or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › A larger Speed Course ti???
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

A larger Speed Course ti???

post #1 of 13
Thread Starter 

Since I bought my 2013 Speed Course ti, my other skis are sad because even when it just snowed (east coast snow storm), I have a tendency to still ski my speed course even if I have larger skis (from 76 to 98 mm)...

So my question to you, especially those who own, owned or tried the speed course ti, what skis do you think could be called a larger (or fatter) speed course ti? 

Now keep in mind that I do everything ( almost everything :D) with my speed course: groomed but also trees and bumps...

 

 

p.s. I'm not sure that I should include people who tried the speed course ti but don't own them because it appears evident that they are lacking  judgment...

 

BTW  I wish you all happy holidays!

post #2 of 13

There are a fair number of skis in the range of 72-76mm or so that are in the same performance category as the Course Ti (now called Course Pro). There are also a fair number of 85-88mm skis that have good grip although none except possibly the Nordica FA 84 EDT can match the CP in that regard. Problem is.........when you add a cm. in width, you won't get the same technical feel at turn in and the power and precision at the crossunder. The ski makers automatically build in compromises when you get above that 76-78m threshhold.

 

So.....no. You can get a nice grippy 85-88er but none of them are what the CP and it's technical, carvey brethren are. (that's one reason why race skis are not 85mm underfoot)

 

SJ

post #3 of 13

Kastle makes a real nice ski in the MX88 that holds to hard snow like a Porsche 911 does in a corner. Will it do what the Course Ti will at the Nth degree? No but thats what you have the Course Ti for. If you want to go bigger,,the Rossi Experience 98 has tenacious grip for a 98mm ski. 

post #4 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SierraJim View Post
 

There are a fair number of skis in the range of 72-76mm or so that are in the same performance category as the Course Ti (now called Course Pro). There are also a fair number of 85-88mm skis that have good grip although none except possibly the Nordica FA 84 EDT can match the CP in that regard. Problem is.........when you add a cm. in width, you won't get the same technical feel at turn in and the power and precision at the crossunder. The ski makers automatically build in compromises when you get above that 76-78m threshhold.

 

So.....no. You can get a nice grippy 85-88er but none of them are what the CP and it's technical, carvey brethren are. (that's one reason why race skis are not 85mm underfoot)

 

SJ

Nordica F.A. 84 EDT is definitly a nice machine but I found it less versatile than the Speed Course even if it is larger because of it stiffness...

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philpug View Post
 

Kastle makes a real nice ski in the MX88 that holds to hard snow like a Porsche 911 does in a corner. Will it do what the Course Ti will at the Nth degree? No but thats what you have the Course Ti for. If you want to go bigger,,the Rossi Experience 98 has tenacious grip for a 98mm ski. 

Already got the mx 88 and thinking of selling it...The edges are razor sharp  but I'm having trouble making them "hold" on ice... Don't know if its me...tried a lot of skis one day with icy conditions: tigershark 10 ft, 88xti,fx84,..and they all held good or ok except the mx88...(???)

post #5 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philpug View Post
 

Kastle makes a real nice ski in the MX88 that holds to hard snow like a Porsche 911 does in a corner. Will it do what the Course Ti will at the Nth degree? No but thats what you have the Course Ti for. If you want to go bigger,,the Rossi Experience 98 has tenacious grip for a 98mm ski. 

To continue on same subject...was readind an old thread (2010) where you said the mx88 was your daily driver for eastcoast...but that you were thinking of maybe put a plate on it (kti plate)...did you do it? Did it help for grip?

Also read somewhere Beyoud talking about skiing his mx88 1.5 cm in front of the line...so maybe I'll try that too before selling the skis...

post #6 of 13

Why do you want a larger ski when you already have a ski that lets you ski everything with fun? :rolleyes

post #7 of 13
Thread Starter 

Well because here at Tremblant, I know I can get away with skiing with a 72 mm ski in 1 feet of powder...But I'm not sure it will be the same story when I'll go to Jay (for the glades) or get into bigger storms...or want to get a little further out of the trails...

post #8 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by mogsie View Post
 

To continue on same subject...was readind an old thread (2010) where you said the mx88 was your daily driver for eastcoast...but that you were thinking of maybe put a plate on it (kti plate)...did you do it? Did it help for grip?

Also read somewhere Beyoud talking about skiing his mx88 1.5 cm in front of the line...so maybe I'll try that too before selling the skis...

Never did that. There is a fine line between what you can do and what you should do. 

post #9 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jzamp View Post
 

Why do you want a larger ski when you already have a ski that lets you ski everything with fun? :rolleyes

 

Because he's mogsie, and this is just what he does. (Not the only one on this board, I hasten to add.)

post #10 of 13

Quick comment on the MX88. Yep, mine were mounted 1.5 forward, I think, but that largely reflected my liking BOF in non-rockered skis. Maybe not for someone bigger. Also random thought about a bigger Speed Course Ti: Wasn't it called the Legend Pro? The 105's are still around new, if you search. Once in a while I see the older 100's new. And a slew of XXL's in longer lengths if you want to go big or go home...

post #11 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philpug View Post
 

Never did that. There is a fine line between what you can do and what you should do. 

The more I think about it and the more I like the idea... I wouldn't mount a kti marker plate ( too stiff I think) but more like the plate that I have on my speed course ti...I think it would improve its edge hold without stiffening it too much... Don't know if I could install my K12 on that plate?

post #12 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by qcanoe View Post
 

 

Because he's mogsie, and this is just what he does. (Not the only one on this board, I hasten to add.)

Yep,I'm Mogsie and there is no cure for that!

Animated by JO GRAHAM 1999

post #13 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by beyond View Post
 

Quick comment on the MX88. Yep, mine were mounted 1.5 forward, I think, but that largely reflected my liking BOF in non-rockered skis. Maybe not for someone bigger Why?. Also random thought about a bigger Speed Course Ti: Wasn't it called the Legend Pro? The 105's are still around new, if you search. Once in a while I see the older 100's new. And a slew of XXL's in longer lengths if you want to go big or go home...

Funny! I was checking similar skis (I think?) last day: the 2008 Mythic rider...They really look nice and they seem like charger but I'm not sure about versatility...

 

To what point would you say the edge grip of the mx 88 is on hard eastern ice  compare to the mx78 ( or else?)? Because maybe I'm just asking too much for that ski?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › A larger Speed Course ti???