or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Deliver My Quiver

post #1 of 10
Thread Starter 

First the salients.

 

Where I ski:   Mostly PCMR & DV; Also LCC and JH

 

No. of Days:  Approx. 100

 

Terrain:  All types except terrain park

 

Phys.:  6'1"  185

 

Current Skis:  2013 Cochise 185;

                     2014 Volkl V-Werks Code 185

 

I enjoy the Cochise but they aren't the turniest, most playful skis ever.  I find them great at speed good in powder and stable in crud, but not all that much fun in the bumps and, again, not that playful.  I'd like to complement them with a pair of Rossi Soul 7-s and then have a wide ski for challenging fresh snow conditions and off piste, so perhaps Rossi Super 7-s.

 

I have the Volkls for hardback and Masters Racing and the Cochise for when I'm trying to beat friends down the hill.  But I like to turn, ski the fall line as well have the playfulness and fun the Rossis offer. So my questions are:

 

Does it make sense to get both the Souls and Supers?  They do overlap some and as it is the Souls overlap the Cochise.  I'm fine with the latter as the characteristics are different enough for both to make sense.

 

If I get both, the question then becomes what size for the Souls.  I'd go for 188 in the Supers.  But whereas I might normally get the Souls in that size too, perhaps I take them down to 180 to make them a turnier ski in the bumps and trees.  I really like the  bumps and want something right for in there and tight trees but would still want them stable at decent speed and a great all around ski, particularly if it becomes my most used.

 

Thoughts?

post #2 of 10

188 in the Souls for sure at your size and experience level.  I am 5'11" 185# and I demo'd the Soul in 188 and thought that length was perfect for me.  It skis "short" for 188.  For typical resort skiing with an alpine boot, no way I'd want 180 at my size, definitely not at your size.  The Soul at 188 will feel like less ski than the Cochise at 185, lighter, quicker "easier" - totally different feel.  Practically, the Souls will probably replace the Cochise if you like their feel better (especially if you get something fatter like the Supers for deep days) as they are a different approach but aimed at basically the same kind of ski days as the Cochise.  But if you are skiing 100+ days, you might have room in your season to ride both just for fun.

post #3 of 10
While the Souls and th Cochise are both One-Oh-Something's, they are completely different skis in on snow feel. The Soul will give you that playfulness you are looking for in the bumps AFD trees you are looking for. I would also suggest the 188' while they don't ski as short as the old S7, they will feel shorter than the Cochise.
post #4 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by LewyM View Post
 

188 in the Souls for sure at your size and experience level.  I am 5'11" 185# and I demo'd the Soul in 188 and thought that length was perfect for me.  It skis "short" for 188.  For typical resort skiing with an alpine boot, no way I'd want 180 at my size, definitely not at your size.  The Soul at 188 will feel like less ski than the Cochise at 185, lighter, quicker "easier" - totally different feel.  Practically, the Souls will probably replace the Cochise if you like their feel better (especially if you get something fatter like the Supers for deep days) as they are a different approach but aimed at basically the same kind of ski days as the Cochise.  But if you are skiing 100+ days, you might have room in your season to ride both just for fun.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philpug View Post

While the Souls and th Cochise are both One-Oh-Something's, they are completely different skis in on snow feel. The Soul will give you that playfulness you are looking for in the bumps AFD trees you are looking for. I would also suggest the 188' while they don't ski as short as the old S7, they will feel shorter than the Cochise.

 

Thanks for the input.  Makes sense to me.  I would have gone that way already except for a tester here pushing the 180.  Waiting for demo could be foolhardy given the demand.

post #5 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorenzzo View Post
 

First the salients.

 

Where I ski:   Mostly PCMR & DV; Also LCC and JH

 

No. of Days:  Approx. 100

 

Terrain:  All types except terrain park

 

Phys.:  6'1"  185

 

Current Skis:  2013 Cochise 185;

                     2014 Volkl V-Werks Code 185

 

I enjoy the Cochise but they aren't the turniest, most playful skis ever.  I find them great at speed good in powder and stable in crud, but not all that much fun in the bumps and, again, not that playful.  I'd like to complement them with a pair of Rossi Soul 7-s and then have a wide ski for challenging fresh snow conditions and off piste, so perhaps Rossi Super 7-s.

 

I have the Volkls for hardback and Masters Racing and the Cochise for when I'm trying to beat friends down the hill.  But I like to turn, ski the fall line as well have the playfulness and fun the Rossis offer. So my questions are:

 

Does it make sense to get both the Souls and Supers?  They do overlap some and as it is the Souls overlap the Cochise.  I'm fine with the latter as the characteristics are different enough for both to make sense.

 

If I get both, the question then becomes what size for the Souls.  I'd go for 188 in the Supers.  But whereas I might normally get the Souls in that size too, perhaps I take them down to 180 to make them a turnier ski in the bumps and trees.  I really like the  bumps and want something right for in there and tight trees but would still want them stable at decent speed and a great all around ski, particularly if it becomes my most used.

 

Thoughts?


This is why I cringe when the "flip-core" Kool-aid drinkers blindly puppet "Cochise"

 

Stick with the 188 Soul like Phil said.

post #6 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecimmortal View Post
 


This is why I cringe when the "flip-core" Kool-aid drinkers blindly puppet "Cochise"

 

Stick with the 188 Soul like Phil said.


I've wondered whether it was a mistake.  That said, I think of it as a speed ski, almost recreational downhill that can slarve and be fun in powder.  I need something for fast days and unless the Souls can keep up I'll probably still ski them when with certain groups of friends. In that regard it would seem to have a place in the rota.   But I'm betting it will come in 4th as I rank the four pairs in terms of fun.

post #7 of 10

I would go for the 188 in the Super 7's. They will be much quicker and more playful then the Cochise, they will ski a lot shorter and will be a lighter ski. AND they will also be your best ski for pow. 

post #8 of 10
Thread Starter 

I think I'm sold on the Super 7-s in 188.  I've never owned a dedicated powder ski before.  If it turns out to be fun outside those conditions it would be a bonus.  I sure would like to demo first though so I'm going to keep tabs on supplies in case they disappear, although that's probably more of a concern with the Souls.

 

Then again, for skis this popular that may run out, buying and reselling if necessary may not be a bad option, doesn't seem like in these cases there'd be that penal a hit.  After all demoing only goes so far.

post #9 of 10
The Super 7 will sell out, and probably before Christmas. If you want some, don't wait. If you don't like it, you'll have buyers. There are more Souls, but those will go too.
post #10 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by markojp View Post

The Super 7 will sell out, and probably before Christmas. If you want some, don't wait. If you don't like it, you'll have buyers. There are more Souls, but those will go too.

 

Are you saying the demand for Super 7-s will be greater or they've manufactured less?  There's a good chance Snowbird will open by December 1 and I'll be there although it's anybody's guess as to whether either model will demo.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion