or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › New ski advice [northeast, current Volkl skis from 2005, what to demo]
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New ski advice [northeast, current Volkl skis from 2005, what to demo]

post #1 of 25
Thread Starter 

I need some help finding a new pair of skis.  I have read through many threads and think I am in the right direction but would like a little help pointing me towards what to demo.  I am 52, 195, 6' and ski 12 to 15 days per year (Sugarbush, Killington, Pico)  Currently skiing Volkl 5 stars from 05.  I would call myself a solid 7 skier, about 80/20 Piste/off. Would like to spend some more time in moguls but feel current skis a bit stiff.  (Yes, it could be lack of technique too). Tried RTM 80 last year and was not blown away. After much reading, I am leaning towards Atomic Black Eye Ti, Volkl RTM 81, Volkl Werks (Expensive) and anything else I can be pointed to.  

post #2 of 25

5-stars are pretty carvy but were way too stiff for anything other than groomer zooming.  We're pretty close in morphology but I ski 40-50 days per year and have been skiing for 45+ years so you may want something a little less demanding than what I desire.

 

See this thread for lots of advice, much of it good:

http://www.epicski.com/t/122857/new-affordable-frontside-ski

post #3 of 25
Thread Starter 

Thanks, I'll check it out.

post #4 of 25

My experience with Volkl's are pretty much the same as yours. They are stiff, and the flex pattern is not going to do you any favors when it comes to skiing bumps. I'm 62, 6' 210 lbs, and ski around 30 days a season. Have a season pass at Killington this year. So we tend to ski similar terrain. My everyday ski this year is the Head Titan, which Head calls a 70% on piste/30% off piste ski. I want a ski with some off piste versatility, but I still need a ski that can excel on our New England hardpack. The Titan is not a great zipper line bump ski, but judging from the info you posted, that's probably not what you're looking for anyway. I find it okay for comfortable bump skiing, but there are probably better skis in the Head line if you plan on skiing a lot of bumps. The thing I like about the Heads is they seem to have a very even flex pattern that makes them user friendly. I've owned a lot of skis over the years, and I tend to keep going back to the Heads for that reason. Not saying that you should run out and buy a pair, but they might be worth a try. By the way, Killington has demo days going on on Dec 17-18, if you want to go over a try some. I'm probably going to show up to try some of the new stuff. I believe that's a Tuesday/Wednesday which makes it nice, you won't have the weekend crowds to put up with.

post #5 of 25

When I tried the Volkl RTM series in 2012 I was really underwhelmed. If you're looking for something more playful check out the Rossignol Experience 88. That is a great East Coast mixed snow ski. You'll be giving up some performance on the boiler plate but gaining a lot more in softer snow.

post #6 of 25

elan amphibio 88 XTI: great carver and nice in bumps and off-piste too

post #7 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by bliz1978 View Post
 

When I tried the Volkl RTM series in 2012 I was really underwhelmed. If you're looking for something more playful check out the Rossignol Experience 88. That is a great East Coast mixed snow ski. You'll be giving up some performance on the boiler plate but gaining a lot more in softer snow.

If you were to choose the E88, make sure you get the ski flat with a light weight binding. The TPX system binding version is very heavy (both in weight and in handling, IMO).

post #8 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheizz View Post
 

If you were to choose the E88, make sure you get the ski flat with a light weight binding. The TPX system binding version is very heavy (both in weight and in handling, IMO).

I agree! Even flat, it is not the lightest...

post #9 of 25
Thread Starter 

Thanks.  I will add the Heads to the list.  Your profile is much like mine.  There is just so much information out there it is hard to boil it down.  Head was on the radar but the Atomics and Volkls seem to come up more often.  I'm starting to think it has more to do with company promotion than anything else.  Once I can get some demos I'll let you know what I thought.

post #10 of 25

A guy I ski with a lot (Live4Ski) has both the Volkl RTM 84 and the Atomic Blackeye Ti.  He weighs about 165 and is a very good finesse skier.  He likes the Blackeye Ti much better than the RTM84s.

post #11 of 25
i've been skiing on Volkl 6 stars since '05 and learned to hate the skis as you always have to be "on". I demoed a few skis at the end of the season including Head and Kastle. The Head Rev 85's were really impressive. Felt like I immediately jumped up a level. I'm also in the East and didn't think a ski that wide made sense here, but the ability to plow through junk without being jerked around changed my mind. I pick up my new '85's on Monday.
post #12 of 25
Thread Starter 

Thanks for all the advice.  I demoed the Fischer Motive 86, Blizzard Magnum Ti 8.0 and the Head Rev 85 Pro.   Liked the Fischers and Blizzards each in their own way but loved the Heads.   Originally I went into the shop and was going to try the Supershape Rally but the shop convinced me the Revs would better suit my skiing.   They were right on the money.  Can't wait to pick them up.  Thanks again

post #13 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by picobob View Post
 

