or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › Mountain/Resort Related Forums › Resorts, Conditions & Travel › Copper opening 500 acres today including Resolution, Union and Spaulding Bowls
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Copper opening 500 acres today including Resolution, Union and Spaulding Bowls

post #1 of 27
Thread Starter 

Wow, this will be a great day to be at Copper!   Yesterday they reported 651 acres open.  Today it's 1153!

 

http://www.coppercolorado.com/winter/the_mountain/dom/snow.html

 

There's going to be a lot of freshies to be had today.  I can't make it, but I hope you can!

post #2 of 27
Thread Starter 

Here's a picture from the bottom of Resolution when it opened last year:

 

 

That was Feb 1, 2013.  Fun, fun, day.  Resolution is opening six and a half weeks earlier this year!  

 

It's going to be an amazing day at Copper today.  Let's see some pics from the fortunate that make it.

post #3 of 27

awesome!

post #4 of 27

Aaaaaahhhhhhhhhh, and I'm in Chicago ..... 

 

Two years ago we were there when Reso opened (so was @bumpfreaq ), and that was the crappy day at the end of January when the skiers died at Vail and Mary Jane. 

 

Have at it, everyone!

post #5 of 27
Thread Starter 

Come on... somebody's got to get some!  Take the fattest skis you got and keep your speed up.  If you have to stop, do it on a steeper section.

 

Last year the top 1/4 of Reso was like a slalom course around all the people litterly stuck in waist deep snow.  It was rather comical.   I took the picture above waiting for my buddy who was stuck on a flat spot that took him 10 mins to break trail out of.   I know... I waited all of two mins then caught him two laps later.

post #6 of 27

oh crap! I can't ski today. Hmm, any bears headed over?  I may be able to hit it Sunday

post #7 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by segbrown View Post
 

Aaaaaahhhhhhhhhh, and I'm in Chicago ..... 

 

Two years ago we were there when Reso opened (so was @bumpfreaq ), and that was the crappy day at the end of January when the skiers died at Vail and Mary Jane. 

 

Have at it, everyone!

 

 

I think the Ambassador should be there to document this event.......

post #8 of 27
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by segbrown View Post
 

Two years ago we were there when Reso opened (so was @bumpfreaq ), and that was the crappy day at the end of January when the skiers died at Vail and Mary Jane. 

 

 

Not to be a downer, but be careful out there today.  If there is going to be an inbounds slide at Copper, this would likely be the day on the steeps on Spaulding, Union and the top of Reso.

 

Copper has been very conservative about opening terrain after doing directed skiing so far this year.   While I'm sure they have done a really good job of avy control on everything, don't believe they have done directed skiing yet on most of what is opening today and they are just dropping most the ropes.   Today would be a good day to be wearing a beacon and to have an avalung.

 

On second look... I suspect they will be doing some directed skiing today and over the next few days based on the snow report.  That's all the more reason to wear a beacon.  There are patrollers right there and can quickly pluck you out if they can find you!


Edited by tball - 12/13/13 at 8:14am
post #9 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finndog View Post
 

 

 

I think the Ambassador should be there to document this event.......

Me too.

post #10 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by segbrown View Post
 

Me too.

 

 

just put some down on  Thumbs Up

post #11 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finndog View Post
 

 

 

just put some down on  Thumbs Up

ha ... I'm a city girl now, rocking the camelhair overcoat instead.

 

Mr Segbrown sent this from his office

 

post #12 of 27

so, makeup, hair done (no hat) and everything?   Oh noooooooooo:D  

post #13 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finndog View Post
 

so, makeup, hair done (no hat) and everything?   Oh noooooooooo:D  

 

Amazing, I know. 

post #14 of 27

how are you holding up?  Any shakes, nervous twitches? 

post #15 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by tball View Post
 

 

Not to be a downer, but be careful out there today.  If there is going to be an inbounds slide at Copper, this would likely be the day on the steeps on Spaulding, Union and the top of Reso.

 

Copper has been very conservative about opening terrain after doing directed skiing so far this year.   While I'm sure they have done a really good job of avy control on everything, don't believe they have done directed skiing yet on most of what is opening today and they are just dropping most the ropes.   Today would be a good day to be wearing a beacon and to have an avalung.

 

On second look... I suspect they will be doing some directed skiing today and over the next few days based on the snow report.  That's all the more reason to wear a beacon.  There are patrollers right there and can quickly pluck you out if they can find you!

there has been some directed skiing on most of this....I haven't seen tracks on Union but I've made 3 runs on the upper part of Reso (on 2 different days) cutting out on the slot car track at ski patrols direction and I've seen enough tracks on Spaulding to know that someone besides ski patrol has been in there so directed skiing appear to have happened up there as well.

post #16 of 27
Thread Starter 

^^^ Good to know, thanks.  Nice reminder that as the base gets to that magical 30 inches it pays just to be there, even when it happens earlier than usual.   Ya gotta be there in the first place to be at the right place at the right time!  Unfortunately for me life isn't going to let me ski much until after the new year.

post #17 of 27
I'll be rockin the beacon today for sure!
post #18 of 27
Thread Starter 

Today Copper is opening the Alpine lift and associated runs for the first time this season.   That's another 250 or so acres that hasn't been open to the public yet this year.  Only an inch of new snow this morning, so it might be a little manky but still really fun skiing be really fun.   Spaulding Bowl and Resolution have been closed since last weekend and are opening back up today.

