RLM opened the day after Thanksgiving with more of the mountain open than any other time in the past 15 years. There were 1,500 skiers and riders on opening day and since then conditions have improved. A fairly serious storm moved in on Monday and dropped 17" Monday and Tuesday. Snow conditions should be excellent but I heard reports yesterday that it was a near white-out on the highway from Billings. The interstate in Billings is in terrible condition, even 18-wheelers are driving only about 50mph. High temperatures in Red Lodge for the next three days are forecast as single digits below 0 with lows for the next four nights double digits below zero. If this keeps up, the entire mountain, including the Palisades area will be open for Christmas. After last season, we seriously need a good one this year.
- itemRed Lodge Mountain Resorttagged by sibhusky, 1/8/14
Related Forum Threads
- Red Lodge Mountain Palisades? Last post on 9/28/15 at 4:15am in Resorts, Conditions & Travel
- 10 Most Underrated Ski Resorts Last post on 12/6/14 at 11:20am in Après-Ski
- Weather forecast help!: Utah vs Montana Last post on 3/3/13 at 7:15pm in Resorts, Conditions & Travel
- Chair falls off the cable at Red Lodge Last post on 1/6/12 at 8:47pm in General Skiing Discussion
- Bridger, Red Lodge or elsewhere (between Christmas and New Year's)? Last post on 12/23/11 at 11:18am in Resorts, Conditions & Travel
Flumserberg is a nice day trip ski resort about an hour train ride from Zurich (or drive). I skied here as a midweek season pass holder for a couple of seasons. Midweek it has small lift lines,...
For any east coast skiers this is like Mad River Glen with wider slopes and big drops to jump off of along with skiing between the trees. Just an all out amazing ski area. Simple and great...
I really love this place, it doesn't have the crowds that the other places around Ottawa have, but this is a legit ski place and is one of those hidden gems that hardcore ski guys/gals love. They...
Good for high volumn, pronated feet, i.e: This is the anti-matter Lange XLR/Banshe/Comp but still very good for people with wider, flatter, lower arched feet who needed or wanted a stiffer boot....
Great performance , tecnica design is outstanding
Red Lodge Mountain has biggest opening in 15 years
Gear mentioned in this thread:
As a followup, Red Lodge has continued to get more snow and is now skiing better than I have seen since I moved to Billings in 1999. The mountain is currently 100% open, all 70 runs and you can find excellent snow on all the ungroomed runs as well as in the trees. The green groomers tend to be really hard as are some other south facing slopes. I was there for several hours today and spent my time skiing the cutup powder on the runs and in the trees. The weather was perfect and it was a great day.
Sorry if I'm veering the thread but you reminded me of an incredible 2-3' bluebird day at my only trip ever to Red Lodge, back in 1993. I had half the mountain to myself all day and it was the good half. One of those ski days that you remember forever.
I was at Red Lodge in December this year and had a blast. Very friendly people/staff, affordable ticket prices, and some great terrain. I especially enjoyed Cole Creek; it's a great place to burn out your legs. Wish I could have hit the Palisades Area but it was closed. The Headwaters were open, but a little thin in areas. I'll go back to Red Lodge again.
Does the Lower Miami run dump you into the parking lot?
Are those the Atomic Rituals your skiing? If so, I may have talked with you while I was there. I had the Atomic Theories. Enjoy your season!
Does the Lower Miami run dump you into the parking lot? No, it ends at the Miami Beach lift. If you came down that ridge and headed way left you could end up in the parking lot if you're not careful.
Are those the Atomic Rituals your skiing? If so, I may have talked with you while I was there. I had the Atomic Theories. Enjoy your season! They are Rituals. I was only at RLM the Sunday and Monday before Christmas and I don't recall talking to anyone who was skiing Theories.
- Red Lodge Mountain has biggest opening in 15 years
- › Best weather site? 1 minute ago
- › 2016-17 Northeast Region — Weather, Stoke, Craic . . . 7 minutes ago
- › Do police target skiers in your area? 9 minutes ago
- › Intuition liners to replace my Hotronics? 12 minutes ago
- › Boot Selection: 130 Panterra, Lange XT, Cochise, or Krypton 12 minutes ago
- › Calling all Minnesota Epicskiers 2016-2017 27 minutes ago
- › Am I nuts to book airfare to Zermatt (Zurich) now for mid-January... 28 minutes ago
- › Which binding for 110 mm waist skis 52 minutes ago
- › Powder, all mountain 54 minutes ago
- › The Narrower Stance? 55 minutes ago
- › Flumserberg by willyofoz
- › Kirkwood Mountain Resort by Debbie Burke
- › Mont Sainte Marie by Charles J White
- › 1988 Salomon SX91 Equipe by aarrkk
- › Tecnica Diablo Race Pro 110 Ski Boot - Men's by CowTown
- › 2015 Head Cyclic 115 Ski by snokat
- › 2014 Nordica Dobermann SLR EVO Ski by g-force
- › Sunrise Park Resort by mitchsb
- › Black Mountain of Maine by Maineac
- › Camden Snow Bowl by Maineac
- › The Ins and Outs of Proper Layering
- › 2017 Smith ChromaPop - It's Basically...
- › EpicSki Interview with Jess McMillan
- › Epic Ski Image of the Month Contest Terms and...
- › Undeterred Courage: An Interview with High...
- › Park City 2.0
- › Forsake Sneakerboots - The Convergence of...
- › Feeder Hill Highlights - Snow Ridge Ski Area...
- › EpicSki Interview with James Niehues
- › 2017 Nordica Women's Santa Ana Skis