When does the blue sky basin at Vail usually open?
- itemVail Resorttagged by Laurel Hill Crazie, 12/9/13
Related Forum Threads
- Spring Skiing in ColoRADo! March 17 - 19 Last post on 3/23/17 at 8:00am in Trip Reports
- Conditions + resort advice - Late March 2017 Last post on 3/13/17 at 5:12pm in Resorts, Conditions & Travel
- Beautiful Day @ Vail with Mr and Mrs SkiMangoJazz, 3/2/17 Last post on 3/2/17 at 8:21pm in Trip Reports
- Vail Bluebird Day Last post on 3/1/17 at 9:57pm in Trip Reports
- 2017 Geezer Snowbirds Tour Last post on 3/14/17 at 6:22pm in Trip Reports
EpicSki Interview with Patrick Torsell of Ski Cooper: Part 2
Last edited: 1/20/17
- 2016/17 Multi-Pass OptionsLast edited: 10/24/16
- The Future of Jay Peak and Burke Mountain ResortLast edited: 6/15/16
After seeing only two reviews, both of them from five years ago, I decided to add to Apex's reputation. If you're into skiing and don't care for the extras like shopping, cafes, restaurants,...
This is a great mid week mountain. Plenty of corduroy and no lift lines. They offer mid week deals depending on what state you live in which saves over 30 dollars. Nothing here that is called a...
Spent 5 days there during fairly low snow conditions with about of foot of new snow the night we arrived and 6 inches later in the week. It was cold and windy for most of our stay which meant that...
I created this account specifically to provide my review of KneeBinding. My hope is that I can help others to learn from my experience. My KneeBinding's were given to me as...
DO NOT GO if you are not advanced --- while I've been skiing for 15 years and am advanced-intermediate, this place scared me. There are NO runs I felt comfortable or easy, especially off the...
Vailpost #1 of 912/8/13 at 11:50amThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 912/8/13 at 1:00pm
Vail is at least 95% open by Christmas in half of seasons. Vail is at least 93% open in mid-December in a quarter of seasons.
I would not presume that Blue Sky is the last to open. The original back bowl (Chair 5) is moderately steep with a lot of south exposure. The more intermediate pitched China Bowl could provide access to Blue Sky before Chair 5 opens. I'll defer to Vail locals to tell us what the typical sequence is for opening terrain.post #3 of 912/8/13 at 4:09pmThread Starterpost #4 of 912/8/13 at 4:11pmThread Starterpost #5 of 912/8/13 at 8:44pm
We are well ahead of the past two season so far, but the forecast is for limited new snow the next week or so. Temps have been cold with less sun than usual, so I would imagine that portions of the back bowls are not too far away. If we get a couple decent storms before/during your trip, skiing should be very good. Check out the mountain cams during daytime to get an idea of current coverage http://www.vail.com/mountain/current-conditions/mountain-cams.aspxpost #6 of 912/8/13 at 9:29pmQuote:We are well ahead of the past two season so far
Which were among the worst early seasons in Front Range Colorado history, so not saying much. However, terrain openings are slightly above the average stats since 1988. So all that's needed is normal snowfall for the next 2+ weeks. Next week predicted dry will likely make the mid-December stats right about average.post #7 of 912/12/13 at 7:00pm
Chairs 5 & 17 were open for at least part of the day today- I did not make it back there but it sounds like it did not ski as nice as the front side (and Game Creek) which was in very nice shape overall. I was told coverage was decent except for the bottom, but with a fair amount of crud (according to a skier who seemed like they may not have been the greatest in variable snow conditions).post #8 of 912/12/13 at 7:28pm
- 2016/17 Multi-Pass Options
- › First Chair Introductions - Where? How often? Solo or with others? 1 hour, 13 minutes ago
- › March 2017 Image of the Month Contest 1 hour, 18 minutes ago
- › 178CM SALOMON QST 118 W/ AXIAL2 120 2 hours, 16 minutes ago
- › 2016 / 17 Tahoe Weather, Discussion & Stoke 2 hours, 20 minutes ago
- › Ski Boots - size question 2 hours, 22 minutes ago
- › Using the ankles to maintain balance and to increase your skills 2 hours, 39 minutes ago
- › 2016-17 Blizzard quattro rx 174 , like new condition 3 hours, 5 minutes ago
- › How fast do you ski? 3 hours, 27 minutes ago
- › AT setup for in resort use? 3 hours, 32 minutes ago
- › Powder or corn 3 hours, 39 minutes ago
- › 2018 Volkl 100Eight Ski Review
- › 2018 Salomon QST 118 Ski Review
- › 1000 Shuffles
- › Skate to shape drill
- › 2018 Blizzard Black Pearl 88 and 98...
- › 2018 Nordica Navigator 90 Ski Review
- › 2018 Volkl Kanjo Ski Review
- › 2018 Blizzard Women's Sheeva 10 Review
- › 2018 Blizzard Bonafide Ski Review
- › 2018 Blizzard Ski Preview