 

Again... I can't make it, arg.  Next year I'm planning a ski day or two the Thursday/Friday before Christmas hoping to hit some openings -- just put it on my calendar.   This is a good example of how often terrain is closed early season more for budget reasons than snow.   Blue Sky opened at Vail yesterday.  Same deal.  They need to get this terrain open (and tracked up) before the xmas crowds show up, and I'll be ready to help next year!

post #19 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by tball View Post
 

Today Copper is opening the Alpine lift and associated runs for the first time this season.   That's another 250 or so acres that hasn't been open to the public yet this year.  Only an inch of new snow this morning, so it might be a little manky but still really fun skiing be really fun.   Spaulding Bowl and Resolution have been closed since last weekend and are opening back up today.

 

Again... I can't make it, arg.  Next year I'm planning a ski day or two the Thursday/Friday before Christmas hoping to hit some openings -- just put it on my calendar.   This is a good example of how often terrain is closed early season more for budget reasons than snow.   Blue Sky opened at Vail yesterday.  Same deal.  They need to get this terrain open (and tracked up) before the xmas crowds show up, and I'll be ready to help next year!

Resolution will suck big time except maybe Cabin Chute will be decent.  It was awful last week and the runs directly under the lift have maybe 8-10 inches of "snow" down at the bottom.... they need feet of snow to make those runs worth skiing.  A should be better since it doesn't faces SE like most of the Reso runs but Resolution basically sucks.  It's suitable on rock skis but not really worth it......

 

We are in much better shape than last year but we need snow and need it bad.

post #20 of 27
Thread Starter 

Sorry if I was a little too stokey.   I do think A will be really nice today, especially on wider skis.   Any day you hit an opening is a good day in my book.  A lift should have nice bumps this weekend too.  I was surprised when they opened Reso before A, usually it's the other way around because of the exposure.  I guess with the DH course at the speed center still running they couldn't give access to A yet.

post #21 of 27

I am guessing A will be super manky. I've skied it early opening before, and it was ... interesting. The top is fine, but the bottom is always awkward, and ends up with lots of bushes and bottomless slabby snow. But who knows, Copper has seemed to be letting people poach without consequence quite a bit so far this year (can I say that out loud? -- not in avy terrain, tho), and I bet it's been skied a bunch already. Plus you can hike it off hours from the bottom, so it's probably been packed a little bit already. I really don't know, haven't been out that way at all. 

post #22 of 27

No problem...I was excited about reso opening last week as well but then I skied it and decided to stay on Brennans and Mine Dump.  Basically we had a great early season but conditions are deteriorating fast.  Lots of stuff coming up through the snow.  They were doing directed skiing in Union last week and the skiers job was to compact the faceted unsupportive snow and find the rocks....were there some good turns...yes but not many since the snow was mostly facets with no supportive layers and I just broke through to the ground in spots.  We need feet of snow to get the mountain back in good shape and the models don't look good.  My guess is the A will be soft but it won't be like skiing pow and many folks will be breaking through to the ground.  

 

All that being said, I'll be out there skiing whatever is open for the weekend and trying to find good lines.....I won't be looking for untracked though.

post #23 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by UGASkiDawg View Post
 

No problem...I was excited about reso opening last week as well but then I skied it and decided to stay on Brennans and Mine Dump.  Basically we had a great early season but conditions are deteriorating fast.  Lots of stuff coming up through the snow.  They were doing directed skiing in Union last week and the skiers job was to compact the faceted unsupportive snow and find the rocks....were there some good turns...yes but not many since the snow was mostly facets with no supportive layers and I just broke through to the ground in spots.  We need feet of snow to get the mountain back in good shape and the models don't look good.  My guess is the A will be soft but it won't be like skiing pow and many folks will be breaking through to the ground.  

 

All that being said, I'll be out there skiing whatever is open for the weekend and trying to find good lines.....I won't be looking for untracked though.

I even wonder if it will be soft, with the cold weather and the wind and the warm weather ... doesn't sound like a good recipe. But I guess it's pretty protected from wind and sun over there....   You'll definitely have no base, though, unless a lot more people than I think have already been there. 

post #24 of 27
Thread Starter 

Just got a call from my buddy I flaked on and he said it's snowing pretty good at Copper and the skiing is great, even Reso is pretty nice.   Arrrrgggg.

 

http://www.coppercolorado.com/winter/the_mountain/snow_stake_cam

 

Looks like it might hit four inches, so non-Copper skiers might consider getting a $99 snow day pass tomorrow if it does:

http://www.coppercolorado.com/winter/plan_and_buy/season_passes/snowdaypass/index.html/

post #25 of 27

Looks like we are up to about 6-7 at 10:30 and its still snowing moderately in Frisco..... with more predicted tomorrow this should make it ski well for the next few days... fingers crossed for over a foot total by Sunday.

post #26 of 27
Today was tasty.

Mike
post #27 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by habacomike View Post

Today was tasty.

Mike

Great news! I couldn't believe how much it snowed, I thought they were in for an inch or two. Glad you got it. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Resorts, Conditions & Travel
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › Mountain/Resort Related Forums › Resorts, Conditions & Travel › Copper opening 500 acres today including Resolution, Union and Spaulding Bowls