or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Transpack bags

post #1 of 19
Thread Starter 

I was thinking of getting a Transpack bag for this season, but have read that they can be too wide for air travel. Any comments/suggestions would be appreciated.

post #2 of 19

I believe the measurements technically are too big for carry on baggage, but I have taken it with no problems.  If you remove your helmet prior to boarding, it squishes fine and fits in the overhead rack.  

post #3 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeedood View Post
 

I was thinking of getting a Transpack bag for this season, but have read that they can be too wide for air travel. Any comments/suggestions would be appreciated.

Welcome to EpicSki!  As with any large soft bag, it's possible to over fill a Transpack to that it doesn't fit in the overhead.  But can always take out the helmet and then it usually fits from what I've read.  I like the Transpack Sidekick, which is also a laptop backpack.  I put my boots and helmet overhead and then the Transpack fits easily under the seat in front.

 

Transpack also makes a rolling suitcase-type bag.  The way it's set up, the boots are in one half and other stuff goes in the other half.  I got one for my daughter last year and it worked well for her.  Can do much the same with any rolling carry-on size suitcase that is packed well.

 

Lots more thoughts about bags and boots on flights in this Beginner Zone thread:

http://epicski.onthesnow.com/t/89557/ski-boots-on-plane-flights

post #4 of 19

I have not had good luck with durability on the standard model Transpack packs. My next boot pack will be something else. My two cents. YMMV.

post #5 of 19

I have the larger model, and it doesn't always fit in the overhead bin without me taking one boot out.  It is usually stuffed with a helmet, boots, gloves, goggles, socks, etc.  I just take out a boot and place it separately in the overhead bin next to the Transpack.  It is well designed.

 

If you want the outside of it to resist scuffs, give it a coat of ScotchGuard before using it.  I recently sold my son's junior size TransPack (his boot size is now too big) and got decent $ for it because it still looked great after a few years of moderate use. 


Edited by quant2325 - 10/25/13 at 9:05am
post #6 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by qcanoe View Post
 

I have not had good luck with durability on the standard model Transpack packs. My next boot pack will be something else. My two cents. YMMV.

I would contact them about that!  Excellent customer service. I love their products and have been using the sidekick for flying with my boots gear and even my Mac book. I can't think of a better pack.  I have the new ski soft bag and its bomber as well.  

post #7 of 19

If anyone is looking for a good deal on a couple transpak bags, let me know.  I think I have two in decent condition that I would let go for short money.  They are used but still good.

post #8 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finndog View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by qcanoe View Post
 

I have not had good luck with durability on the standard model Transpack packs. My next boot pack will be something else. My two cents. YMMV.

I would contact them about that!  Excellent customer service. I love their products and have been using the sidekick for flying with my boots gear and even my Mac book. I can't think of a better pack.  I have the new ski soft bag and its bomber as well.  

 

Hmm. My family owns three Transpacks (this one) and they all have damage, including one major failure on a primary seam that essentially makes the pack useless. Not sure how I managed to be dumb enough to buy the third one. Maybe it was really cheap or something. We don't even fly with them. All the damage has been incurred in car, lodge, and minimal transit between the two.

post #9 of 19

If you can find Athalon boot bags, they are indestructible.  I have 3 now and wish I had bought a couple more when they had them at Sierra Trading Post

post #10 of 19

I've had one of these for 5 years, one of the buckles got chewed up on something, but otherwise bombproof. I pop off the boots and helmet and everything fits in the overhead or you can put the pack under the seat.

 

http://www.amazon.com/TEAM-PACK-SKI-BOOT-BAG/dp/B000WZYRU2/ref=sr_1_3?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1382672401&sr=1-3

post #11 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by qcanoe View Post
 

 

Hmm. My family owns three Transpacks (this one) and they all have damage, including one major failure on a primary seam that essentially makes the pack useless. Not sure how I managed to be dumb enough to buy the third one. Maybe it was really cheap or something. We don't even fly with them. All the damage has been incurred in car, lodge, and minimal transit between the two.

Ours all blew apart, too, eventually. The dog had something to do with one, I think, but they all eventually ripped or the zippers busted ... Got our money's worth, but they weren't bombproof. Trying some different things, now.

post #12 of 19

Mine has held up fine and I have never had a problem fitting it in the overhead rack stuffed with boots, gloves, etc. though I usually put my helmet in my checked back and stuff a laptop into the  middle section.

post #13 of 19

I eventually wore my 1st bag out after heavy use but that was a ton of flying and overstuffing it in overhead bins under seats and such. The bag is just too good design-wise to change to something else. For the abuse and time of use, I am very pleased with it overall.  Did you contact transpack? 

