or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › General Skiing Discussion › Thanksgiving Colorado trip ?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Thanksgiving Colorado trip ?

post #1 of 12
Thread Starter 
I live in cincinnati oh., my son has the week of thanksgiving off of school. Do you guys and gals think the conditions woul be good enough to make it worth driving out for a couple of days of early season skiing?
post #2 of 12

It might be OK as long as it doesn't rain a lot or get warm out there the week before you arrive.  I wouldn't book anything until three or four days ahead of time unless conditions are already off the charts for November.

post #3 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinjun View Post

I live in cincinnati oh., my son has the week of thanksgiving off of school. Do you guys and gals think the conditions woul be good enough to make it worth driving out for a couple of days of early season skiing?

It looks like the 2 week forecast has lots of little storms, but not game changing precipitation. Conditions should be pretty decent for Thanksgiving, but not amazing.
post #4 of 12
Thanksgiving is late this year but I have rarely seen very good skiing in Colorado
during this holiday .

I'm not sure you want to spend your money skiing 4-5 out of 200 runs at some of these resorts .
post #5 of 12

Driving, wait till the last minute then decide.  Right now I'd say no, but that also depends on if you have other opportunities.

post #6 of 12

Like others have said, the amount of available terrain can be hit or miss.  I was at Copper yesterday and some of the higher elevations have a decent amount of natural snow on the closed runs, but the natural coverage is thinner down low.  In terms of crowds, Monday-Thursday of that week will be better than Friday and Saturday.

post #7 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by MEfree30 View Post
 

 In terms of crowds, Monday-Thursday of that week will be better than Friday and Saturday.

 

Aspen's opening top to bottom this weekend.  Might be worth the extra couple of hours in the car if you do decide to come.

 

I usually fly, but I'm driving out at Christmas so that I can bring some of my kids friends.

post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by MEfree30 View Post
 

Like others have said, the amount of available terrain can be hit or miss.  I was at Copper yesterday and some of the higher elevations have a decent amount of natural snow on the closed runs, but the natural coverage is thinner down low.  In terms of crowds, Monday-Thursday of that week will be better than Friday and Saturday.


Yea and Copper's base elevation is one of the highest in the U.S. .One of the reasons the US Ski team

trains there so they can start early.

post #9 of 12

So how many runs are opening?

post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by crgildart View Post

It might be OK as long as it doesn't rain a lot

Rain? Do tell wink.gif
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmypowder View Post

So how many runs are opening?

Usually all the runs off of Ajax express, plus Copper and Spar all the way down. Maybe 3 or 4 easy expert runs and a bunch of really good groomers.
Respectable terrain, considering it's before Thanksgiving.
post #12 of 12

Just came from two day skiing , Keystone  and A-Basin . Both are surprisingly good as far as conditions, especially A-basin, Keystone became icy in the afternoon. 

 

You have to consider that only several runs are open and weekends are quite busy ...

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Skiing Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › General Skiing Discussion › Thanksgiving Colorado trip ?