or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Colorado trip.. bring ski or rent there?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Colorado trip.. bring ski or rent there?

post #1 of 14
Thread Starter 
Sup all,

I'm an east coast groomer skiier, and as such I own Blizzard Magnum 7.6 skis.

I'll be flying to Colorado this winter for a week of skiing.. and Im wondering if it may be less hassle and more enjoyable to rent skis at the resort, as opposed to bringing my own skis.

I'd need to buy a case for my skis(reccomendations?) and either ship ahead of time or fly with them.. and on the mountain im concerned the fun may be hampered without proper power skis.

Opinions?
post #2 of 14

Well, here's the deal, you have plenty of time to decide. I would wait till about 10 days out and then decide what to bring. Hopefully where ever you are headed has soft hero snow and fresh snow is in the long range forecast (just remember beyond 48 hours out is pretty much meaningless).

 

If you really like that ski (its a very good ski) and enjoy skiing on it, Its perfectly fine for groomers.  IF you get some fresh, it would be fun to try out something wider.  I would see if you could borrow a ski bag from someone. You could ship to/from; figure on $40-$50 each way via ground.  

 

IF the conditions are going to be soft and fresh is in the forecast, I wold go the demo route.  You could buy a demo package and have the ability to swap out ski's and try different ones which is a lot of fun'; a good way to learn more about rocker and shape technology and design ( you will learn there's a lot more going on in todays soft snow ski's than meets the eye)  

 

renting at a resort is typically not a big deal at all and if you call the resort, (depending on which one) you may find that they have on mountain demo tents and facilities enabling you to easily swap out ski's during the day. 

post #3 of 14
I think it depends a little on what your budget is, how often you plan on skiing out west this/next year, and who you're flying. Renting demo skis can be a great way to see what you like, certainly easier from a travel perspective, and gives you an idea of what to buy when/if you decide to pull the trigger. But then again, there is a lot of convenience in clicking into your own boards in the morning and away you go. You may also want to check you airlines checked bag policy, I'm flying Southwest this season and my skis will fly free. For me, this made it a no brainer to buy my own "west" gear. And who can argue with the pleasure of having more skis in the quiver biggrin.gif!
post #4 of 14

I think the question more comes down to if you want to stick with your own skis or not. If you tune your skis well, keep the edges sharp all the time, like to keep them in good conditions, or you like how exactly your skis performs, then it may be better for you to bring your own. Otherwise renting is not a bad idea either, but the condition of the ones you get may not always be in top shape and the they may not have the exact skis or the exact length you want. Some time it is quite a hassle if you are picky. You will still have no problem with the Magnum on groomers in west (we don't have as much powder as you think, and most of them are tracked off early and become curds, off piste or in the trees) You can always rent a pair of powder skis if condition demands, or you can rent 2 pairs. 

post #5 of 14

Personally, I would use the $ you would have spent on shipping your skis & just demo a nice pair of new boards when you get there. That way you'll have the option of selecting the perfect ski for the conditions you'll encounter that day. Plus, travelling with bulky skis can be a real pain.

 

And I'm a gear whore & really love to try out new equipment! :rolleyes

post #6 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsalami View Post
 

Personally, I would use the $ you would have spent on shipping your skis & just demo a nice pair of new boards when you get there. That way you'll have the option of selecting the perfect ski for the conditions you'll encounter that day. Plus, travelling with bulky skis can be a real pain.

 

And I'm a gear whore & really love to try out new equipment! :rolleyes

 

That would be my preference too. 

post #7 of 14

Shipping skis costs $30, flying with them costs $50. $60 or $100 versus $40*7 for a week of renting decent skis is about $280. Depends on what time of the year you are coming, and what the conditions are like. Feb/Mar, you'll likely hit a powder day or two and might want something bigger for about 2-3 days, so that's about $80-$120 if you bring your own skis. Dec/Jan/Apr it can be much more hit and miss and it'd probably be better to decide right before you leave (which likely rules out shipping them, so $100 to fly with them).

 

Only you can decide wether or not the if the predicted savings would be worth it, based on the conditions right before you leave.


Edited by Brian Lindahl - 11/13/13 at 3:06pm
post #8 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Lindahl View Post
 

Shipping skis costs $30, flying with them costs $50. $60 or $100 versus $40*7 for a week of renting decent skis is about $280. Depends on what time of the year you are coming, and what the conditions are like. Feb/Mar, you'll likely hit a powder day or two and might want something bigger for about 2 days, so that's about $80-$120 if you bring your own skis. Dec/Jan/Apr it can be much more hit and miss and it'd probably be better to decide right before you leave (which likely rules out shipping them, so $100 to fly with them).

