or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › wife's skis - did I make a mistake?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

wife's skis - did I make a mistake?

post #1 of 16
Thread Starter 

wife: 5'6, 130lb, skied once 3 year ago(that was my first time too), and I finally got her into skiing this year(win!). A friend was selling a pair of 163 K2 Lotta Luv(2010-11 model I think?) w/binding for 250 and I jumped on it. I think this should work out since she's taking lessons at killington, and I'll let her use rentals since for beginner 163 is too long for her. but after she's done with classes I think she's going to progress fast and 82 waist/163cm with some tip rocker should fit her fine length-wise. granted it's nothing "bomb" or "cool" but I think this should work out. OTOH, this other skiing girl I talk to is against this idea and they insist that 163 is too long and 250 is not that good of a deal. what do you guys think?

post #2 of 16
Not the worse mistake in the world. What you have going for you is the Lotta Luv has a huge sweetspot and is a very easy ski to ski. With consistent lessons, and a good amount (20 plus) days on snow, she very well will be on them by the end of the season. A good tune and proper waxing will make them easier to ski and progress into.
post #3 of 16
Thread Starter 

Thanks, I'll see how it turns out. worst case I can still get some back by sending these to swap sale.

post #4 of 16

Like Philpug said, this isn't the worst ski for her, though there are skis that area ideal in that same grouping,  - One Luv, Sweet Luv.....

 

But the Lotta Luv has a big sweet spot and is very stable.  She should be okay.  If not, then demo something in the beginner line up and see what works. 

post #5 of 16

My first pair of good skis were K2 One Luvs as an advanced intermediate 5-6 years ago.  I skied a little before but not enough to make buying skis worth it.  Always had my own boots.  Assuming your wife does well with the lessons and isn't the timid type, at least worth giving the Lotta Luvs a try.  Should be okay.  $250 with bindings for skis in good shape is definitely a good deal.

 

Are you renting boots for her too?

post #6 of 16

I'd agree that a 163 is a little long for a total novice her size, i.e. skied once three years ago.  Perhaps she can rent for awhile and when she's feeling a bit more solid try the 163s out.

post #7 of 16
Thread Starter 

The skis are in good shape actually - first owner used it for <10 days and from what I can tell is not an advanced skier. a little cosmetic rust on the edge, base looks all good, only thing that I notice is the damper on the tip has some scratches but it's cosmetic. 

 

And no, I'm not renting boots for her. Having skied for a while I know boots are way more important. Already spent hours running around town trying boots and ended up buying a pair of Atomic Hawx 80 for her. Shout out to Alysia from Ski Haus in Burlington MA for working with us even after shop closed to get the right fit.

 

I know this is not the ideal ski for her as a beginner. That was not my intention to start with - I'm not buying her beginner skis knowing she'll progress out of those pretty quickly. What I'm looking for is something that she can hold on for a couple years before going all-out for something real good.

post #8 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesoloist View Post
 

The skis are in good shape actually - first owner used it for <10 days and from what I can tell is not an advanced skier. a little cosmetic rust on the edge, base looks all good, only thing that I notice is the damper on the tip has some scratches but it's cosmetic. 

 

And no, I'm not renting boots for her. Having skied for a while I know boots are way more important. Already spent hours running around town trying boots and ended up buying a pair of Atomic Hawx 80 for her. Shout out to Alysia from Ski Haus in Burlington MA for working with us even after shop closed to get the right fit.

 

I know this is not the ideal ski for her as a beginner. That was not my intention to start with - I'm not buying her beginner skis knowing she'll progress out of those pretty quickly. What I'm looking for is something that she can hold on for a couple years before going all-out for something real good.

