EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › Mountain/Resort Related Forums › Resorts, Conditions & Travel › Le Massif de Charlevoix (QC): going down....
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Le Massif de Charlevoix (QC): going down....

post #1 of 20
Thread Starter 

Don't know of there's a lot of Epicskiers going there, but Le Massif seems to be "desintegrating".

 

After some serious investments (new gondolas, train, new hotel) in the last years, they will be closing services on the mountain this year.

 

1. The chalet at the base will be closed (only washrooms and lockers will be available) and al visitors will to have to go and eat in the summit chalet, that was already seriously overcrowded.

2. La Charlevoix, the downhill training course, will be closed

3. The worst of all: they will lose one of the chairlifts (Maillard Express) that gives accès to the most interesting challenging terrain.

 

As Le Massif doesn't seem to mention this on it's website (there have been articles in local papers), I thought it might be interesting for potential visitors to know.

 

Meanwhile, ticket prices have gone up again.  On their Facebook page people ask to get refund for their season ticket.

 

Although Le Massif has been my "home" mountain for the last few years, but won't go spend too much money there this year.

 

Forntunately there's some other interesting terrain here in th Québec region (Mont-Ste-Anne, Stoneham) and Charlevoix (Mont Grands Fonds).

post #2 of 20

yup.. i'm not entirely sure what their business plan is.

 

They wanted to offer a luxury type experience with a train and the auberge in charlevoix but i fail to see how that can even be remotly profitable.

 

They have been talk of a deal with club med to instal a vacation village but that is far form being done. (and currently, AFAIK, there is no lodging at the hill or very close by.)

 

 

I don't think they can market the massif as a destination resort  in its current state so maybe they shouldn't try. I was always under the impression they get their skiers form the local region and from quebec city with a small portion from the extended area (as far as Montréal and north-esterern US).

 

 

so maybe they should concentrate on that.

post #3 of 20

I am sorry to hear that.   We love skiing Le Massif.  We stayed in Quebec last year and looked into the train. It looked to me like they invested quite a bit of money building the gondola from the station up to the hill. Taking the train seemed to be very expensive (included gourmet breakfast and apres-ski appetizers) also too much of a PIA as you had to drive 10 minutes out of town to get to the station. It felt like they were trying too hard for too few potential customers.  I always thought, selfishly perhaps, that it would be nice if there were more and better condo/hotel options there.  As long as they run a lift it will be a great pace though.  I regret not going there back when they ran busses to the top in lieu of chairlifts.


Edited by crank - 10/23/13 at 6:06am
post #4 of 20

This is very sad... The best sector.... BTW, Ste-Anne also is not what it use to be...

post #5 of 20
Talking about Sainte-Anne they are repalcing the chair on the far left with a high speed chair in a sligthly different allignement that will go back toward the summit (left of the gondola station).
 
post #6 of 20
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by yann View Post
 


yes, that's good news indeed.  RCR seems to have listened to the complaints of its clients, and are acting. 

 

Le Massif seems to forget local skiers (seems they are "too expensive") and they are entirely focusing on tourists coming from farther away that wil stay in their hotel and take their train (but will still have to ski a mountain in decline....).

 

a shame, really

post #7 of 20

Mt. Saint Anne is not what it used to be?  I haven't been there in 6 years but used to love it.  What has changed?

post #8 of 20

The owner of Mont ste-anne is also the owner of  (I think its revelstoke???) out west... And in the last few years, a lot of money and equipment went from MSA to the west... It's been on since a couple of years from what I heard from pass owners living nearby...

Last season: when I went,  it was really nice at the Massif but crappy conditions at MSA the day after...I should have stayed at the Massif!!!

post #9 of 20

I skied Ste Ann and Le Massif between Christmas and New Years last season and the conditions at Le Massif were much better but I assumed it was because Le Massif had more natural snow.  Does Ste Anne get more skier traffic as well?

post #10 of 20

Everytime i went to the massif i was disapointed (including one after a major storm). Maybe i was unlucky but it was always very crowded and allways icy (thouhg the time with the storm it was soft moguls with hard ice inbetween each bump). But since my bump skiing has inproved drastically since the last time i went there two years ago, maybe i'd enjoy it more now...

 

 

On the other hand i always had good experiences at mont sainte anne (my favorite QC mountain).  We really like the north side and the west side is always nice since it is vastly desrted due to only being serviced by a T-bar!

 

 

MSA is part of RCR i think so that's fernie, kicking horse, kimberly, nasika, stoneham.

post #11 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by yann View Post
 

Everytime i went to the massif i was disapointed (including one after a major storm). Maybe i was unlucky but it was always very crowded and allways icy (thouhg the time with the storm it was soft moguls with hard ice inbetween each bump). But since my bump skiing has inproved drastically since the last time i went there two years ago, maybe i'd enjoy it more now...

 

 

On the other hand i always had good experiences at mont sainte anne (my favorite QC mountain).  We really like the north side and the west side is always nice since it is vastly desrted due to only being serviced by a T-bar!

 

 

MSA is part of RCR i think so that's fernie, kicking horse, kimberly, nasika, stoneham.

