or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

First time to Colorado - Page 4

post #91 of 101

I'm looking at weather for 22-24 and am seeing rain in the forecast and rising temps (a high of 41 for Vail on 2/24?).  Is this going to make me want to re-evaluate our plans or is that normal?

post #92 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatcountry View Post
 

I'm looking at weather for 22-24 and am seeing rain in the forecast and rising temps (a high of 41 for Vail on 2/24?).  Is this going to make me want to re-evaluate our plans or is that normal?

What are your plans?  It's a 10-day forecast, I wouldn't put much stock in any of it. Plus, winter rain in CO is unusual, and if t happens, stays quite low on lower mountain. Go to ABasin or COpper or somewhere higher on that day, or stay off the lower lifts at Vail.

post #93 of 101

Breck Sunday 2/23, Vail Monday 2/24, it's a short trip.  We figured we would change plans on the fly subject to weather, but I was woried about things like white outs and avalanches blocking highways, not rain.

 

I didn't expect to see a high of 46 for Vail today with a 40% chance of rain.  If that is anything like where I live, when the temps start hitting the 40s, the snow just turns to mush and then I go cross-country skiing instead.  Obviously the higher elevations remain colder, I'm just looking for advice.  I'm looking at the mountain cams at Vail right now, but I can't tell if it is really raining there or what.  It's probably still below freezing right now.  Doesn't look real busy there for a Saturday, though.

post #94 of 101
With a snowpack as deep as it is right now, a 40* temp may not even be enough to actually melt the top layer of snow. A few days of that temp is not going to have an impact.

Rain is more of a concern, but it is exceptionally rare for Feb rain to actually happen. Valleys maybe, mountains no. It is even more rare for Summit to get rain due to the higher elevation and the moisture getting cooled as it gets pushed over Vail pass.

I wouldn't freak out.
post #95 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatcountry View Post
 

Breck Sunday 2/23, Vail Monday 2/24, it's a short trip.  We figured we would change plans on the fly subject to weather, but I was woried about things like white outs and avalanches blocking highways, not rain.

 

I didn't expect to see a high of 46 for Vail today with a 40% chance of rain.  If that is anything like where I live, when the temps start hitting the 40s, the snow just turns to mush and then I go cross-country skiing instead.  Obviously the higher elevations remain colder, I'm just looking for advice.  I'm looking at the mountain cams at Vail right now, but I can't tell if it is really raining there or what.  It's probably still below freezing right now.  Doesn't look real busy there for a Saturday, though.

 

I think the lifts had just opened ... it will be busy today!!

 

And I wouldn't worry one second about rain. This isn't anything like where you live. :D 

post #96 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by segbrown View Post
 

And I wouldn't worry one second about rain. This isn't anything like where you live. :D 

 

QFT.

 

Here's the Vail forecast:

 

And the Breck forecast:

 

Breck is a couple degrees cooler because of the elevation.  The top of both those mountains will be 10-15 degrees cooler than those temps at the base.  

 

Given that forecast you should have great skiing next Sun/Mon.   Even just a few inches next Fri/Sat will freshen everything up.  The only day that looks sketchy is Friday if there isn't any new snow after it cools down.  Even then the groomers will be fantastic, and the higher elevation and north facing off-piste will be fine.  No worries.

 

Note to plug a couple of my favorite areas: A-basin and Copper are not only higher elevation like Breck, but also have more Northerly facing terrain.  It makes a big difference on the bad days.

post #97 of 101

Perfect, thanks!

 

Quote:
 Note to plug a couple of my favorite areas: A-basin and Copper are not only higher elevation like Breck, but also have more Northerly facing terrain.  It makes a big difference on the bad days.

 

 

I will be back to ski those and others.  My kids are still small and it's tough to get away, but it's going to be an annual trip for me from now on.

post #98 of 101
It was about 37 at the base of Copper yesterday snowing all day. Upper mountain was plenty cold, really nice and creamy mid-mountain. My two youngest at the top of Rendevous. Not melting, eh wink.gif ?

post #99 of 101

Nice!  It doesn't have to melt and rain much to totally suck--I grew up in NY, skiing at places like Gore and have horrific memories from the '80s of icy slopes, scraped bare moguls, and edges that could not bite.  I had straight skis that were lucky if they were sharpened once a season.  West is not east, west is not east, I have very nicely tuned, shaped skis now...

 

We got about 3" of fresh here today, off to Buck Hill in the morning.

post #100 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatcountry View Post
...We got about 3" of fresh here today, off to Buck Hill in the morning.

should be a nice day for skiing in the TC for sure. i'm debating going to fight the fareweather carhart and jean crowd at afton.

post #101 of 101

...


Edited by deagol - 3/25/14 at 8:38pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Resorts, Conditions & Travel