or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › General Skiing Discussion › Windshield wipers pulled up and away from the windshield, dumb idea.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Windshield wipers pulled up and away from the windshield, dumb idea. - Page 5

post #121 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by CluelessGaper59 View Post
 

I have no idea what you people are talking about. When I am skiing in a storm, I just go back to my car, open up the door, close it again, and all the fluffy snowflakes just tumble IN TO THE FRONT SEAT OF THE CAR BEFORE I CAN GET THE DOOR COMPLETELY SHUT.

fixed it for you CG!

post #122 of 145

I started the car and didn't notice the wipers were on , It ruined the motor because the wipers were froze to the windshield , I would say .... Turn the wipers off and it probably won't matter /

post #123 of 145

I'll just leave this here:

6n4kIFJ.jpg

post #124 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by freeski919 View Post

As an employee at Stowe, if I were to start my car then leave it idling while I scraped my windows, I could be fired. Idling your car is against mountain policy, and is enforced by termination. So my wipers go up.


 



I love this.

It should be a policy for EVERY SKI RESORT in the country, big or small - and not only for employees but for guests as well. I have seen those ginormous SUV's parked in the drop off area idling their engines while parents take a good 15 minutes loading and unloading all their kids gear. I always wonder why they can't just turn their engines off.

Of course, termination is a bit harsh but perhaps some sort of warning.
post #125 of 145

Put a Idle timer on the auto. Shut down after 3 minutes. Unless you bleep the throttle.

post #126 of 145
Thread Starter 

Cars don't need to sit there warming up for 15, I see people keeping their motors running as the get dressed to go skiing. It does not take but a moment to warm up the windshield and defog the windows. If no one can do this, then people will be taking off with fogged windshields and not see people in the parking lot, thus running them over, that is a high price to pay to have a feel good green rush. If you want a feel good green, nothing wrong with green, wish more people would be, then do as I do and car pool to the mountain. Most pollution is made from the drive to and from the mountain, not de-foging and cleaning your windshield. I have never had a problem with my wipers sticking to the windshield or any one I know, I was thinking it was a myth. 

post #127 of 145
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by CluelessGaper59 View Post
 

I'll just leave this here:

6n4kIFJ.jpg

This person has ice on their blades so what is different? Oh but if they do leave their wipers on it would be I guess.

post #128 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfifield View Post
 

This person has ice on their blades so what is different? Oh but if they do leave their wipers on it would be I guess.

I really have no idea how it relates to the up vs. down debate, that's why I couldn't even come up with a comment. It just seemed like a picture this thread really needed to see, even if I can't articulate exactly why.

 

Maybe the moral of the story is that beyond a certain point, even putting your wipers up will not help you.:dunno

post #129 of 145
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by CluelessGaper59 View Post
 

I really have no idea how it relates to the up vs. down debate, that's why I couldn't even come up with a comment. It just seemed like a picture this thread really needed to see, even if I can't articulate exactly why.

 

Maybe the moral of the story is that beyond a certain point, even putting your wipers up will not help you.:dunno

Yes that is the point.

post #130 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by CluelessGaper59 View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfifield View Post
 

This person has ice on their blades so what is different? Oh but if they do leave their wipers on it would be I guess.

I really have no idea how it relates to the up vs. down debate, that's why I couldn't even come up with a comment. It just seemed like a picture this thread really needed to see, even if I can't articulate exactly why.

 

Maybe the moral of the story is that beyond a certain point, even putting your wipers up will not help you.:dunno

 

In the picture shown, having the wipers up *does* help, because it allows a person to clear the cabin air intake of ice before starting the car.  

 

Y'all must be really really confident in your engine management computers and oxy sensors - 'coz 25 years ago idling a car sheathed like that would have been a carbon monoxide death trap. 

post #131 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by cantunamunch View Post
 

 

In the picture shown, having the wipers up *does* help, because it allows a person to clear the cabin air intake of ice before starting the car.  

 

Y'all must be really really confident in your engine management computers and oxy sensors - 'coz 25 years ago idling a car sheathed like that would have been a carbon monoxide death trap. 

 

Actually recycling the cabin air to get faster heat up is the way to go not pulling in cold outside air.

 

Yeah..we'all very confident that the re-circ button on all modern vehicle heating systems won't kill us.

 

Leave the wipers alone.  Turn on car when you get back from skiing. By the time you change the defroster will be working and the windshield, mirrors and rear view will be clear, car will be safe.  Unsafe to drive until you have heat for defrost

post #132 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfifield View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by CluelessGaper59 View Post
 

I really have no idea how it relates to the up vs. down debate, that's why I couldn't even come up with a comment. It just seemed like a picture this thread really needed to see, even if I can't articulate exactly why.

 

Maybe the moral of the story is that beyond a certain point, even putting your wipers up will not help you.:dunno

Yes that is the point.

 

You seem to feel very strongly about this wipers up or down issue.  I wonder why?  

I mean does a little part of your soul die whenever you see that some random stranger has left their own wipers up on their own car?

post #133 of 145

:o I put mine up last night.

post #134 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfifield View Post

 

I have never had a problem with my wipers sticking to the windshield or any one I know, I was thinking it was a myth. 

If you've never had that problem, you could ask others if they have the problem. The answer to that, you've known by now, is MANY people had experienced that. 

 

But instead, you went ahead and say it's useless based on your very limited information. So clearly, you didn't know enough people! ;) 

post #135 of 145
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by at_nyc View Post

If you've never had that problem, you could ask others if they have the problem. The answer to that, you've known by now, is MANY people had experienced that. 

 

But instead, you went ahead and say it's useless based on your very limited information. So clearly, you didn't know enough people! " src="/img/vbsmilies/smilies/wink.gif"> 

 



No I was just having fun being a smart ass like a bunch of people here have been. Besides from what I see of the Barking Bear Forum it is a tradition to argue a point to death here.
post #136 of 145
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skierish View Post

 

You seem to feel very strongly about this wipers up or down issue.  I wonder why?  

I mean does a little part of your soul die whenever you see that some random stranger has left their own wipers up on their own car?

 



Actually my first post was to warn people that they could lose their wipers in a storm, and I got a ton of shit for it, maybe I could have worded it better but I got a lot of emotional responses, so evidently many people feel strongly about putting them up. I conceded and said I now can see why some people put them up. But there appears to be two things that are a tradition at this forum, one is arguing a point to death and the other is attacking someone you don’t agree with. Not to sound like I don’t appreciate all the smart ass comments, if that is the way things are I may as well have fun with it too. It is all good. There are also a lot of people that simply want to exchange information and there is a lot of good information at the BB. Up down whatever, as I said before if it works for you fine.
Edited by tomfifield - 2/5/14 at 10:44pm
post #137 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfifield View Post

Actually my first post was to warn people that they could lose their wipers in a storm...blah, blah, blah.... 

 

Ah, The PSA warning is duly noted.  

I like to live dangerously, though, so I think I'll continue to revel in the thrill of courting catastrophe by putting them up!

post #138 of 145
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skierish View Post

 

You seem to feel very strongly about this wipers up or down issue.  I wonder why?  

I mean does a little part of your soul die whenever you see that some random stranger has left their own wipers down on their own car?

 


Back at you, nuck nuck nuck wooo wooo woo oh Moe!

Even more fun;

Some schools are banning paints that hang down low showing the kid’s under paints, often the kids wear two pairs of under paints both showing. A lot of people say “pull up your paints”. What do you think UP or DOWN?
post #139 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfifield View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skierish View Post
 

 

You seem to feel very strongly about this wipers up or down issue.  I wonder why?  

I mean does a little part of your soul die whenever you see that some random stranger has left their own wipers down on their own car?

 


Back at you, nuck nuck nuck wooo wooo woo oh Moe!

Even more fun;

Some schools are banning paints that hang down low showing the kid’s under paints, often the kids wear two pairs of under paints both showing. A lot of people say “pull up your paints”. What do you think UP or DOWN?


Are we talking spray paint, paint applied with a roller, or paint applied with a brush?

Painting UP with spray paint is fine if you don't over-apply and create drips.

Roller and brush applied paints should only go on DOWN because drips are much more likely.

With two pairs of paints, by the way, the lighter ones should go on first, then the darker ones, because the first color won't bleed through as much.

post #140 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elistan View Post
 

 

With two pairs of paints, by the way, the lighter ones should go on first, then the darker ones, because the first color won't bleed through as much.

Well, that depends, are we talking about oil-based pants, or latex pants?

post #141 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfifield View Post

Some schools are banning paints that hang down low showing the kid’s under paints, often the kids wear two pairs of under paints both showing. A lot of people say “pull up your paints”. What do you think UP or DOWN?

 

Unless it's finger-paint, I don't think kids should be allowed to wear paints at all...up or down.

post #142 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfifield View Post
 
 
No I was just having fun being a smart ass like a bunch of people here have been. Besides from what I see of the Barking Bear Forum it is a tradition to argue a point to death here.

 

So I left my wipers down last night. We got about an inch of light, fluffy i am telling you lighter than Utah, maybe more like champagne powder, but I've never been to Steamboat, they tell me it's nice? anyways it was soo light i blew it off my door, started the car and, immediately without a warm up or scraper, cleared the windshield WITH THE WIPERS!!!!! Sorry for shouting, I am really confused now, what should I do tomorrow?

post #143 of 145

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy View Post
 

 

So I left my wipers down last night. We got about an inch of light, fluffy i am telling you lighter than Utah, maybe more like champagne powder, but I've never been to Steamboat, they tell me it's nice?

 

Be sure to leave them down all through the gathering on the 21st:yahoo:

:snowfall

:Ott

post #144 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by CluelessGaper59 View Post
 

Well, that depends, are we talking about oil-based pants, or latex pants?


I'd guess Depends are neither - probably something like vinyl. 

post #145 of 145
Thread Starter 
Opps, pants mad.gif:rolleyes:D
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Skiing Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › General Skiing Discussion › Windshield wipers pulled up and away from the windshield, dumb idea.