When does the blue sky basin at Vail usually open?
- itemVail Resorttagged by Laurel Hill Crazie, 12/9/13
Related Forum Threads
- Where should I go for a ski vacation? [Feb family trip, non-skiing mom, from MA] Last post on 10/8/16 at 6:28am in General Skiing Discussion
- Trip in Feb. Need advice on when to buy passes [family, 4 ski days at Vail, Keystone, Breck] Last post on 9/11/16 at 6:34pm in Resorts, Conditions & Travel
- Vail vs Alta/Bird Last post on 9/13/16 at 7:21pm in Resorts, Conditions & Travel
- The "Park City Effect": UT Records Best Skier Visits Last post on 7/27/16 at 8:19pm in Skiing News
- The Bunkhouse, Vail's first and only boutique hostel opening May 26th. Last post on 10/1/16 at 6:15pm in Resorts, Conditions & Travel
2016/17 Multi-Pass Options
Last edited: 10/17/16
- The Future of Jay Peak and Burke Mountain ResortLast edited: 6/15/16
Great performance , tecnica design is outstanding
The Cyclic is now in its 4th season with the only change being the top sheet graphics each year. No reason to change this ski, it is nearly flawless. Wider tip with rocker, camber, and tail rocker...
Nord-Dobe-Spitfire Pro EDT. GOD-HELL !! This is another ONE. Smooth. Damp. Grip. NO Chatter -At All. Warp-Drive. Nice transition from slip to grip. BIG SWEET SPOT. These were also the...
This is my home resort so I admit, I'm biased. But, I have been skiing seriously at Sunrise since 2009. It's located in the White Mountains of eastern Arizona. The main towns in the area are...
The mountain was almost lost a few years back, but the rally was made and it seems on solid ground. A very relaxed atmosphere and a nice lodge. Excellent crowded weekend escape from Sunday...
- The Future of Jay Peak and Burke Mountain Resort
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Vail is at least 95% open by Christmas in half of seasons. Vail is at least 93% open in mid-December in a quarter of seasons.
I would not presume that Blue Sky is the last to open. The original back bowl (Chair 5) is moderately steep with a lot of south exposure. The more intermediate pitched China Bowl could provide access to Blue Sky before Chair 5 opens. I'll defer to Vail locals to tell us what the typical sequence is for opening terrain.
We are well ahead of the past two season so far, but the forecast is for limited new snow the next week or so. Temps have been cold with less sun than usual, so I would imagine that portions of the back bowls are not too far away. If we get a couple decent storms before/during your trip, skiing should be very good. Check out the mountain cams during daytime to get an idea of current coverage http://www.vail.com/mountain/current-conditions/mountain-cams.aspx
Which were among the worst early seasons in Front Range Colorado history, so not saying much. However, terrain openings are slightly above the average stats since 1988. So all that's needed is normal snowfall for the next 2+ weeks. Next week predicted dry will likely make the mid-December stats right about average.
Chairs 5 & 17 were open for at least part of the day today- I did not make it back there but it sounds like it did not ski as nice as the front side (and Game Creek) which was in very nice shape overall. I was told coverage was decent except for the bottom, but with a fair amount of crud (according to a skier who seemed like they may not have been the greatest in variable snow conditions).
- › Bomberskiclinic stowe / Alta lodge powder tracks 8 minutes ago
- › Instructor recommendation for Stratton 20 minutes ago
- › Saving boots for another kid 23 minutes ago
- › Another What ski/size question, with a twist... 31 minutes ago
- › What do you take when resort skiing? 32 minutes ago
- › Ski Instructor Demo: Short video of TDK skiing in St Anton 35 minutes ago
- › 2016-2017 Four Corners (S.CO/AZ/NM) Weather Discussion 47 minutes ago
- › Telluride March 11-18 2017 50 minutes ago
- › Big Bear 2016-2017 56 minutes ago
- › 2016-17 Northeast Region — Weather, Stoke, Craic . . . 56 minutes ago
- › Tecnica Diablo Race Pro 110 Ski Boot - Men's by CowTown
- › 2015 Head Cyclic 115 Ski by snokat
- › 2014 Nordica Dobermann SLR EVO Ski by g-force
- › Sunrise Park Resort by mitchsb
- › Black Mountain of Maine by Maineac
- › Camden Snow Bowl by Maineac
- › Mt. Abram Family Resort by Maineac
- › Shawnee Peak Ski Area by Maineac
- › Chepelare by Tom Tough
- › 2014 K2 AMP Charger Ski by Jhernon
- › Undeterred Courage: An Interview with High...
- › Park City 2.0
- › Forsake Sneakerboots - The Convergence of...
- › Feeder Hill Highlights - Snow Ridge Ski Area...
- › EpicSki Interview with James Niehues
- › 2017 Nordica Women's Santa Ana Skis
- › 2017 Nordica Men's Alpine Ski Collection
- › Head Joy Collection - Women's Skis Done...
- › 2016/17 Multi-Pass Options
- › Learn to Ski in Summer