or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Tuning, Maintenance and Repairs › Jaws of The BEAST Ski Vice. How I Use It. Why I Like It.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Jaws of The BEAST Ski Vice. How I Use It. Why I Like It.

post #1 of 18
Thread Starter 

There are many ski vices on the market.  I have come to love the Jaws of The BEAST vice for all my ski and snowboard tuning.  Watch the video to see why I like it.

 

post #2 of 18

Another very informative video, Jacques. 

 

BTW I learned that those Rossi/Look px bindings are referred to as 'dildo style' bindings :-) 

 

I don't like clamping skis at all. I can live with clamping down on race plates - even though they're not as massive as they look from the outside. The inside is mostly hollow. I plain don't like clamping down on sidewalls mostly for the reasons stated in the video. Clamping down on bindings can screw them up, and it's often not as secure as you'd like, they're full of moving parts. And for working on the side edge, I don't like the idea of clamping down on the base of a ski. Even with plastic jaws or rubber padded jaws,.... the softer they are, the less damage you'll do, but also the less secure the ski will be held in. It's like a necessary evil. 

 

So I decided to make a ski holding device that doesn't clamp the ski in any way. Clamps are only used to secure the thing to the bench. Works great! 

post #3 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvo View Post
 

Another very informative video, Jacques. 

 

BTW I learned that those Rossi/Look px bindings are referred to as 'dildo style' bindings :-) 

 

I don't like clamping skis at all. I can live with clamping down on race plates - even though they're not as massive as they look from the outside. The inside is mostly hollow. I plain don't like clamping down on sidewalls mostly for the reasons stated in the video. Clamping down on bindings can screw them up, and it's often not as secure as you'd like, they're full of moving parts. And for working on the side edge, I don't like the idea of clamping down on the base of a ski. Even with plastic jaws or rubber padded jaws,.... the softer they are, the less damage you'll do, but also the less secure the ski will be held in. It's like a necessary evil. 

 

So I decided to make a ski holding device that doesn't clamp the ski in any way. Clamps are only used to secure the thing to the bench. Works great! 


That's funny!  I felt a bit strange grabbing that part of the binding! :eek   I have some "Butt Crack" skis too!  ;)

 

I have seen a few types of vices that are not vices, rather ways to hold the ski down on two end supports. 

What I did not like was that the ski had no support at the middle.

To get the ski to stay down one had to apply quite a bit of camber bend into the ski.  Then when you worked on it it would continue to flex under the pressure necessary to work with while tuning, scraping, or brushing.

Others I have seen feed the tip of the ski under a padded pipe.  I did not like that because one could not work on the ski tips like that.

 

Thanks for your comments and be good now!  :beercheer:    BTW, please show us some photos, or and a link to the vice.  We can make it a vice wars thread!  That would be awesome!  All folks welcome to show your vice set up and why you like it!  Ready......Go!

post #4 of 18
Thread Starter 

No takes yet, so I'll do some more myself!  Here is a homemade "Jig"    I don't know the guy, but it is an add sort of. 

If you have some of those Volkl Unlimited skis with the super tall sidewalls these might not work.

 

 

Here is another new deal.

 

 

Show us your vice set up!  Or the brand type you like.

post #5 of 18

This is how I mount a ski up for tuning. It's painless, for me and the ski. 

 

 

post #6 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvo View Post
 

This is how I mount a ski up for tuning. It's painless, for me and the ski. 

 

 


No way!  We need a longer video.  Must be a big magnet.  With a few end supports you could be in business.  I think I like it.  Maybe one at each end too!

post #7 of 18

   I use this vise here (I've had it for about 6 years or so, I think) http://www.svst.com/ItemForm.aspx?item=SMWSP&Category=c71d25d2-e2f3-47a9-821e-15104fed6f28

 

Loading image ...

 

    Works fantastically--no problems with gripping a flat ski, plate or no. Rock solid when the ski is up on edge...4.8 out of 5 stars Thumbs Up

 

    zenny

post #8 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentune View Post
 

   I use this vise here (I've had it for about 6 years or so, I think) http://www.svst.com/ItemForm.aspx?item=SMWSP&Category=c71d25d2-e2f3-47a9-821e-15104fed6f28

 

Loading image ...

