These may not all be entirely my
errors, but it sure feels like mistake upon mistake!
Yesterday I started tuning my Geishas because I wanted to take them out tomorrow for my first day out; it's going to be single digits and packed-powdery on the groomers, which will be just loverly, and the Geishas would be a nice forgiving first-day ski.
After removing some sidewall I got the sides where I want them, and the process felt just like what you guys and the videos describe. But on the base edge the file never felt like it was finished cutting; one area would seem done, but with a longer stroke I'd find another rough area, back and forth, until I decided to just take an average, do some light passes with diamond stones, and stop there rather than run out of steel, hoping maybe everything would seem better in the morning.
It didn't. I started by marking up the edges and found different angles everywhere, and they didn't seem to make sense on either edge of either ski. Then I got the true bar out, and with good light it's clear that the ski is railed underfoot and some distance to either side, and base high everywhere else. The other ski is also base high except for underfoot, where it's almost flat. I guess it's not surprising that the bevels felt like they were all over the place. I can't remember where I brought them to be tuned last year, but I didn't ski these much, so the bases probably needed work even then. One would think that a tech would notice the convex/concave base and ask whether I wanted it ground, but maybe they don't even look.
Knowing I'd need a grind anyway, I just set my guide at one degree and went to town with the smooth chrome file that came today, with only minor regard for the areas where some base was getting filed. It took a long time, but eventually I got one edge pretty smooth, although I never got a completely smooth pass all the way down the edge. I was moving to the other edge when it occurred to me that because of the screwy base I was doing a sort of variable tune on one ski, with a straighter tune on the other because it's not railed underfoot. And that maybe I shouldn't be so blithe about removing base material.
So I give up. Rather than try to make this work, I'll bring my mangled boards to Sport Loft tomorrow for a grind and edge tune (and remind them not to give me somebody else's fancy treatment). While I'm at it I'll bring the Kenjas so they can check that the bevels are really back to 1/2.
I've learned a lot from the whole experience, but it's frustrating to have taken a day and a half to figure out what was wrong and not get to ski on my own tune.