or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Mounting Point for 2012-2013 Line Mr. Pollard Opus
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Mounting Point for 2012-2013 Line Mr. Pollard Opus

Poll Results: Where should I mount the '12-'13 Line Mr. Pollard Opus?

 
  • 60% (3)
    -20mm (Eric's Choice)
  • 40% (2)
    -60mm (Line's '13-'14 new recommended mounting location)
  • 0% (0)
    In between.
5 Total Votes  
post #1 of 15
Thread Starter 

So I just ordered the 2012-2013 Line Mr. Pollard Opus in 192 length.  From everything I've read and what I understand, the 2012-2013 MPS is the same ski as the '13-'14 version with a different top-sheet. But, I've heard that Line is now recommending -60mm mounting point for the '13-'14 rather than the -20mm for '12-'13 (Line's now calling -20mm "Eric's Choice").

 

My question is, for anyone with experience with the Opus', where should I mount them? -20mm? -60mm? Or somewhere in between?

 

I'm 6'4", 205 advanced to expert skier. I like charging hard, but I don't ski switch (terrible at it).  I'm going to use these for deep days more than steeps.

 

Thanks in advance...

post #2 of 15
If you're not going to be skiing switch, I can't see a reason to NOT use the recommended line.
post #3 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO661 View Post

If you're not going to be skiing switch, I can't see a reason to NOT use the recommended line.

Regardless of how much you might intent to skis these switch, these are designed to be mounted at -2cm. The basically symmetrical dimensions and equal tip and trail rocker lend to a more forward mount. I think you'd be set  to far back into the rocker of the tail at -6. I wouldn't go anywhere but -2, but that's me.

post #4 of 15
Thread Starter 

Well, I appreciate both the answers... Right now, I'm leaning toward -60mm, because I probably won't be riding switch and because you've got to figure that Line changed it for a reason...

 

Too bad I had such a terrible experience with Marker bindings, otherwise I'd get the Jester Schizo's and be done with it.

post #5 of 15
Thread Starter 

Still got at least a week to decide though, so if anyone else has any info I could process, it would be very much appreciated!

post #6 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodGod View Post
 

Still got at least a week to decide though, so if anyone else has any info I could process, it would be very much appreciated!

Head over to Blister Gear and read there review up on it, lots of talk about the mount points. Also read the reviews on Line's site, a lot of 'old-school' and traditional skiers love it at -2.

post #7 of 15
Thread Starter 

Sweet... Thank you, I'll do that.  Where on the Line site? The forum?

post #8 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodGod View Post
 

Sweet... Thank you, I'll do that.  Where on the Line site? The forum?

Just read the reviews for the Opus and the Bacon when you click on the ski you can choose read reviews. They both have the same mount point and the Bacon is basically the narrower version so it's a fair comparison.

post #9 of 15
Thread Starter 

Awesome... Thanks, I appreciate the help...

post #10 of 15
Thread Starter 

Hmm... I emailed Al's Ski Barn at www.untracked.com and they were almost unequivocal about mounting at the -20mm position.  Here's what they had to say:

 

"From all the testing we have done (over 50 days on the Opus and Bacon) we have found that the ski truly skis the best at the original line that Line put on the skis. The reason they put the mark further back is that some customers are afraid the ski was mounted to much to the center of the ski and it was making them afraid to commit as they were not use to a ski mounted so far forward. The three main testers here range from 34 to 60 and it was unanimous that the skis should be mounted in the original location. Trust us we told Line it was a mistake to have the new mark on the ski as that is not where the ski was designed to be skied with the way Eric developed the rocker, camber, and taper on the skis to ski best. For skiers that don't ski center on a ski and try to drive the ski, they are the only ones we are really suggesting that you can mount them back, but for those with good balance we would much prefer the Eric's Choice."

