When does the blue sky basin at Vail usually open?
- itemVail Resorttagged by Laurel Hill Crazie, 12/9/13
Related Forum Threads
- Spring Skiing in ColoRADo! March 17 - 19 Last post on 3/23/17 at 8:00am in Trip Reports
- Conditions + resort advice - Late March 2017 Last post on 3/13/17 at 5:12pm in Resorts, Conditions & Travel
- Beautiful Day @ Vail with Mr and Mrs SkiMangoJazz, 3/2/17 Last post on 3/2/17 at 8:21pm in Trip Reports
- Vail Bluebird Day Last post on 3/1/17 at 9:57pm in Trip Reports
- 2017 Geezer Snowbirds Tour Last post on 3/14/17 at 6:22pm in Trip Reports
EpicSki Interview with Patrick Torsell of Ski Cooper: Part 2
Last edited: 1/20/17
- 2016/17 Multi-Pass OptionsLast edited: 10/24/16
- The Future of Jay Peak and Burke Mountain ResortLast edited: 6/15/16
Great fitting liner and good performance. Lace up tongue give solid all around fit and with the power strap keep shin in contact with the tongue. The spot kit would help with tweaking those spots...
Great day use area for the Springfield /Eugene crowd. At 6000ft elevation it is above most of the Oregon rain. With 1500 feet of drop off a high speed six pack it is a real ski area. No Lodging No...
Why ski here? -Blue Mountain is probably the best value in Eastern Pennsylvania. It has two high-speed, top-to-bottom lifts. That means you can get a ton of skiing in. At nearby mountains like Elk...
After seeing only two reviews, both of them from five years ago, I decided to add to Apex's reputation. If you're into skiing and don't care for the extras like shopping, cafes, restaurants,...
This is a great mid week mountain. Plenty of corduroy and no lift lines. They offer mid week deals depending on what state you live in which saves over 30 dollars. Nothing here that is called a...
Vailpost #1 of 912/8/13 at 11:50amThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 912/8/13 at 1:00pm
Vail is at least 95% open by Christmas in half of seasons. Vail is at least 93% open in mid-December in a quarter of seasons.
I would not presume that Blue Sky is the last to open. The original back bowl (Chair 5) is moderately steep with a lot of south exposure. The more intermediate pitched China Bowl could provide access to Blue Sky before Chair 5 opens. I'll defer to Vail locals to tell us what the typical sequence is for opening terrain.post #3 of 912/8/13 at 4:09pmThread Starterpost #4 of 912/8/13 at 4:11pmThread Starterpost #5 of 912/8/13 at 8:44pm
We are well ahead of the past two season so far, but the forecast is for limited new snow the next week or so. Temps have been cold with less sun than usual, so I would imagine that portions of the back bowls are not too far away. If we get a couple decent storms before/during your trip, skiing should be very good. Check out the mountain cams during daytime to get an idea of current coverage http://www.vail.com/mountain/current-conditions/mountain-cams.aspxpost #6 of 912/8/13 at 9:29pmQuote:We are well ahead of the past two season so far
Which were among the worst early seasons in Front Range Colorado history, so not saying much. However, terrain openings are slightly above the average stats since 1988. So all that's needed is normal snowfall for the next 2+ weeks. Next week predicted dry will likely make the mid-December stats right about average.post #7 of 912/12/13 at 7:00pm
Chairs 5 & 17 were open for at least part of the day today- I did not make it back there but it sounds like it did not ski as nice as the front side (and Game Creek) which was in very nice shape overall. I was told coverage was decent except for the bottom, but with a fair amount of crud (according to a skier who seemed like they may not have been the greatest in variable snow conditions).post #8 of 912/12/13 at 7:28pm
- 2016/17 Multi-Pass Options
- › We Heard You! 16 minutes ago
- › RIP Epic - Technical Help 22 minutes ago
- › Notification chain as a way to let friends and friends of friends... 28 minutes ago
- › RIP EpicSki 1999-2017 1 hour, 5 minutes ago
- › Death Bed Confessions 3 hours, 10 minutes ago
- › Who is the ultimate thread "killer"? 6 hours, 16 minutes ago
- › What, no hockey fans? 8 hours, 39 minutes ago
- › FS Nordica Dobermann Spitfire Pro EDT skis, 162cm , NEW 1 day, 1 hour ago
- › Praxis Concept 177cm w/ Salomon STH 13 1 day, 1 hour ago
- › Shutdown Procedures 1 day, 2 hours ago
- › 2018 K2 Marksman Ski Review
- › 2018 Volkl 100Eight Ski Review
- › 2018 Salomon QST 118 Ski Review
- › 1000 Shuffles
- › Skate to shape drill
- › 2018 Blizzard Black Pearl 88 and 98...
- › 2018 Nordica Navigator 90 Ski Review
- › 2018 Volkl Kanjo Ski Review
- › 2018 Blizzard Women's Sheeva 10 Review
- › 2018 Blizzard Bonafide Ski Review