or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Après-Ski › Helmets required at ski area!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Helmets required at ski area! - Page 2

post #31 of 56
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sibhusky View Post

I've got a helmet cracked and covered with blood hanging over my tuning bench to remind me what could have been. The forum's been told the story repeatedly. Prior to that, I always said I'd take it off on a warm day. I didn't, thank God.

Helmets don't prevent rotational forces. You have no idea what would have happened. There's no science behind what you're saying. People die/suffer tbi's all the time with helmets on. Blood is actually irrelevant. It just makes it "look" bad. It's the unseen damage that's happening inside your skull as your brain slams around that is the problem. 

 

I'm NOT against helmets. Just saying their value is exaggerated by people who don't understand that most of the damage including fatal damage takes place from the brain slamming inside the skull suddenly.(ie a concussion) Think of an egg. You can protect the shell all you want, but that yolk is still going to get damaged from the sudden violent shaking. A helmet's main thing is to prevent skull fracture. For example landing on a curb with the back of you head. A helmet will help with sharp impacts like if someone hit you over the head with a hockey stick. Landing on your head on the snow is much different type of injury and a helmet will have little benefit. Just the way it would have little benefit if you are punched you in the chin. Rotational force.

 

Therefore, I don't think people should be FORCED to wear helmets. If you choose to wear one than that is your decision. I'm not saying they have no value. They do, but certainly not enough to call someone an idiot for not wearing one for example. Their benefit is limited in skiing. Especially if you're not skiing very fast and avoiding the terrain park. A helmet is of enormous benefit in the terrain park. But the terrain park is a dangerous place. You would be safer with NO helmet just cruising trails than wearing a helmet and being in a terrain park. A helmet is also of  benefit if you're skiing tight tree's like on the east coast. But then again running into a tree with your head is a really bad. If you're that worried and think people should be forced to wear helmets, I'd just avoid tree skiing, not add a helmet and think you're good to go. 

 

It really depends on what you're doing. Skiing a wide open trail at slower speeds? A helmet has little benefit.

 

If you CHOOSE to wear a helmet that is totally fine! My only issue and the point of this thread was that it's ridiculous to force adults to wear one. 


Edited by Ricardo Snowmen - 12/24/13 at 7:50pm
post #32 of 56

  Darn buggers seem to pop up everywhere!! :D

 

 

   zenny

post #33 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane View Post

Serious question for you Sib?  Just looking for straight forward, honest answers.
I really do want to know your thoughts having likely survived as the result of wearing a helmet.
I am not trolling.


Do you ski more agressively with a helmet?
Did you change when/where/how you skied after donning a helmet?
Would you ski more conservatively with out a helmet now?

In 2 sentences (reader's digest version as I haven't read your accident report)...what caused your crash?
Can't say that I ski more aggressively with a helmet. I got it because a summer race camp said it was required, wore it because I'd paid for it. Always said I'd take it off on a fine spring day. The more I skied once I moved to Montana, the more comfortable I got with speed. Then one fine day an unseen rock or root removed my ski on a green/blue connector and I didn't have time to react before the lack of ski interfered with the ability to follow the turn in the trail. I was going fast following a friend and went tearing through a section I had been over several times that day, so was pretty cocky that it was in good shape. Oops.

I would NEVER ski without a helmet now and yes, seven years later if I'm feeling like hot stuff I say, "Now don't get cocky! Dial it back." Also, "Do you want to hit a tree at this speed?" I can't believe how fast I used to tear down Hellfire. Not now, and it's not the trail I crashed on, but there are lots of things to watch even if it's a groomed run. Nothing like 18 months of rehab to make you not want a repeat.

So, skiing for 35 years at that point, green run, going fast, but was confident in the terrain and my abilities. Small root just below the surface and boom. Lights out. Two smashed wrists, plates and pins, nerve damage. Smashed goggles, cracked helmet. Lucky not to be getting my dinner through a straw.
post #34 of 56
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sibhusky View Post



I would NEVER ski without a helmet now and yes, seven years later if I'm feeling like hot stuff I say, "Now don't get cocky! Dial it back." Also, "Do you want to hit a tree at this speed?" I can't believe how fast I used to tear down Hellfire. Not now, and it's not the trail I crashed on, but there are lots of things to watch even if it's a groomed run. Nothing like 18 months of rehab to make you not want a repeat.

It's called experience. Sounds like you're a smarter skier after your injury. Pushing limits and taking crazy risks is idiotic(unless you're getting paid and that's how you put food on the table) and will put you in the hospital. Doesn't matter how good you are. Look at the super g guys or any freestyle team. Their bodies are a mess. Some die, some lose limbs. 

post #35 of 56
I can assure you that ski patrol would not have pulled my ticket. Pushing limits? No, just going fast on an empty green trail.
post #36 of 56
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sibhusky View Post

I can assure you that ski patrol would not have pulled my ticket. Pushing limits? No, just going fast on an empty green trail.

I wasn't talking about you when I was talking about pushing limits. There are a lot of people that have that mentality that get hurt real bad unfortunately.

 

Sib.....If you want to wear a helmet, GO FOR IT!  My issue is with forcing people to do something that has no effect on others. Me not wearing a helmet doesn't make YOU less safe.

post #37 of 56

  Say there Ricardo--is Powder ridge CT your home mountain or your "go to" area?

 

  zenny

post #38 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by GorgeSkier View Post
 

OP, what's your agenda? 