 

Also, they have a review for 2013-2014 Mr. Pollard's Opus:

 

http://www.powderpoachers.net/skiiersforlife/2013/06/04/428/

 

 

I would say that pretty much settles it. At least for me. -20mm it is!  tsk94 you were right!

post #11 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodGod View Post
 

Hmm... I emailed Al's Ski Barn at www.untracked.com and they were almost unequivocal about mounting at the -20mm position.  Here's what they had to say:

 

"From all the testing we have done (over 50 days on the Opus and Bacon) we have found that the ski truly skis the best at the original line that Line put on the skis. The reason they put the mark further back is that some customers are afraid the ski was mounted to much to the center of the ski and it was making them afraid to commit as they were not use to a ski mounted so far forward. The three main testers here range from 34 to 60 and it was unanimous that the skis should be mounted in the original location. Trust us we told Line it was a mistake to have the new mark on the ski as that is not where the ski was designed to be skied with the way Eric developed the rocker, camber, and taper on the skis to ski best. For skiers that don't ski center on a ski and try to drive the ski, they are the only ones we are really suggesting that you can mount them back, but for those with good balance we would much prefer the Eric's Choice."

 

Also, they have a review for 2013-2014 Mr. Pollard's Opus:

 

http://www.powderpoachers.net/skiiersforlife/2013/06/04/428/

 

 

I would say that pretty much settles it. At least for me. -20mm it is!  tsk94 you were right!

You won't be disappointed. Enjoy them!

post #12 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodGod View Post
 

Hmm... I emailed Al's Ski Barn at www.untracked.com and they were almost unequivocal about mounting at the -20mm position.  Here's what they had to say:

 

"From all the testing we have done (over 50 days on the Opus and Bacon) we have found that the ski truly skis the best at the original line that Line put on the skis. The reason they put the mark further back is that some customers are afraid the ski was mounted to much to the center of the ski and it was making them afraid to commit as they were not use to a ski mounted so far forward. The three main testers here range from 34 to 60 and it was unanimous that the skis should be mounted in the original location. Trust us we told Line it was a mistake to have the new mark on the ski as that is not where the ski was designed to be skied with the way Eric developed the rocker, camber, and taper on the skis to ski best. For skiers that don't ski center on a ski and try to drive the ski, they are the only ones we are really suggesting that you can mount them back, but for those with good balance we would much prefer the Eric's Choice."

 

Also, they have a review for 2013-2014 Mr. Pollard's Opus:

 

http://www.powderpoachers.net/skiiersforlife/2013/06/04/428/

 

 

I would say that pretty much settles it. At least for me. -20mm it is!  tsk94 you were right!


Great info, and a sad commentary on the mindset of skiers who think mounting points further back equate to better perfomance in powder.

post #13 of 15
Thread Starter 

tsk94 - Oh I will!!! Thanks for the responses...

 

ecimmortal - It's like people who say you should only ski twin tips if you're planning on skiing switch...

post #14 of 15

Hello,  I'm new here... and fairly new to skiing and gear selection.  I picked up a pair of 12/13 opus on ebay a week ago, no bindings.  They are used and have been mounted with bindings one time.  After reading quite a bit on the web about where to get them mounted, i purchased a pair of bindings and asked the local shop mount them at the reccomended mid sole mark on the skis.  I picked them up yesterday, clicked my boots in and checked the mount.  The mid sole mark on the boot is 2cm back from the mark on the ski (towards the tale).  I went back to the store to inquire.  I spoke with a tech, who said that the old binding drill holes probably interfered with where they could mount the new binding (he could not find the person who did the work though).  Is this likely, to me it seems that whoever mounted them may have installed them where they thought was best?  From my research on the internet it seems that many agree with using the reccomended mounting mark, I'm worried that I won't get great performance out of the current mount.  I realize that I need to ski them and see how they perform.  My dilema is this, today is the last ski day of the season for me.  I guess my decision on what to do must wait untill next year when I can really test these out in better conditions.  Anybody have any thoughts on wether I should be disappointed with the shop?  I don't know enough about mounting skis to know if they legitimately mounted the skis as best they could.  I hope the -2cm mount (from the reccomended line) will be acceptable to me, and that the skis will perform well enough.  Thanks to anyone who may respond.


Edited by Clanceyi - 4/4/14 at 10:06am
post #15 of 15
-
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Mounting Point for 2012-2013 Line Mr. Pollard Opus