Thanks for all the advice.  I demoed the Fischer Motive 86, Blizzard Magnum Ti 8.0 and the Head Rev 85 Pro.   Liked the Fischers and Blizzards each in their own way but loved the Heads.   Originally I went into the shop and was going to try the Supershape Rally but the shop convinced me the Revs would better suit my skiing.   They were right on the money.  Can't wait to pick them up.  Thanks again

which lenght?

post #14 of 25
Thread Starter 

170cm.  They just felt right.

post #15 of 25

170cm? For an all mountain ski? At 190 pounds? That is way short... It's like you just created a new branch: the all mountain sl... :rolleyes

 

That's not for me! Tried a 177 cm enduro xt 850 and tought it was short....

post #16 of 25
Thread Starter 

You think 170's are too short? I'm on 168 Volkls now.

post #17 of 25

If it was slalom skis, I would consider it normal but an all mountain ski? I find it interesting...  Volkl, Rossi,... doesn't matter...what matter is the kind of skiing the skis were designed to do and what you intend to do with them...

post #18 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by mogsie View Post
 

...what matter is the kind of skiing the skis were designed to do and what you intend to do with them...

He demoed them, you aren't adding anything by questioning his decision.

 

(aren't you the guy with 15 pairs of the same ski type?)

post #19 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiteroom View Post
 

He demoed them, you aren't adding anything by questioning his decision.

 

(aren't you the guy with 15 pairs of the same ski type?)

Didn't saw that he demoed them but still find it short... and I'm also questioning out of curiosity...

 

Yes, I do have a lot of skis ( what is your point?) and the ones that I am selling right now are mostly skis that I should have bought longer...

post #20 of 25
Thread Starter 
Not a problem, that is what we are here for so we ultimately make the best decisions. This will be my first pair of skis in a while so I appreciate any questions or questioning of the process so far. Yes, I demoed them, but only in170. I am now thinking that once I found the ski I liked I should have checked a couple of sizes. I am new to this so I may have missed this point. I, being a white male, know that a few cm in the right spot makes all the difference in the world. That said, these skis come up to about eye level in flat feet. I don't want to fight with them either.
post #21 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by picobob View Post

Not a problem, that is what we are here for so we ultimately make the best decisions. This will be my first pair of skis in a while so I appreciate any questions or questioning of the process so far. Yes, I demoed them, but only in170. I am now thinking that once I found the ski I liked I should have checked a couple of sizes. I am new to this so I may have missed this point. I, being a white male, know that a few cm in the right spot makes all the difference in the world. That said, these skis come up to about eye level in flat feet. I don't want to fight with them either.

:rotflmao:

 

Eye level? Should be good for some time!

I began skiing more seriously 3 years ago and then was on very short skis... I then switch to 170 cm Avenger 82 ti and had a lot of fun on them...for one season.... Then switch to 177-180 cm at the end of that first season and for 2 seasons... I now still have some skis in those lenght but have also move with some to 183-184 cm at the begining of this season and just love it! I guess that, like you said, it is a (costly) process. One thing for sure is that I would never have been able to ski the skis I own now 2 years ago!!!

post #22 of 25
Thread Starter 

Mogsie, your last statement pretty much has me convinced the 170's are the right length. I get in 10-12 days a year.  At that rate, I need 2-3 years to get my level up to where you made the next size adjustment.  If I had more time on the slopes each year I could probably move up a bit.  You should find me this time next year and I can just start a program of buying your old skis as you move up.  Thanks again

Bob

post #23 of 25
You might want to give the volkl kendo a try in 177cm. I'm 59y/o 5'11" and ski it in 177cm. I think with the slight rocker tip you'll be fine. And as you get better, these skis will be there for you.

I ski at Okemo every weekend. So I know the snow your on. If you think the 177 is to long or slow to trun then drop down to the 170, but demo it in 177.

Have you taken a lesson lately ?

Oh did we discuss boots ? They are the most important part. Have you been to a great boot fitter with your boots ? Shon and Geek at The Boot Pro in Ludlow are some of the best in the area, I think Geek told me Carol is at Northern Ski Works at Killington, she is great too.

Get your boots set up right and the skis will have better feed back and overall should perform better.
post #24 of 25
Thread Starter 
I haven't had a lesson in a while so I should probably add that into the mix of things I need. As of now, my boots seem to be OK. Not ready to go for the complete remake due to both lack of time on the hill and lack of cash in the pocket. Maybe later. I will probably get a chance to demo 177 at the end of February. I live in NJ so I need the time to get up there. I am not wasting my time trying to figure this out in he Poconos
post #25 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by picobob View Post
 

Mogsie, your last statement pretty much has me convinced the 170's are the right length. I get in 10-12 days a year.  At that rate, I need 2-3 years to get my level up to where you made the next size adjustment.  If I had more time on the slopes each year I could probably move up a bit.  You should find me this time next year and I can just start a program of buying your old skis as you move up.  Thanks again

Bob

Yeah, I think you'll be ok and meanwhile, I'll put one pair aside for you...;)

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › New ski advice [northeast, current Volkl skis from 2005, what to demo]