 

Only you can decide wether or not the if the predicted savings would be worth it, based on the conditions right before you leave.

In that little calculation you might want to factor in the opportunity to demo skis you normally wouldn't ride. For example my Buswackers are capable of handling most western terrain (albeit not ideal), but I'd like to use a trip out west as an opportunity to try out something like the Rosi S7's which would normally be completely impractical back east here.

post #9 of 14

its just fun.  that's why I originally posted unless he really liked those ski's to just demo. Hell, why not demo. the process is simple and you can easily swap out the night before or reserve the ski for the AM.  no need to drag to and from your room/condo either.  

post #10 of 14

There's "Whoa!  Look at all the skis I can try ... wonder how I can fit them all into one week?" type of people (like myself), and then there's "They're just skis, what's the big deal?" type of people (like my GF).  Of course there are also "This topsheet design is really pretty" people, and "I've had these skis since 1985 and they're still perfectly fine" type of people.

 

If the budget permits I would be on the 'demo as many skis as possible' bandwagon.  Finndog and I are on the same wavelength there.  That can get expensive as you could end up buying a pair 'cause you simply can't live without them.  Then again, when I travel I tend to take my own skis and still demo as many as I can, just 'cause that's my thing.  My GF takes her own skis and then reluctantly tries others when I tell her the reason she's not really enjoying the conditions is that her 70mm skis aren't quite ideal.  Earlier this year in Whistler she demoed a few skis, rented a pair of Bushwackers for the day, adored them, and then flatly refused to ski her own skis for the rest of the trip.

 

See if you can borrow a wheelie ski bag, or buy one second hand for cheap (they can get knocked around in transit).

 

Whatever you do you'll be sliding around on snow and having fun.  Can't really go wrong with that.

 

Enjoy!

post #11 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinbad7 View Post

There's "Whoa!  Look at all the skis I can try ... wonder how I can fit them all into one week?" type of people (like myself), and then there's "They're just skis, what's the big deal?" type of people (like my GF).  Of course there are also "This topsheet design is really pretty" people, and "I've had these skis since 1985 and they're still perfectly fine" type of people.

If the budget permits I would be on the 'demo as many skis as possible' bandwagon.  Finndog and I are on the same wavelength there.  That can get expensive as you could end up buying a pair 'cause you simply can't live without them.  Then again, when I travel I tend to take my own skis and still demo as many as I can, just 'cause that's my thing.  My GF takes her own skis and then reluctantly tries others when I tell her the reason she's not really enjoying the conditions is that her 70mm skis aren't quite ideal.  Earlier this year in Whistler she demoed a few skis, rented a pair of Bushwackers for the day, adored them, and then flatly refused to ski her own skis for the rest of the trip.

See if you can borrow a wheelie ski bag, or buy one second hand for cheap (they can get knocked around in transit).

Whatever you do you'll be sliding around on snow and having fun.  Can't really go wrong with that.

Enjoy!

Yeeeessss the top sheet is the most important factor when choosing a pair of skis~
post #12 of 14

fwiw i own the same skis and will be taking them out west. If conditions call for powder I will demo if not I will use my skis get better on them and enjoy the trip without dealing with changing out gear every day. To me my gear alleviates adjusting to new stuff or having issues.

post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaserPower View Post


Yeeeessss the top sheet is the most important factor when choosing a pair of skis~

 

well, what Sindbad said is true and while I am in the camp of being ski obsessed ( I am fascinated by ski design and the "on the snow performance experience"). , I really couldn't give two craps about topsheets; that said if someone really gets into them and feels that a good looking topsheet helps them realize more joy from skiing, more power to them. Skiing is an experience and for many that includes getting the vibe set: clothes, socks underwear and topsheets; if everything isn't​ just right, they can't ski.  Thumbs Up 

post #14 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioskier View Post
 

fwiw i own the same skis and will be taking them out west. If conditions call for powder I will demo if not I will use my skis get better on them and enjoy the trip without dealing with changing out gear every day. To me my gear alleviates adjusting to new stuff or having issues.

 

 

there is no need to change out everyday is you are not into trying different ski's. You can keep them for your stay. On advantage is that almost all shops at the bases will let you store them there.

 

Another option for folks are the ski delivery services like "black tie rental" who bring your gear to you and pick it up at the end of the stay.  

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Colorado trip.. bring ski or rent there?