RLM opened the day after Thanksgiving with more of the mountain open than any other time in the past 15 years. There were 1,500 skiers and riders on opening day and since then conditions have improved. A fairly serious storm moved in on Monday and dropped 17" Monday and Tuesday. Snow conditions should be excellent but I heard reports yesterday that it was a near white-out on the highway from Billings. The interstate in Billings is in terrible condition, even 18-wheelers are driving only about 50mph. High temperatures in Red Lodge for the next three days are forecast as single digits below 0 with lows for the next four nights double digits below zero. If this keeps up, the entire mountain, including the Palisades area will be open for Christmas. After last season, we seriously need a good one this year.
- itemRed Lodge Mountain Resorttagged by sibhusky, 1/8/14
Related Forum Threads
- Red Lodge Mountain Palisades? Last post on 9/28/15 at 4:15am in Resorts, Conditions & Travel
- 10 Most Underrated Ski Resorts Last post on 12/6/14 at 11:20am in Après-Ski
- Weather forecast help!: Utah vs Montana Last post on 3/3/13 at 7:15pm in Resorts, Conditions & Travel
- Chair falls off the cable at Red Lodge Last post on 1/6/12 at 8:47pm in General Skiing Discussion
- Bridger, Red Lodge or elsewhere (between Christmas and New Year's)? Last post on 12/23/11 at 11:18am in Resorts, Conditions & Travel
Great performance , tecnica design is outstanding
The Cyclic is now in its 4th season with the only change being the top sheet graphics each year. No reason to change this ski, it is nearly flawless. Wider tip with rocker, camber, and tail rocker...
Nord-Dobe-Spitfire Pro EDT. GOD-HELL !! This is another ONE. Smooth. Damp. Grip. NO Chatter -At All. Warp-Drive. Nice transition from slip to grip. BIG SWEET SPOT. These were also the...
This is my home resort so I admit, I'm biased. But, I have been skiing seriously at Sunrise since 2009. It's located in the White Mountains of eastern Arizona. The main towns in the area are...
The mountain was almost lost a few years back, but the rally was made and it seems on solid ground. A very relaxed atmosphere and a nice lodge. Excellent crowded weekend escape from Sunday...
Red Lodge Mountain has biggest opening in 15 years
Gear mentioned in this thread:
As a followup, Red Lodge has continued to get more snow and is now skiing better than I have seen since I moved to Billings in 1999. The mountain is currently 100% open, all 70 runs and you can find excellent snow on all the ungroomed runs as well as in the trees. The green groomers tend to be really hard as are some other south facing slopes. I was there for several hours today and spent my time skiing the cutup powder on the runs and in the trees. The weather was perfect and it was a great day.
Sorry if I'm veering the thread but you reminded me of an incredible 2-3' bluebird day at my only trip ever to Red Lodge, back in 1993. I had half the mountain to myself all day and it was the good half. One of those ski days that you remember forever.
I was at Red Lodge in December this year and had a blast. Very friendly people/staff, affordable ticket prices, and some great terrain. I especially enjoyed Cole Creek; it's a great place to burn out your legs. Wish I could have hit the Palisades Area but it was closed. The Headwaters were open, but a little thin in areas. I'll go back to Red Lodge again.
Does the Lower Miami run dump you into the parking lot?
Are those the Atomic Rituals your skiing? If so, I may have talked with you while I was there. I had the Atomic Theories. Enjoy your season!
Does the Lower Miami run dump you into the parking lot? No, it ends at the Miami Beach lift. If you came down that ridge and headed way left you could end up in the parking lot if you're not careful.
Are those the Atomic Rituals your skiing? If so, I may have talked with you while I was there. I had the Atomic Theories. Enjoy your season! They are Rituals. I was only at RLM the Sunday and Monday before Christmas and I don't recall talking to anyone who was skiing Theories.
- Red Lodge Mountain has biggest opening in 15 years
- › Relatively New Skier, Need Some Help On Ski Width/Shape! 3 minutes ago
- › Ski dimensions advice [2nd season in WA, bought used Solomon Scream W] 8 minutes ago
- › Quadriceps Tendon Rupture, Repair and Rehab 17 minutes ago
- › Help me analyse some of my turns? 40 minutes ago
- › Killington Opens tomorrow (October 25th) 43 minutes ago
- › North American snow watch 2016- snow reports needed! 53 minutes ago
- › What Should our FEET FEEL? 6 hours, 15 minutes ago
- › Atomic Redster Ski Boot Club 6 hours, 22 minutes ago
- › Olin MKVI Comp DH skis 7 hours, 41 minutes ago
- › Alberta/Eastern BC - 2016/17 8 hours, 31 minutes ago
- › Tecnica Diablo Race Pro 110 Ski Boot - Men's by CowTown
- › 2015 Head Cyclic 115 Ski by snokat
- › 2014 Nordica Dobermann SLR EVO Ski by g-force
- › Sunrise Park Resort by mitchsb
- › Black Mountain of Maine by Maineac
- › Camden Snow Bowl by Maineac
- › Mt. Abram Family Resort by Maineac
- › Shawnee Peak Ski Area by Maineac
- › Chepelare by Tom Tough
- › 2014 K2 AMP Charger Ski by Jhernon
- › Undeterred Courage: An Interview with High...
- › Park City 2.0
- › Forsake Sneakerboots - The Convergence of...
- › Feeder Hill Highlights - Snow Ridge Ski Area...
- › EpicSki Interview with James Niehues
- › 2017 Nordica Women's Santa Ana Skis
- › 2017 Nordica Men's Alpine Ski Collection
- › Head Joy Collection - Women's Skis Done...
- › 2016/17 Multi-Pass Options
- › Learn to Ski in Summer