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by qcanoe View Post
 

 

Hmm. My family owns three Transpacks (this one) and they all have damage, including one major failure on a primary seam that essentially makes the pack useless. Not sure how I managed to be dumb enough to buy the third one. Maybe it was really cheap or something. We don't even fly with them. All the damage has been incurred in car, lodge, and minimal transit between the two.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by segbrown View Post
 

Ours all blew apart, too, eventually. The dog had something to do with one, I think, but they all eventually ripped or the zippers busted ... Got our money's worth, but they weren't bombproof. Trying some different things, now.

post #14 of 19
I have seen minimal returns on Transpacks for zippers breaking, they are put together pretty well but what issues I have seen, Transpack stands behind them.

This past season, our own Tog had a suggestion for Transpack, Top loved his but hated trying find black gloves, neck gaters or other small black items in the dark cavern of the main compartment. Tog said if he the inside was a lighter color, it would be easier to find things. I passed the idea over to the owner of Transpack, who I see every year at SIA, and he thought it was a great idea, he immediately told one of his designers who was present that they were going to make a change. So when you look at the new TVR Pro, you will see the gray inside.
post #15 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philpug View Post

I have seen minimal returns on Transpacks for zippers breaking, they are put together pretty well but what issues I have seen, Transpack stands behind them.

This past season, our own Tog had a suggestion for Transpack, Top loved his but hated trying find black gloves, neck gaters or other small black items in the dark cavern of the main compartment. Tog said if he the inside was a lighter color, it would be easier to find things. I passed the idea over to the owner of Transpack, who I see every year at SIA, and he thought it was a great idea, he immediately told one of his designers who was present that they were going to make a change. So when you look at the new TVR Pro, you will see the gray inside.

 

I totally believe that Transpack would stand behind it.  I just stopped liking the design  (never tried the Sidekick, I think I might like that) so I didn't really want another one.  When loaded, I found it awkward and heavy, and I actually hurt my thumb pretty badly on the strap ... which is my fault, but I caught it on the strap more than once while sliding it off my shoulder, and so I gave up. I know how to take a pack off without hurting myself, I know I know, but for some reason I kept forgetting with this bag. 

post #16 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by segbrown View Post

I totally believe that Transpack would stand behind it.  I just stopped liking the design  (never tried the Sidekick, I think I might like that) so I didn't really want another one.  When loaded, I found it awkward and heavy, and I actually hurt my thumb pretty badly on the strap ... which is my fault, but I caught it on the strap more than once while sliding it off my shoulder, and so I gave up. I know how to take a pack off without hurting myself, I know I know, but for some reason I kept forgetting with this bag. 
I like both the traditional and sidekick Transpacks..for different reasons. The traditional Transpack is a boot bag that you wear on your back, the sidekick is a backpack that carries your boots. For air travel, the sidekick is awesome, it is comfortable to wear through the airport, has a great spot for a laptop and fits perfect into the overhead compartment. The traditional triangle bag does keep the boots dryer and warmer for day triping to the resort. Surprisingly enough, because the boots and helmet are stowed on outside of the sidekick, it can actually hold as much gear as a regular TVR.
post #17 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by qcanoe View Post
 

I have not had good luck with durability on the standard model Transpack packs. My next boot pack will be something else. My two cents. YMMV.

 

Same here.  We have 3 transpacks currently and 1 High Sierra, which seems to be much better made and had a lifetime guarentee.  We are going HS in the future.

post #18 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philpug View Post


I like both the traditional and sidekick Transpacks..for different reasons. The traditional Transpack is a boot bag that you wear on your back, the sidekick is a backpack that carries your boots. For air travel, the sidekick is awesome, it is comfortable to wear through the airport, has a great spot for a laptop and fits perfect into the overhead compartment. The traditional triangle bag does keep the boots dryer and warmer for day triping to the resort. Surprisingly enough, because the boots and helmet are stowed on outside of the sidekick, it can actually hold as much gear as a regular TVR.

 

exactly- I use the sidekick just for air travel due to the versatility.  The padded slot for my mac is great. When connecting flights and going to small turbos or CRJ's its super easy to quickly remove my boots and put them in the overhead and the bag under my seat. the Goggle pocket makes a great area for sunglasses, headphones and other stuff you use often.  there is plenty of room for power bars, and stuff while traveling. I usually pack my helmet in my main luggage so that's not an issue. It that bad gets lost, I can always borrow or rent a helmet. Depending on where I'm going I will put enough gear to ski with in the sidekick. You can usually fit a pair of shell pants, insulating layers (top/bottom) socks and gloves in the pack. Wear a mid and jacket on the plane.  

post #19 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philpug View Post


I like both the traditional and sidekick Transpacks..for different reasons. The traditional Transpack is a boot bag that you wear on your back, the sidekick is a backpack that carries your boots. For air travel, the sidekick is awesome, it is comfortable to wear through the airport, has a great spot for a laptop and fits perfect into the overhead compartment. The traditional triangle bag does keep the boots dryer and warmer for day triping to the resort. Surprisingly enough, because the boots and helmet are stowed on outside of the sidekick, it can actually hold as much gear as a regular TVR.

Yes, I went to a similar design, with the boots and helmet outside. It's much better weighted for carrying, as well. I don't have the most gigantic shoulders and back, and a good hip belt is a necessity.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion