When does the blue sky basin at Vail usually open?
- itemVail Resorttagged by Laurel Hill Crazie, 12/9/13
Related Forum Threads
- Colorado Dec 16-23.. Time to change plans ?? Last post on Yesterday at 2:39 pm in Resorts, Conditions & Travel
- Where should I go for a ski vacation? [Feb family trip, non-skiing mom, from MA] Last post on 11/14/16 at 8:42am in General Skiing Discussion
- Trip in Feb. Need advice on when to buy passes [family, 4 ski days at Vail, Keystone, Breck] Last post on 9/11/16 at 6:34pm in Resorts, Conditions & Travel
- Vail vs Alta/Bird Last post on 9/13/16 at 7:21pm in Resorts, Conditions & Travel
- The "Park City Effect": UT Records Best Skier Visits Last post on 7/27/16 at 8:19pm in Skiing News
2016/17 Multi-Pass Options
Last edited: 10/24/16
- The Future of Jay Peak and Burke Mountain ResortLast edited: 6/15/16
Flumserberg is a nice day trip ski resort about an hour train ride from Zurich (or drive). I skied here as a midweek season pass holder for a couple of seasons. Midweek it has small lift lines,...
For any east coast skiers this is like Mad River Glen with wider slopes and big drops to jump off of along with skiing between the trees. Just an all out amazing ski area. Simple and great...
I really love this place, it doesn't have the crowds that the other places around Ottawa have, but this is a legit ski place and is one of those hidden gems that hardcore ski guys/gals love. They...
Good for high volumn, pronated feet, i.e: This is the anti-matter Lange XLR/Banshe/Comp but still very good for people with wider, flatter, lower arched feet who needed or wanted a stiffer boot....
Great performance , tecnica design is outstanding
- The Future of Jay Peak and Burke Mountain Resort
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Vail is at least 95% open by Christmas in half of seasons. Vail is at least 93% open in mid-December in a quarter of seasons.
I would not presume that Blue Sky is the last to open. The original back bowl (Chair 5) is moderately steep with a lot of south exposure. The more intermediate pitched China Bowl could provide access to Blue Sky before Chair 5 opens. I'll defer to Vail locals to tell us what the typical sequence is for opening terrain.
We are well ahead of the past two season so far, but the forecast is for limited new snow the next week or so. Temps have been cold with less sun than usual, so I would imagine that portions of the back bowls are not too far away. If we get a couple decent storms before/during your trip, skiing should be very good. Check out the mountain cams during daytime to get an idea of current coverage http://www.vail.com/mountain/current-conditions/mountain-cams.aspx
Which were among the worst early seasons in Front Range Colorado history, so not saying much. However, terrain openings are slightly above the average stats since 1988. So all that's needed is normal snowfall for the next 2+ weeks. Next week predicted dry will likely make the mid-December stats right about average.
Chairs 5 & 17 were open for at least part of the day today- I did not make it back there but it sounds like it did not ski as nice as the front side (and Game Creek) which was in very nice shape overall. I was told coverage was decent except for the bottom, but with a fair amount of crud (according to a skier who seemed like they may not have been the greatest in variable snow conditions).
- › Long Leg Short Leg - improve your carving 1 minute ago
- › The Narrower Stance? 1 minute ago
- › Skiing with FAI (Pincher Hip Impingement) and Internal Femur Rotation 6 minutes ago
- › All mountain skis for my son - expert, 5'9", 132 # 9 minutes ago
- › Winter 2016-17 What are your Skiing Goals? 17 minutes ago
- › How To Record Skiing Videos Like This?? 18 minutes ago
- › Calling all Minnesota Epicskiers 2016-2017 19 minutes ago
- › PA/DE/So. NJ 2016/2017 21 minutes ago
- › 2016-17 Utah weather, news, and chat 33 minutes ago
- › Meanwhile, in Montreal 42 minutes ago
- › Flumserberg by willyofoz
- › Kirkwood Mountain Resort by Debbie Burke
- › Mont Sainte Marie by Charles J White
- › 1988 Salomon SX91 Equipe by aarrkk
- › Tecnica Diablo Race Pro 110 Ski Boot - Men's by CowTown
- › 2015 Head Cyclic 115 Ski by snokat
- › 2014 Nordica Dobermann SLR EVO Ski by g-force
- › Sunrise Park Resort by mitchsb
- › Black Mountain of Maine by Maineac
- › Camden Snow Bowl by Maineac
- › The Ins and Outs of Proper Layering
- › 2017 Smith ChromaPop - It's Basically...
- › EpicSki Interview with Jess McMillan
- › Epic Ski Image of the Month Contest Terms and...
- › Undeterred Courage: An Interview with High...
- › Park City 2.0
- › Forsake Sneakerboots - The Convergence of...
- › Feeder Hill Highlights - Snow Ridge Ski Area...
- › EpicSki Interview with James Niehues
- › 2017 Nordica Women's Santa Ana Skis