 

    Works fantastically--no problems with gripping a flat ski, plate or no. Rock solid when the ski is up on edge...4.8 out of 5 stars Thumbs Up

 

    zenny


She's a sweetie.  What do you think of the magnet?  I don't think all skis are going to stick like that.   Although the BEAST vice does not have vicing ends, I like how it has two slots for the tips and tails.  I have found that to be handy.  The super fat Volkl Unlimited just fit into it.  I think it was a 180 ski.  If it was longer I would have needed a longer bench though.   Sun Valley makes some nice stuff.  That vice looks to have very wide opening.  Seem to me the widest I have seen was 100mm.  With all the super fat some must be going bigger.

post #9 of 18

  Magnet? You must be talking about Elvo's 4 second video. If you pause it at less than a full second, you can see that it's actually a jig (wood?) clamped in a vise that the bindings click into...agree on the need for tip and tail support there. 

 

  The ski man vises aren't made by SVST, but are sold under a variety of brand names--like Swix for instance.

 

   zenny

post #10 of 18

Zentune is correct because I have that exact same vise but it's a Swix.  That vise in the pic has the best holding power with the least amount of clamping pressure of any that I've used.  I have a Jaws of Beast that I hated and now sits in a box collecting dust but if the Beast vise works for you, more power to you.

post #11 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentune View Post

   I use this vise here (I've had it for about 6 years or so, I think) http://www.svst.com/ItemForm.aspx?item=SMWSP&Category=c71d25d2-e2f3-47a9-821e-15104fed6f28

xlarge500%2FsmwspXLRG.jpg

    Works fantastically--no problems with gripping a flat ski, plate or no. Rock solid when the ski is up on edge...4.8 out of 5 stars icon14.gif

    zenny

Both my daughter and I each have the same vise, great vise.
post #12 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentune View Post
 

  Magnet? You must be talking about Elvo's 4 second video. If you pause it at less than a full second, you can see that it's actually a jig (wood?) clamped in a vise that the bindings click into...agree on the need for tip and tail support there. 

 

  The ski man vises aren't made by SVST, but are sold under a variety of brand names--like Swix for instance.

 

   zenny


Ah, now I see!  It's a boot dummy!   So if it can be moved to flat and turned over it seems like it would work fine.  The video is so fast I thought it was a magnet.  Good eye Zenster.

post #13 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques View Post
 


Ah, now I see!  It's a boot dummy!   So if it can be moved to flat and turned over it seems like it would work fine.  The video is so fast I thought it was a magnet.  Good eye Zenster.

 

   Yeah, Elvo's so fast he kinda reminds me of this guy :D:

 

  Clint+eastwood.+btw+i+think+chuck+is+the+epicness+of_506ff5_3608303.jpg 

 

 

 

    zenny

post #14 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques View Post
 

 I have some "Butt Crack" skis too!  ;)

 

 

Fischers? 

post #15 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvo View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques View Post
 

 I have some "Butt Crack" skis too!  ;)

 

 

Fischers? 


No. Atomic B5 construction.   I'm back to the shop.  Work to do.  At first the videos had the same thumbnail so you were so fast I did not see how you did it.  I like it.  Main thing is it works for you.

Don't work to hard!

post #16 of 18

Looks like I posted the same vid twice. The second one was supposed to be this:

 

 

So yes, it is a boot dummy. (No magnet) I figure it's the only way to hold a ski using the way they are supposed to be held: using the bindings. 

 

So yes, the thing does tilt to horizontal and vertical, and it's flippable. And I can adjust the boot size, like this:

 

 

 

And good point, I don't have end supports ... for now. I'm thinking about them though. 

 

Note about the vids: those are NOT skis I ski on. More paraphenalia than anything else. 

post #17 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvo View Post
 

Looks like I posted the same vid twice. The second one was supposed to be this:

 

 

So yes, it is a boot dummy. (No magnet) I figure it's the only way to hold a ski using the way they are supposed to be held: using the bindings. 

 

So yes, the thing does tilt to horizontal and vertical, and it's flippable. And I can adjust the boot size, like this:

 

 

 

And good point, I don't have end supports ... for now. I'm thinking about them though. 

 

Note about the vids: those are NOT skis I ski on. More paraphenalia than anything else. 


It's all good!  I like it even more now.  Figure out some tip and tail support system and you are golden!   Be good over there!   Thanks for showing us!

post #18 of 18

I am quite happy with my Toko World Cup vice in my home tuning room. However, it is very heavy when travelling.

 

I was on a trip a few years ago and someone had brought along a nice compact vice set that was made of PLASTIC!! It used a rubber bungie system for retention that was really slick. The total weight was very reasonable for airline travel.

 

Wish I could find something like that!!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Tuning, Maintenance and Repairs
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Tuning, Maintenance and Repairs › Jaws of The BEAST Ski Vice. How I Use It. Why I Like It.