 

 

 He wanted to give society a chance to determine if it should change itself. All he wanted, was for the public to be able to have a say in how they are governed. ;)

post #39 of 56

Skiing must be so bad to get a helmet thread going now.

 

If burning skis is not appeasing Ullr maybe burning helmets will help?  (Please do not waste the virgins.)

post #40 of 56
Big deal. And you do have a choice. Just don't go to that ski resort. It's not like that's the only super good resort that you have to go to. Plus people in the States need to stop sueing people for stupid reasons. That'll help places to stop making ridiculous sounding rules.
post #41 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricardo Snowmen View Post

 My issue is with forcing people to do something that has no effect on others. Me not wearing a helmet doesn't make YOU less safe.
So sue Powder Ridge. Or start a petition telling them it's un-American to require helmets just to protect themselves from liability. It's not a massive conspiracy.

Oh, wait, you left out Powder Ridge's statement about needing to reduce their exposure to personal injury lawsuits. You wouldn't want to let anyone know that this was a business decision and not in the least motivated by any belief about the protective value of helmets. No, better to leave people in the dark and let it be a ruse to pick another fight.

Speaking of which, the reason people think you're a troll is that instead of joining in conversations and engaging people, you started at least three threads within two days of joining the site, all of which are on stereotypically hot-button issues and all of which begin with with a frothing at the mouth rant. Any monkey could see a pattern. You may mean well, but your demeanor doesn't suggest it.

If I find the link to Powder Ridge's statement I'll come back and post it if the thread hasn't been shut down yet.

There, no ad hominem attacks. Some snark, but no more than what drips from almost all of your posts. Go ahead and respond, but I won't be answering. I don't care what you profess.
post #42 of 56
Aha, here's the url (I have no idea how that will work because preview doesn't work on Android):

http://www.firsttracksonline.com/2013/12/24/powder-ridge-mandates-helmets-for-all-guests/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=powder-ridge-mandates-helmets-for-all-guests

“Please understand, It is not our intent or desire to regulate personal safety preferences of our customers, but because we live in a insurance-driven and litigious society, the decision to wear or not to wear a helmet on a mountain that is privately owned is no longer a decision that only affects the individual.” Hayes continues, “I grew up on motorcycles so I understand the value of being able to choose, but unfortunately we are not a public road and therefore are not protected by the government’s no-suit shield. “Unlike other mountains across the country that have primarily a powder base, we are one of the most southern of all the New England ski areas, therefore we are faced with harsher snow conditions than other mountains.”
post #43 of 56

wrong.png

post #44 of 56
Thread Starter 

Of course it's not about safety. It's about a cheaper insurance rate. I thought that was kind of obvious. You say go elsewhere? Yeah, just wait until all/more of the resorts around the country start mandating helmets so they can get a cheaper insurance rate. It's kind of funny how the ski area is not passing on that insurance savings cost onto the consumer. Lift tickets are about the same as every other ski area in ct. In fact 2 other area's in ct are cheaper on some of their weekday tickets

post #45 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricardo Snowmen View Post
 

Of course it's not about safety. It's about a cheaper insurance rate. I thought that was kind of obvious. You say go elsewhere? Yeah, just wait until all/more of the resorts around the country start mandating helmets so they can get a cheaper insurance rate. It's kind of funny how the ski area is not passing on that insurance savings cost onto the consumer. Lift tickets are about the same as every other ski area in ct. In fact 2 other area's in ct are cheaper on some of their weekday tickets

 

I think it's kinda funny that you think that if a ski area that is reopening and is able to get a lower insurance rate that it should translate into a lower lift ticket rate. Do you really think they have no other expenses and are a cheaper to run operation than their competitor's?

post #46 of 56

It's possibly that the resort had to agree to the helmet restrictions so they could afford a insurance premium that would allow them to reopen if they had a unfavorable loss history in the past. Or, it's possible they could not get any insurance issued unless they agreed to the helmet restrictions.

 

While a helmet may not prevent injuries, it may reduce the severity of some injuries and that is reason enough for me to wear one.

post #47 of 56

Perhaps Ricardo snowman is a corporate troll from the new owners of the site who is trying to find out who is naughty and nice.

Many of us who are Resort Ambassadors are aware of area management trools that watch for heresy.

 

Regardless, anyone who argues against helmets from any viewpoint other than Constitutional grounds is just plain dense.

It may be your right to bust your head on your own property but elsewhere that right is not absolute.

Obviously, Ricardo doesn't do gates or he would know another good reason to wear a helmet.

post #48 of 56

Snowmen's profile photo look familiar to anyone else here?  Name that avatar!

post #49 of 56
Better off dead. Ricky Smith. Thank you Google.
post #50 of 56

G44

post #51 of 56

This troll has been sent to banned camp.... and issued a Little Ricky profile photo...

post #52 of 56
I thought he created a new profile?
post #53 of 56

I don't know wether Sib skis more aggressively with or without a helmet, but I can tell you that I don't ski any differently with or without a helmet.   I don't even realize I have it on, or if I ski without it, that I don't have it on.   

 

OOPs, didn't see page 2.  Oh well, my statement still stands.

post #54 of 56
It's been fifteen years since I skied without one. I doubt that IT changed my skiing. The crash definitely did.
post #55 of 56

EVERYONE !!!!!!   should be required to wear a helmet and carry a fully loaded AR15.

post #56 of 56

:duck::popcorn

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Après-Ski
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Après-Ski › Helmets required at ski area!