Your wife has a very sensible husband. :)

 

There is a small group of women . . . and their skiing husbands . . . meeting up at Stowe in late Feb for a few days.  Would that be of interest to you?  If so, send me a PM.  I'll be there but not my non-skier husband.  He'll stay home and take care of the cat and dog. :rolleyes

post #9 of 16
Let's raise a toast to non-skiing husbands!
post #10 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by marznc View Post
 

Your wife has a very sensible husband. :)

 

There is a small group of women . . . and their skiing husbands . . . meeting up at Stowe in late Feb for a few days.  Would that be of interest to you?  If so, send me a PM.  I'll be there but not my non-skier husband.  He'll stay home and take care of the cat and dog. :rolleyes

Thanks - anything for hooking her up(or dragging her down) to skiing - so I can ski as well! lol

 

I don't know if I can make it the whole way - jobs, you know. And from Boston is a good drive to get there. But I help run a community group of 6k+ ppl, and I may be able to squeeze in a Stowe weekend trip for the group if things work out and I may sneak out...

post #11 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesoloist View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by marznc View Post
 

Your wife has a very sensible husband. :)

 

There is a small group of women . . . and their skiing husbands . . . meeting up at Stowe in late Feb for a few days.  Would that be of interest to you?  If so, send me a PM.  I'll be there but not my non-skier husband.  He'll stay home and take care of the cat and dog. :rolleyes

Thanks - anything for hooking her up(or dragging her down) to skiing - so I can ski as well! lol

 

I don't know if I can make it the whole way - jobs, you know. And from Boston is a good drive to get there. But I help run a community group of 6k+ ppl, and I may be able to squeeze in a Stowe weekend trip for the group if things work out and I may sneak out...

My daughter turned out to like skiing, so that was my way to get on the slopes a lot more than when I was working.  Now that she's away at school, I'm traveling to ski that much more.  Know Boston well because I went to prep school in Concord, MA.

 

I'll keep you in mind closer to the date for the Stowe get together.

post #12 of 16

As CRgildart said, 163 is a little long for a novice, but if you get her boots, she can rent or demo some beginner/shorter skis until she grows into the Lotta Luvs. 

post #13 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekchick View Post
 

As CRgildart said, 163 is a little long for a novice, but if you get her boots, she can rent or demo some beginner/shorter skis until she grows into the Lotta Luvs. 

 

Exactly what I'm thinking and going to do. I wouldn't put her on these for classes, but I wouldn't let the rental ruin her budding interest either - still remember that during my learning days, the rental shop insisted giving me 130/140cm rental skis when I'm 5'11. They bounced on not-so-fresh green groomers like crazy. I bought a rental-class pair at 163cm for $100 right after that.

post #14 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesoloist View Post
 

wife: 5'6, 130lb, skied once 3 year ago(that was my first time too), and I finally got her into skiing this year(win!). A friend was selling a pair of 163 K2 Lotta Luv(2010-11 model I think?) w/binding for 250 and I jumped on it. I think this should work out since she's taking lessons at killington, and I'll let her use rentals since for beginner 163 is too long for her. but after she's done with classes I think she's going to progress fast and 82 waist/163cm with some tip rocker should fit her fine length-wise. granted it's nothing "bomb" or "cool" but I think this should work out. OTOH, this other skiing girl I talk to is against this idea and they insist that 163 is too long and 250 is not that good of a deal. what do you guys think?


look into this: http://www.killington.com/winter/lessons/special_offers

if she is taking lessons at Killington this year, for this price it is a bargain and she will have gear sized for her and when she is ready you have the K2 for her

post #15 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowbowler View Post
 


look into this: http://www.killington.com/winter/lessons/special_offers

if she is taking lessons at Killington this year, for this price it is a bargain and she will have gear sized for her and when she is ready you have the K2 for her

 

I did, and was aware of this 1st day it comes out. In fact I know 50+ ppl has got this already. The reason I wasn't going for this on 1st day is that I know what we will get is essentially rental skis, and I don't want to go over the headache of getting rid of those. Another reason is that with the 4-day ski deal you don't get the 50% off card like 3-day classes, and I'm sure we can use 50% off tickets for 1.5-2 years rather than $50-$100 that we MAY get during a swap sale.

post #16 of 16

Ok,I didn't know all the particulars, just thought for a brand new pair of skis with bindings along with the lessons, for $249 it is a great deal, Elan makes a very good rental ski which can be used for quite a few years.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › wife's skis - did I make a mistake?