or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › EpicSki Community › Skiing News › EpicSki gets the EpicRace Scoop
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

EpicSki gets the EpicRace Scoop

post #1 of 16
Thread Starter 

Phil and I happened to stumble upon Mark Greenstein as he made his final turns at his 27th Vail Resort - Yes I said 27th!.

 

 

According to the EpicRace leaderboard, he's only done 20 resorts but he has documentation to show his journey......

Here is his story. -Mark Greenstein

 

post #2 of 16

It was great to meet Mark. He was is a super nice guy and has really enjoyed the journey. 

post #3 of 16

Good job Phil.  That guy sounds like a character with a good sense of humor.  Heck of a 50th birthday present to himself!  Is there anything in the race rules that says hiking for your turns at a resort doesn't count as having skied it?

post #4 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesj View Post
 

Good job Phil.  That guy sounds like a character with a good sense of humor.  Heck of a 50th birthday present to himself!  Is there anything in the race rules that says hiking for your turns at a resort doesn't count as having skied it?


In the beginning of the race the rules said that the resorts had to be open, but then Vail (If I'm understanding this correctly) changed it so that you could hike to ski, because Kirkwood and Northstar weren't open yet, and they added other activities you could do at the resorts, like ice skating, getting your picture taken with the Avy Dog.....

 

Whats cool is that he did it all and has it documented, but he's happy to have done them all even if Vail isn't flexible about his Euro resorts.

post #5 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekchick View Post


In the beginning of the race the rules said that the resorts had to be open, but then Vail (If I'm understanding this correctly) changed it so that you could hike to ski, because Kirkwood and Northstar weren't open yet, and they added other activities you could do at the resorts, like ice skating, getting your picture taken with the Avy Dog.....

Whats cool is that he did it all and has it documented, but he's happy to have done them all even if Vail isn't flexible about his Euro resorts.
Mark was in very good spirits about it all and just really has been enjoying the experience. Personally, at this point, I would shoot back to those resorts just for the insurance. We are talking a lifetime pass here...worth a thousand in travel "insurance".
post #6 of 16

Thanks for the wisdom.  I can't get back to France, as my Dad gets a new live-in caregiver this weekend and I'm his only family member to supervise.

 

Hiking for turns was within the rules originally.  Or put it this way...it wasn't outside the rules, and I know of at least six competitors who countenanced it early on.  VR HAD to assume intrepid skiers such as those who'd compete in this would consider hiking to do their resort visits.  Heck, on the very day I first hiked (some gratuitous pre-opening turns at Beaver Creek) NPR broadcast a story about how Colorado resorts are looking for permission to charge a fee for uphill hikers who ski down.  VR people surely are cognizant of this if it can make it on that cutting-edge ski reporting of NPR!

 

Still skiing...day 29 (in Connecticut, my 10th state of the trip, is tomorrow. 6" of fresh await.

 

MarkG

post #7 of 16

MarkG,

 

your attitude and good spirit makes you a winner in this race. VR can change rules as they please since the "Epic Race" is their marketing invention. But you ventured out and did what makes you happy. I hope that VR recognizes this and recognizes the fact that they are in the business of making people happy doing what they love doing - skiing - not just visiting resorts.

post #8 of 16

Phil can be my lawyer -- he brings up a good legal/moral point: ...VR CHANGED the rules, by letting people count visits (to closed Caif Resorts) before they were open.  So even without the hikes, my extra 3 Vallees visits were timely.  VR has been cool and has included them at his point, so I'm one of 60 or so with 25 of 26 resorts skied. 

 

 I actually skied Brides-Les-Bains and visited the town too -- I was there before any other competitor.  Heck I STAYED in Brides Les Bains 4 nights (one in the car, and 3 in the Hotel Amelie).  But there's now a scavenger hunt taking place there and I'm back home in Connecticut, so it looks like I'm on the sidelines.  Too bad.  It's been fun though.

post #9 of 16

Oh well, let's keep lawyers out of this - for now :)

post #10 of 16
Thread Starter 

@Mark Greenstein You're a winner in our book, no matter what happens in this event.  

post #11 of 16
And the winners are ...
post #12 of 16
Thread Starter 

It looks like Vail Resorts is sorting this out and making updates and (for now) @Mark Greenstein  is #3

:yahoo:

post #13 of 16

I am surprised how many people finished. I am not sure Vail expected this. 

post #14 of 16

What is the latest scoop ? 

Is it still valid that everybody who finishes the race this season gets a season pass? 

post #15 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by goranmilos View Post
 

What is the latest scoop ? 

Is it still valid that everybody who finishes the race this season gets a season pass? 

From what I understand, they are sorting out the folks in the top 10 (or more) to "qualify" the winners.  

With so many who hit all 26 resorts, I'm sure they have a LOT to sort out and try to avoid any reason to appeal the results. 

https://epicrace.epicpass.com/leaderboard

post #16 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekchick View Post
 

 

With so many who hit all 26 resorts, I'm sure they have a LOT to sort out and try to avoid any reason to appeal the results. 

 

Agree.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Skiing News
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › EpicSki Community › Skiing News › EpicSki gets the EpicRace Scoop