I think this is it!

post #12 of 20

When you say losing a lift, do you mean they are not running it this year or is it actually being removed and sold?

post #13 of 20

Why did they ever build that gondola when it serves the exact terrain of that high-speed quad?  It never really got too crowded there either from anytime i've been there.

 

Also, if they're going to shut down a quad, why wouldn't they shut the one by the gondola instead of the maillard?

 

Why did they think people would spend the $$$ to justify the train and those other franco-hippy investments?

 

Le Massif rules the east in terms of snow (dishonest northern VT resorts included) and in terms of quality of terrain.  The only thing holding it back from being the king of the east is the limited number of runs.  How do they think they can improve business by an increased lift ticket price, with a 1/3 of the terrain?????

 

Mont Ste Anne is going to be the real winner here as most local $$$ will make its way that way.

post #14 of 20
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by epic View Post
 

When you say losing a lift, do you mean they are not running it this year or is it actually being removed and sold?


Hi

 

From what I have read, the lift will not be running for the next 3 seasons, but I think they will keep it.

post #15 of 20
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSchmoe View Post
 

Why did they ever build that gondola when it serves the exact terrain of that high-speed quad?  It never really got too crowded there either from anytime i've been there.

 

Also, if they're going to shut down a quad, why wouldn't they shut the one by the gondola instead of the maillard?

 

 

Never understood the idea of the gondola and it's location either. 

 

I think they close the Maillard Express in order to do less maintenance in the pistes in that area.

 

Last winter, La Fénomène et l'Écore were clearly already less worked

 

I asked Le Massif to adjust the trail maps on their website, to indicate clearly that the Maillard Express wil stay closed (they should in fact remove it from the map if they were honest), and to indicate as well that all the pistes accessed by Maillard will be difficult to get to.

 

Have spread the word among friends, who are posting on their Facebook page and sending them emails.

 

It would bother me less if they clearly indicated the changes on their website and if they at least didn't raise ticket prices....

post #16 of 20

I was at Le Massif this season for a week, the terrain was excellent, but I was surprised that the 2nd lower gondola was closed at the time, I assumed because I was there during the week instead of weekend, Every other chair was open though. Le Massif needs some ski in ski out and ski and stay type of places which I firmly believe it harming its growth potential

post #17 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles J White View Post
 

I was at Le Massif this season for a week, the terrain was excellent, but I was surprised that the 2nd lower gondola was closed at the time, I assumed because I was there during the week instead of weekend, Every other chair was open though. Le Massif needs some ski in ski out and ski and stay type of places which I firmly believe it harming its growth potential


Welcome to EpicSki!  Where else have you skied in Québec?

 

Note that this discussion is from a few years ago.  Post dates are in the top line (top left corner in Desktop mode).

post #18 of 20

I believe that the second/lower gondola exist only to bring people up from the train station.  In order to take the train from Quebec you have to drive about 15-20 minutes out of town towards the ski area and then pay an exorbitant fee for a gourmet breakfast and drinks and hors d'oeuvres on the way back.  We were last there in 2013 and the service was new  Looking at their website today I can find no information about taking the train and they now run a ski bus from hotels in Quebec.  I am thinking that short gondola was just a big waste of money.  No big deal I think the owner has plenty!

 

I believe his intention is to not build up big hotels and develop real estate.  I like staying at a mountain, but staying in Quebec and driving out for skiing is no hardship!

 

Edit: Funny, I just looked at the earlier posts and saw that I said something very similar regarding the train back in 2013.

post #19 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by crank View Post
 

I believe that the second/lower gondola exist only to bring people up from the train station.  In order to take the train from Quebec you have to drive about 15-20 minutes out of town towards the ski area and then pay an exorbitant fee for a gourmet breakfast and drinks and hors d'oeuvres on the way back.  We were last there in 2013 and the service was new  Looking at their website today I can find no information about taking the train and they now run a ski bus from hotels in Quebec.  I am thinking that short gondola was just a big waste of money.  No big deal I think the owner has plenty!

 

I believe his intention is to not build up big hotels and develop real estate.  I like staying at a mountain, but staying in Quebec and driving out for skiing is no hardship!

 

Edit: Funny, I just looked at the earlier posts and saw that I said something very similar regarding the train back in 2013.


Interesting.  The train still seems to exist for general tourism but clearly the Ski Bus is the alternative to driving from Quebec City to Le Massif or Mont Sainte Anne.  There was a multi-resort lift ticket in 2015-16 for all three St. Lawrence ski areas sold by selected motels/hotels.  Reminds me of the SLC SuperPass.

 

Your mention of the train reminded me of a blog article by the Ski Diva in 2015.  She attended an annual meeting of the North American Snowsports Journalists Association that was hosted by Quebec City Tourism. They were taken on the train.  She definitely liked Le Massif. 

 

http://www.theskidiva.com/oui-ski-quebec/

post #20 of 20
Best place I skied in Quebec for total experience is either Le Massif or Mont Ste Marie
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Resorts, Conditions & Travel
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › Mountain/Resort Related Forums › Resorts, Conditions & Travel › Le Massif de Charlevoix (QC): going down....