...there are rumors of a reopening down the road....

 

That is sad to hear. I enjoyed the Balsams. Here's hoping they get back up and running.

post #14 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by MastersRacer View Post
 

 

That is sad to hear. I enjoyed the Balsams. Here's hoping they get back up and running.

 

It's been a few years now. Things are not looking good for them.

post #15 of 26

That is sad. It is a classic resort hotel. I hope it is at least preserved to some degree.

post #16 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by qcanoe View Post
 

 

I could post a hundred videos with what some would probably consider old-fart music of one sort or another, and it still wouldn't begin to make up for the years, nay decades, of the suffering through atrocious and predictable heavy metal noise that I have submitted myself to simply in order to see decent ski footage. I've gotten to the point that when I go to see a TGR movie or the like I bring earplugs.

 

The song in the background is a Frank Loesser classic from 1947. Rufus seems to want to make a virtue out of not making the least effort to prettify his voice. I kind of like it.  À chacun son goût. Let's just say that if I polled video critics and music critics about my clip I'd get way more thumbs down for the video than for the music. :)  

 

 

I actually hate heavy metal...

post #17 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by MastersRacer View Post
 

That is sad. It is a classic resort hotel. I hope it is at least preserved to some degree.

 

Then don't read this - http://nhpr.org/post/another-setback-balsams-financing

 

Such a pretty place.

post #18 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by MastersRacer View Post
 

I love it. I used to ski Abrams in the mid 90s when it was the telemark capital of Maine.

 

Gortanator, put Saddleback on the list, too. You could swing through NH and hit Wilderness as well. It would make a fantastic trilogy of classic New England ski areas. Wilderness has a fine hotel that is worth the overnight stay. Skiing is included in the price of a room (or was when I was last there).

 

Missing New England in Colorado (yes, really).

I looked up Wilderness Inn.  There is one in N. Woodstock, near where I am.  They offer lift tickets for Cannon (my mountain) and Loon.  They may have had their own trails and lifts at one time, but no more, if I've got the right place.


Edited by LiquidFeet - 12/31/13 at 3:56pm
post #19 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by qcanoe View Post
 

 

I could post a hundred videos with what some would probably consider old-fart music of one sort or another, and it still wouldn't begin to make up for the years, nay decades, of the suffering through atrocious and predictable heavy metal noise that I have submitted myself to simply in order to see decent ski footage. I've gotten to the point that when I go to see a TGR movie or the like I bring earplugs.

 

The song in the background is a Frank Loesser classic from 1947. Rufus seems to want to make a virtue out of not making the least effort to prettify his voice. I kind of like it.  À chacun son goût. Let's just say that if I polled video critics and music critics about my clip I'd get way more thumbs down for the video than for the music. :)  

 

 

DITTO on the music and looks like you had a great day. :beercheer:

post #20 of 26
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidFeet View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MastersRacer View Post

 
I love it. I used to ski Abrams in the mid 90s when it was the telemark capital of Maine.

Gortanator, put Saddleback on the list, too. You could swing through NH and hit Wilderness as well. It would make a fantastic trilogy of classic New England ski areas. Wilderness has a fine hotel that is worth the overnight stay. Skiing is included in the price of a room (or was when I was last there).

Missing New England in Colorado (yes, really).
I looked up Wilderness Inn.  There is one in N. Woodstock, near where I am.  They offer lift tickets for Cannon (my mountain) and Loon.  They may have had their own trails and lifts at one time, but no more, if I've got the right place.

Think you're off on the wrong track here, LF. I think MR was referring to the ski area in Dixville Notch, property of the Balsams hotel, called Wilderness.
post #21 of 26

Oh.

post #22 of 26
Thread Starter 
post #23 of 26
Qcanoe, you are correct. A grand hotel. And a nice ski area.
post #24 of 26

Balsams was the only place my parents would ski when they got older (70's-80's). They groomed the mountain meticulously but always left a few trails ungroomed. Light crowds kept the mountain in good shape all day long. Id really like to see the ski area come back at least.

 

Oh and nice TR on Mt. Abrams. I've never skied there myself but it looks like a fun place to ski.

post #25 of 26

Nice report and vids! By all accounts Abram was the place to be. Shawnee was rumored to have received a nice healthy dose but it was sitting on sheets of ice.  

post #26 of 26
We left SR to grab brunch at the Rt 2 Diner in Rumford Center, glad Mt Abrams got the overflow!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Trip Reports
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › EpicSki Community › Trip Reports  › Maine Powder Sweetness - Mt. Abram